Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 29/30 Snowstorm Disco - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once this thing flips to accumulating snow in non marine air tainted areas (inland), I'd treat it like a winter storm in terms of accumulations. I don't even know that the snow will be all that wet with this kind of intensity and cold air supply. Also a sun angle equal to February 12th.

Looking at the NAM bufkit here at BDL if we do start at rain it shouldn't last long at all so 99% of this will be snow here.

STORM UPDATE...WE WILL WAIT TO EVALUATE THE ENTIRE 12Z MODEL GUIDANCE SUITE BEFOREMAKING ANY CHANGES. HOWEVER...BASED ON PRELIMINARY EVALUATIONSTHERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS INTERIORSOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND WILL NEED TO BE INCREASED WITH THE AFTERNOONPACKAGE. WIND AND COASTAL FLOOD HEADLINES MAY BE ISSUED IN THEAFTERNOON PACKAGE. MUCH MORE COMING THIS AFTERNOON AFTER ALL THEDATA IS EVALUATED.

Yea was just looking at our DPs here at work in SECT, currently 28, impressive as it gets for a full sun Oct day, temp is 42 at noon, just wow.

Yep even at BDL the normal 11AM temp/dew is 51/38. A 42 temp at 11 AM is in the 10th percentile with the dew point not far behind, so pretty unusual.

Once this thing flips to accumulating snow in non marine air tainted areas (inland), I'd treat it like a winter storm in terms of accumulations. I don't even know that the snow will be all that wet with this kind of intensity and cold air supply. Also a sun angle equal to February 12th.

Probably as you get closer to the coast and the warmer air the snow will tend to be a bit more wet in nature would be my guess.

Probably will also depend on how deep the warmer layer is.

12z NAM came in fairly cold here, we actually dip below freezing at BDL so ratios increased to about 12:1 or so...maybe 13:1.

Yesterday is an example here. The first 2 inches were traditional soppy wet snow, but we fell to 31 and the dendrites were sweet for the next 2 inches. I'm sure ratios were 12-1 or better in that..... So you don't need way below freezing to get some healthy ratios.

Probably as you get closer to the coast and the warmer air the snow will tend to be a bit more wet in nature would be my guess.

Probably will also depend on how deep the warmer layer is.

12z NAM came in fairly cold here, we actually dip below freezing at BDL so ratios increased to about 12:1 or so...maybe 13:1.

Yesterday is an example here. The first 2 inches were traditional soppy wet snow, but we fell to 31 and the dendrites were sweet for the next 2 inches. I'm sure ratios were 12-1 or better in that..... So you don't need way below freezing to get some healthy ratios.

Oh nice!

Imagine something like 15:1 ratios with this QPF...that would be epic

My parents sent pics of 2" even at 250ft in the Hudson valley...that looked like pure slop though.

Archived