Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December General Banter

Gastonwxman

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol at the panic. So the month with the least amount of snow on average is not great. Let's cancel the rest of winter.

Yep - this weather has been absolutely closer to normal than not for most of us. Winter is all of 3 days old...how is it shot? I don't understand the "torch" mentality either. With the exception of the high country, what exactly do most people remember past Decembers being like that has caused such panic, because the recorded temps for the last decade say otherwise.

the last two Dec up here were great. Before that, I never really expected a snowstorm until after the new year. March on average is a better month for us than Dec. Also, the pattern went to crap after about Jan 20. Winter started early, and ended early last year. Maybe its the opposite the year? I have no clue, only time will tell.

Yep - this weather has been absolutely closer to normal than not for most of us. Winter is all of 3 days old...how is it shot? I don't understand the "torch" mentality either. With the exception of the high country, what exactly do most people remember past Decembers being like that has caused such panic, because the recorded temps for the last decade say otherwise.

I can't wait to put December behind us. Here is a few select cites and their departures from normal for the month. To put in perspective one of KATL's coldest Decembers ever was last year where we averaged -7.1 for the month of December. KATL leading the pack...

Through December 22, 2011

December

Atlanta +5.5

Charlotte +5.4

Hickory +5.4

Asheville +5.0

Columbia +4.9

Greenville +4.9

Athens +4.7

Columbus +4.5

Chattanooga +4.5

Raleigh +4.5

Knoxville +4.2

I don't have many memories of December like this. To each their own though maybe where you are it has not been as torchy.

I don't have many memories of December like this. To each their own though maybe where you are it has not been as torchy.

I am in North Georgia and I can tell you it has not been Torch this month. Has it been a little warm? Sure but then again besides the past two years December is typically not a cold or wintry month here. January, Feb, heck even March averages better on Cold and Wintry weather than December.

I am in North Georgia and I can tell you it has not been Torch this month. Has it been a little warm? Sure but then again besides the past two years December is typically not a cold or wintry month here. January, Feb, heck even March averages better on Cold and Wintry weather than December.

So Atlanta has been nearly 6 degrees above normal for the entire month and that's not a torch ? We've had several nights that were 20-30 degrees above normal. Many days where it was 10-20 above normal. I don't recall a lot of days this month where it was well below normal. It seems like we get a cooldown,which gets us back to near normal, then a day or two later we are way above normal once again. I don't recall a December this warm in my lifetime. And you are absolutely wrong when you say Feb and March averages better on cold than December. December is the 2nd coldest month of the year in Atlanta, definitely much colder than March !

So Atlanta has been nearly 6 degrees above normal for the entire month and that's not a torch ? We've had several nights that were 20-30 degrees above normal. Many days where it was 10-20 above normal. I don't recall a lot of days this month where it was well below normal. It seems like we get a cooldown,which gets us back to near normal, then a day or two later we are way above normal once again. I don't recall a December this warm in my lifetime. And you are absolutely wrong when you say Feb and March averages better on cold than December. December is the 2nd coldest month of the year in Atlanta, definitely much colder than March !

How old are you? 3? :lmao:

Seriously, it has been pretty warm this winter and we have challenged several record highs and even surpassed a record high-low for the date just last week. It's been warmer than I care for to be certain.

That doesn't mean I am cashing my chips in on this winter just yet.

How old are you? 3? :lmao:

Seriously, it has been pretty warm this winter and we have challenged several record highs and even surpassed a record high-low for the date just last week. It's been warmer than I care for to be certain.

That doesn't mean I am cashing my chips in on this winter just yet.

This December could be even warmer than Dec 2006 and Dec 2007 and those December's were around 5 above normal. MAYBE this isn't quite the warmest Dec in my lifetime but I don't remember many December's that were much warmer. Atlanta hasn't even had a hard freeze yet, unless you consider 29 a hard freeze.

You had to know we were going to pay for the past two winters. No way we get 3 of those in a row until that 30 year cycle Robert talks about kicks into high gear.

I definitely was not expecting a repeat of the last 2 winters. That's just too much to ask for. I was hoping we'd at least have a somewhat normal winter, and that's still possible since we have a lot of winter left to go. If we get just an inch of snow this winter I will consider it a good winter. I think the last 2 winters spoiled a lot of us and we have to come back down to reality. Maybe this December seems warmer than it actually has been because we are comparing it to the last 2 Decembers. Maybe the same will hold true for next summer. 3 great winters in a row is impossible, right ? So, we can't possibly have 3 horribly, miserable summers in a row, can we ?

I definitely was not expecting a repeat of the last 2 winters. That's just too much to ask for. I was hoping we'd at least have a somewhat normal winter, and that's still possible since we have a lot of winter left to go. If we get just an inch of snow this winter I will consider it a good winter. I think the last 2 winters spoiled a lot of us and we have to come back down to reality. Maybe this December seems warmer than it actually has been because we are comparing it to the last 2 Decembers. Maybe the same will hold true for next summer. 3 great winters in a row is impossible, right ? So, we can't possibly have 3 horribly, miserable summers in a row, can we ?

Seems pretty normal to me, looking back into the misty deep.... maybe a little to the warm side, but after a record breaking summer, and one that started in Feb, doesn't seem so out of place. I just think it is slow cranking up. We won't have near 80 on Christmas (that's a horrendous thing), and I've seen 27 a few times already. If we go all Jan. without a freezing night I'll grant you the warm tag. But that ain't gonna happen :) And get a freezing night with some rain, and all is forgotten. If it is 50, 60, or 70's, approaching 80's all Jan. then it will remind me of that winter I don't speak about............ one like that

that'll get the lemmings to the edge with rockets on.

But ship like that happens in Ga. Got to hate it but it just does. Just does. It's why you never meet a native Atlantan....this stuff has been going on a long while. Tony

Besides no chance for Wintry weather, another reason I hate warm Winters is because it gets so dead on here. I enjoy coming here and seeing a lot of activity and discussing weather with all of my SE friends. It sucks when there's no good weather on the horizon because not many people are around.

Besides no chance for Wintry weather, another reason I hate warm Winters is because it gets so dead on here. I enjoy coming here and seeing a lot of activity and discussing weather with all of my SE friends. It sucks when there's no good weather on the horizon because not many people are around.

Your right! When it is cold or models show something we have over 400 users on here. Now we average 15-20

I agree Cold Rain. I posted about this the other night. I've been spoiled over the last 2 winters when the board had a lot of activity. Hopefully things will change soon and we'll have something to track.

Hey Bro!I was referring to natural snow on open back country trails, not the man made ski slope snow.

sounds like you're forecasting an historic Winter, one with no natural snowfall in the mountains this year? I've never even read of that happening in the mountains of NC/TN, ever. So that would be quite a feat if it happens.

This December could be even warmer than Dec 2006 and Dec 2007 and those December's were around 5 above normal. MAYBE this isn't quite the warmest Dec in my lifetime but I don't remember many December's that were much warmer. Atlanta hasn't even had a hard freeze yet, unless you consider 29 a hard freeze.

Speaking specifically to the GSP area, no chance of getting as warm as 2007 (possibly even 2006). The point was that the last 2 years were the real odd balls. The +4.9 above for GSP is a tiny fluctuation from normal when compared to 2009 and 2010.

Archived