northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2011 Winter Banter Thread

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe we all fell for the pattern change being advertised last week by the models. We are Charlie Brown. Amazing how quickly it's backed off that idea now. The warm temps predicted for the end of the month just look horrendous. #winter2012FAIL

The odds of a proglonged favorable pattern were stacked against us early on though. It's easy for us weenies to hang onto blind hope and latch onto models as we go but in reality, were kinda doomed by thanksgiving. Doomed in the sense that the vast majority of winters that started off with similar patterns were warm all the way through Jan.

Feb has better odds of cooler temps though so it's going to be do or die time here shortly. I'll going to make a post in another thread with maps and stats. Maybe relieve some despair with cautious optimism for Feb.

The odds of a proglonged favorable pattern were stacked against us early on though. It's easy for us weenies to hang onto blind hope and latch onto models as we go but in reality, were kinda doomed by thanksgiving. Doomed in the sense that the vast majority of winters that started off with similar patterns were warm all the way through Jan.

Feb has better odds of cooler temps though so it's going to be do or die time here shortly. I'll going to make a post in another thread with maps and stats. Maybe relieve some despair with cautious optimism for Feb.

Lead us out of the desert that is Torch City, Bob. Second week of Feb into March-----redemption will be ours.

i think wes said 1-2". ;)

im not here to bash hm and of course not west but i know how this place works... yeah a good clipper can produce 1-2, 1-3, but we generally don't know that 5 days out. i think this winter is getting to people and making them go out on limbs they dont normally go out on.

Evidently no one read my post, I said 1 or 2 inches if everything went right and the more likely forecast was for a dusting, At the end of the post I said it could be 1 to 2 or nothing. I don't think I overplayed it at all. I think some react to any mention of snow and refuse to look at the qulaifiers being used. Then they say you blew it and people start actually thinking they are right. Heck go back an read my article.

I keep thinking this is like a bad dream. We'll all wake up and say, whew, glad that was just a dream. It's only November 15 and winter is still in front of us.

Well november 15th type weather has been upon us for 2 months now with the exception of today and a few others!

Evidently no one read my post, I said 1 or 2 inches if everything went right and the more likely forecast was for a dusting, At the end of the post I said it could be 1 to 2 or nothing. I don't think I overplayed it at all. I think some react to any mention of snow and refuse to look at the qulaifiers being used. Then they say you blew it and people start actually thinking they are right. Heck go back an read my article.

i'll admit i did not read your last cwg post as the cf snow potential never seemed exciting and im a "need to be 24-48 hrs out to believe in a clipper" type of person. ji was calling you out here.. i was just responding to him. i was not calling hm out either as i can read qualifiers.. i was mainly pointing out that if it had snowed people would have been like "wow hm called it a week out".

next Saturday has very vulnerable records (70 max, 44 hi-min)...not sure if the air mass will be that warm of if the core will be here by then....would have to think the 76/51 on Sunday is safe regardless

The airmass as modeled is something I've never seen before. Obviously it may be more muted as we get closer, but my God.

I remember that day. We were in the 80s in the Shen Valley.

yes...RIC set their all-time January record of 81.....the core of the anomalies were in the CHO-RIC corridor so that is where I headed....I don't think anyone in the immediate DC metro hit 80, but I think there were a number of 78-79 readings....As much as I hate heat in winter, if I have a chance to see 80 in January I am going to take advantage....

I think people from outside of the area don't realize the frequence that we hit 70+ in January, like it's somehow supposed to be a huge deal. It happened 5 out of the past 10 winters.

Yeah but it drops quick once into mid-70s+. Feb in Nina is almost a gaurantee to get 70.

Archived