Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 29/30 Snowstorm Disco - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad. I think Ryan's "above 84 comment is right on. In Mass--does this look like Pike/128 deal or a Pike/495 deal for great snows?

Inside 128 and maybe even outside for a bit the problem with a more tucked in solution is that winds may be a bit too much out of the east. The BL warmth is definitely an issue on that track.

LOL, it has a Boxing Day look at 700mb.

It is similar to the NAM, but warmer, so I think we may be able to shave some warmth off with the GFS. However, I'm still watching out for a 2 part QPF max and screw zone somewhere.

It definitely has the sfc low and 700/850 lows a bit west. Enough to cause some issues. But I think a NAM/GFS blend is reasonable... though watch Dr. No... if it's west like the GFS I'll get a bit nervous.

Well I'm hoping the GFS is wrong.

It's a good deal warmer in the mid levels, probably because it keeps a more east component to the wind than the NAM. It's the difference between the 850 low tucking up to the tip of LI on the GFS vs going over ACK on the NAM. It could obviously go either way at this point. see NAM vs GFS at 42 below.

GFS

post-1511-0-59333300-1319817611.png

NAM

post-1511-0-08960000-1319817625.png

Looks to be a very tough call for Metrowest here. Guess it comes down to whether you believe the GFS or NAM. Of course theere is still the potential for a slight shift to the W., although I do not epect any major shifts at this point. May very well be a very sharp E-W gradient in E Mass ala Dec '92.

It definitely has the sfc low and 700/850 lows a bit west. Enough to cause some issues. But I think a NAM/GFS blend is reasonable... though watch Dr. No... if it's west like the GFS I'll get a bit nervous.

I think the GFS is too warm imo. Side more with NAM thermal profile I think...but not totally.

It's a good deal warmer in the mid levels, probably because it keeps a more east component to the wind than the NAM. It's the difference between the 850 low tucking up to the tip of LI on the GFS vs going over ACK on the NAM. It could obviously go either way at this point. see NAM vs GFS at 42 below.

GFS

post-1511-0-59333300-1319817611.png

NAM

post-1511-0-08960000-1319817625.png

If the GFS nudging west continues for another run or two this will end up being a historic storm but in areas that have seen significant early season snows at times. The GFS is scaring me, be interesting to see if the Euro rolls west.

The RGEM went WAY west compared to the 0z and is roasty too.

Archived