joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get it, plenty of oaks have tons of leaves here, yet they are holding up.

I really think Dec 08 saved my azz

Look at the National Grid map... areas affected the most by the ice storm are doing well (on the Mass side at least)

Dry snow--blew off the trees.

Ironically, no sooner did I type the above that my power went out for 5 mintues. lol

Was just talking to my dad in KMHT he says power is out all around him and there were tons of branches and trees down. One fell as I was talking with him. Said there was about 10 to 12 inches and its really wet snow. I've had close to sixteen as its been ripping again the last hour or so. The first 4 or 5 were wet here but has since turned much more dry. You can still make snowballs but it has a dry consistency to it.

Only an inch here in Blackstone, winds picking up in the last hour..

Still have power but it's been flickering since about 7pm

Ha well yes there is. I can think of some other awesome weather events. Downslope mountain windstorms, Colorado Lows, Panhandle Hookers, Alberta Clippers w/ blowing snow, Arctic fronts, plains blizzards in general, Gulf Lows (Halloween Blizzard 1991), big mountain storms, high plains supercells (LPs), mountain waves, etc etc etc.

But yes, Nor'easters are one of my favorites because they can often times play off both the GOM semi-permanent baroclinic zone, Gulf stream semi-permanent baroclinic zone (the only US storm type to play off both except maybe Apps Runners), moist convection, and moist latent heat release. Throw in the curvature of the East Coast, the non-linear track development of Nor'easters, the population along the track of Nor'easters, and the forecast challenge, and you have one of the coolest storm types in the US.

well, when you put it that way! :lol:

Ok, just had to come back in. Did one circuit , waist deep Powdah!! Heading back out to ski. I'm melting onto the keyboard. Now at 27" and it continues to dump. Poor Jetta. Poor Tundra.

This has to be close to your all time record snow event isn't it? 27 inches is insane. And there goes my power

am I dreaming? 27"???? brings back good memories. Oh wait I've never seen 27" in my life.

I've had around 19" so far, although it's been difficult to keep track because of parents' weekend. The heavier echoes look to be collapsing SE gradually, so I would imagine we end up right around 2' here on the campus of Hampshire Country School.

Still ripping at 3 an hour?

Probably not but I'll check in 20 mins. I'll probably score between 1-2" this past hour. You are absolutely getting pummeled again and may get over 20". This banding over our region was similar to 1/12, but setup just a little bit further south. You're essentially in the position I was for that storm.

The HRRR has a little over 0.50" more here after 4z (12am) through 9z. Those 0.10"/hr w.e. rates would be easily 1-2"/hr through 3-4am. Maybe it's off its rocker, but we'll see. I never thought I'd see over a foot in October.

I've had around 19" so far, although it's been difficult to keep track because of parents' weekend. The heavier echoes look to be collapsing SE gradually, so I would imagine we end up right around 2' here on the campus of Hampshire Country School.

Amazing that this likely will be the biggest storm of the winter for many.

Power has been been out for 2-3 hours now. (wireless usb ftw)

Major tree damage here.

Have not measured in a while but well over a foot.

Surreal scene outside with constant limbs cracking. Not sure I'll sleep much tonight.

SN+ right now. With wind starting to gust.

This would be a great storm in January.

Incredible!

:snowman:

could break your PR if lucky no?

I just measured approximately 20.5" using my car, adding about an inch to account for compaction/early melting. I haven't been able to make "official" 6-hour measurements since I've been on duty for parents' weekend, but I think that's an excellent estimate. We could challenge the 26" we received in Dobbs Ferry during the 2/25/10 Snowicane (toaster bath for New England), as it's just started pouring snow again at a ridiculous pace after slightly poorer snow growth earlier in the evening. These fat puffy dendrites are accumulating so rapidly, a different snow from the one in the Snowicane but reminiscent of the amounts with cars completely buried.

Amazing that this likely will be the biggest storm of the winter for many.

It's a good sign for winter that we're seeing some Davis Strait blocking and a +PNA. This is obviously a high end storm, but I think we'll see a few more Nor'easters this season with the NAO stuck mostly in negative.

I just measured approximately 20.5" using my car, adding about an inch to account for compaction/early melting. I haven't been able to make "official" 6-hour measurements since I've been on duty for parents' weekend, but I think that's an excellent estimate. We could challenge the 26" we received in Dobbs Ferry during the 2/25/10 Snowicane (toaster bath for New England), as it's just started pouring snow again at a ridiculous pace after slightly poorer snow growth earlier in the evening. These fat puffy dendrites are accumulating so rapidly, a different snow from the one in the Snowicane but reminiscent of the amounts with cars completely buried.

It's a good sign for winter that we're seeing some Davis Strait blocking and a +PNA. This is obviously a high end storm, but I think we'll see a few more Nor'easters this season with the NAO stuck mostly in negative.

Sick. BTW, welcome to New England!

I think I'm really a bust on my winter forecast.

What!?! I should apply that method here. I'd have 40".lol

Archived