Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
how long have you been on the "boards"?

BullCityWx

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been actively reading/participating on the various boards

• I go back to the TWC Boards (Pre 2001)
    • I go back to the old WWBB (2001-early 2005)
    • I go back to Eastern(2005-2010)
    • This is my first board(11/2010-onward)

I bring no useful purpose to the board but i enjoy weather and wow we have some awesome posters on here!

^This, as I'm WAY too green. I just recently joined this year after hearing about this place on another BB. Have always enjoyed weather, but need a some schooling on WX analysis and models. This place was a great help during the severe threats this past spring/summer.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an Accuweather transplant... When I stated seeing links to this board in the discussions on Accuweather I started reading A LOT on Eastern and not posting. After about 6-12 months of lurking I finally created an account on Eastern and then came over here once it became American wx. Perhaps add an option for other boards as a voting option. I've only been around Eastern/American for about two years but I've been posting on Accuweather since early 2008.

Same here. Been at Accuweather since 2008, I think I had about 4,000 some posts. I've looked here for over a year or more before I joined this summer. The knowledge on this board is second to none.

I took a chance and went back to Eastern to find out when I joined. Dec. 2004. I didn't know the place still existed. You can log on and access your account, even post if you want to. I just spent the last 20 minutes reading old PM's and threads I posted in 7 years ago. It was pretty weird.

BTW, where did NCAPPS get to? I still have a bone to pick with that dude.

I did the same :wub: I was on WU first, then opened a weather forum with another person, specifically for the SE region, then I found Eastern. My prayers were answered when I found it as it was finally a place where I didn't have to do so much research, forecasting or explaining and updating, and I could enjoy discussing and learning about the things that only ones with Met degrees/hard core enthusiast could explain. I found a new home with the best people and have learned so much more than I possibly could have imagined. :wub:

I came with her :hug:

I started with Prodigy's own wx bb's back in 12/1992. Later I had Compuserve. Next, I joined the ne.weather usenet group as there was no active se usenet group of which I was aware. Also during the late 90's, I joined the Lowe's tropical BB. Next came WWBB during the infamous winter of 2001-2, when I was emphasizing the extreme cold bias of the GFS via verifications of actual real life test cases when nobody else was really even talking about it. Lookout probably would recall this. For tropical I transitioned over to Storm 2k, where I remain, during the early 2000's, For general wx, Eastern followed and then American. Sometime around the (mid?) 2000's I joined a local GA bb....I can't remember if it was already called PeachState wx by then. That bb no longer exists.

Lurking in all forms for a very long time, heck, we had a weather-related Notes area on the PLATO system in the 80's. Most places I simply lurked instead of posted; I don't think I even had an account on WWBB, and know I didn't on TWC.

I seldom post, since I don't have enough of a meteorology background to contribute much in that arena, nor want to join the snarker-flamer contingent that posts without stuff to contribute.

Joined here after getting frustrated about not being able to see the images being posted; otherwise, you'd never see me at all :)

Here mostly just to get a better look at what's going on with the wx, see what's coming up, and learn.

I waited almost a decade to say I had 6+" of snow, and for me personally since I could not enjoy the incredible snow of 2000, this was by far the best storm I experienced during my time with the SE Crew :wub:

http://www.easternus...the-deep-south/

http://www.easternus...-winter-wallop/

EDIT: This is the ONLY time I knew it would snow from almost a week out, it was just a matter of how much. Hopefully at some point it will happen again. :lol::wub:

Good Times!

Love looking back at old Disco.

Great posted image from Brandon (Hky-wx) during that storm!

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/224842-se-snowstorm-obs-february-12th/page__view__findpost__p__4646165

I waited almost a decade to say I had 6+" of snow, and for me personally since I could not enjoy the incredible snow of 2000, this was by far the best storm I experienced during my time with the SE Crew :wub:

http://www.easternus...the-deep-south/

http://www.easternus...-winter-wallop/

EDIT: This is the ONLY time I knew it would snow from almost a week out, it was just a matter of how much. Hopefully at some point it will happen again. :lol::wub:

I deleted my earlier post...and will just say "a very long time." I worked with mainframe computers in the '70s and '80s then left the field. During the '90s I became somewhat interested in the internet and finally hopped on board in '96.

While not at all a social fanatic (I have twitter but don't tweet; have facebook but don't post; and so on) I read this board a few times a week and post in occasional spurts. And while I recognize my outspokenness pleases some and irritates others, it comes more from frustration than anything else. I never like to see people's feelings get hurt but sometimes people (including myself) need to get their cages rattled.

Being of an older generation, I grew up without the habit of electronic gadgetry so I'm accustomed to spending my time on other things. That said, the internet is of course a wonderful invention and worth some of our time; but I suspect some use social media to the point of distraction from a well-balanced general life.

There are many excellent posters here but it's natural to get on others' nerves at times; a simple reflection of human reality.

Best to all,

Tim in ILM

popcorn.gif

I signed up on the Eastern board a short time before the migration to this board began. I had lurked for around a year before I registered at Eastern. I didn't post much and still don't. I learned quickly just to keep quiet and enjoy the work all y'all post for us! That said, I can't imagine a winter without this place...or a winter without staying up too late waiting on the next run! :thumbsup:

I can't recall when I joined Eastern, but I know it was during winter because the TV mets were calling for a big snow. I remember just wondering if there were folks who liked weather like me and actually discussed it on a online forum. I did a search and found Eastern. And I almost won Weenie of the Year my first year there!

Archived