northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV Snow Event? Part V

Chicago Storm

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Passing half an inch here after a seemingly very long wait for changeover. Very heavy snow now with maybe 1/2 mile visibility if that. I like where returns are setting up just along i-70 from here back through Indiana. We may not hit any lull at all if this keeps building.

An they say I-70 has nothing to do with Wx :whistle:

Strange system--For the last hour I have been sitting under a 30 dzb area that refuses to move, while 15 miles to the South there is nothing.......

If anybody is watching Fox Sports, they just shows the roof collapsing in Minnesota. Unbelievable! Really shows how heavy the snow was. Did notice the bands out in IL are starting to weaken slightly but still have a pretty good snow shower here in downtown Indy. INDOT reporting roads are difficult (surprise surprise).

Lots of good stuff in this thread -- thanks for the various webcam and video links, plus the pictures. Really impressive totals from W WI and MN.

Glad the guys to the south and east are starting to get theirs.

My best consensus storm total is 9.2" here, in south-central Sheboygan Co. WI. Snowfall really let up after about 12:30-1am. Since then, it's been

flurries to light snow, with little additional accumulation.

Current temp is 20.4 and the wind is probably 20-25, with the odd gust to 30-35. It sounded stronger early this morning, but only in the worst gusts.

Our plow guy just called and said he had to turn around as he almost got stuck on his way over here. Apparently the plows are only running on the

numbered state highways. Town and county roads looked untouched to him, and he struggled to go back the 5 miles to his house. So we're grateful

for TV and football today.

Hope the Vikings end up getting a real football stadium out of this -- OUTDOORS. Glad nobody got hurt. Wonder who draws the short straw to go

up on that Metrodome roof and attempt to shovel, LMAO.

I'm in the same boat as cyclone. The blizzard was a dud here because there just wasn't any snow(the wind really howled last night, though). I got a half inch of snow after switching from rain, then I'm estimating only another half inch from the broken, decaying deformation zone for a total of 1 inch. There is no way to measure, but I see a lot of grass and very little drifting. So far this month there have been two big snowstorms that have dumped a grand total of 2.2 inches on my yard.

Congrats to everyone who got a good storm.

I'm in the same boat as cyclone. The blizzard was a dud here because there just wasn't any snow. I got a half inch of snow after switching from rain, then I'm estimating only another half inch from the broken, decaying deformation zone for a total of 1 inch. There is no way to measure, but I see a lot of grass and very little drifting. So far this month there have been two big snowstorms that have dumped a grand total of 2.2 inches on my yard.

That's probably about the same amount I've gotten here in West MIchigan from these frustrating winter storms! The only saving grace for me has been the lake effect, which dumped 8 to 10 inches that quickly compacted down. Last winter all the storms went south of central Michigan...this year they are going north.

Hopefully we'll be able to squeeze out a few inches this afternoon from the dying deformation band...

I'm in the same boat as cyclone. The blizzard was a dud here because there just wasn't any snow. I got a half inch of snow after switching from rain, then I'm estimating only another half inch from the broken, decaying deformation zone for a total of 1 inch. There is no way to measure, but I see a lot of grass and very little drifting. So far this month there have been two big snowstorms that have dumped a grand total of 2.2 inches on my yard.

Congrats to everyone who got a good storm.

That sucks man. I can about guarantee that at some point later this season you'll be getting dumped on, while from here on east we're in a mix or rain.

Go to bed with snow/precip missing me almost every direction and wake up to see nothing has changed.. This abortion of a storm can get flushed down the inside the collapsed metro-dump that now looks like a toilet bowl.

I hope the rest of you are faring a lot better and I look forward to catching up with the thread tonight!

File.png

Go to bed with snow/precip missing me almost every direction and wake up to see nothing has changed.. This abortion of a storm can get flushed down the inside the collapsed metro-dump that now looks like a toilet bowl.

I hope the rest of you are faring a lot better and I look forward to catching up with the thread tonight!

File.png

Well, we should at least meet your prediction of 1-3":P

That's probably about the same amount I've gotten here in West MIchigan from these frustrating winter storms! The only saving grace for me has been the lake effect, which dumped 8 to 10 inches that quickly compacted down. Last winter all the storms went south of central Michigan...this year they are going north.

Hopefully we'll be able to squeeze out a few inches this afternoon from the dying deformation band...

Maybe a inch here? Dryslot killed us. Per euro Detroit/se MI/n.OH is gonna get it good the rest of the afternoon into tonight.

Had a short burst of decent snow, but back to flurries right now. These situations can be frustrating, as the returns moving north to south break up as they hit here and then regenerate just to the south. Must be some weird micro-climate effect...something we see usually with dying LES bands.

If anybody is watching Fox Sports, they just shows the roof collapsing in Minnesota. Unbelievable! Really shows how heavy the snow was. Did notice the bands out in IL are starting to weaken slightly but still have a pretty good snow shower here in downtown Indy. INDOT reporting roads are difficult (surprise surprise).

1 1/2 to 2" here so far... was about a 10 minute lull but seeing the heaviest snow yet right now. ILN doesn't even have us getting the best snows until later this evening.

ILN still calling for just 2-4 inches total for us. I'm looking at about 2 inches right now so there is definitely the potential to bust high. Radar returns are scattered so it will be dependent on being in the right spot.

Archived