• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
2011 Winter Banter Thread

yoda

The 00z ECMWF is ugly. PV retreats to Greenland next weekend in conjunction with the GOA PV. There are two close-calls but they are generally non-performers this run, especially on Mon-Tues (too warm). PNA ridge tries to go up again late in the run / during the torch week and it basically resembles the pattern in December.

Do you see any signs for a turn around in february for this region into the Northern Mid Atlantic?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only cool thing about this run is that the GOA / Greenland PVs are so extreme that ridging develops in between producing a 1040mb over the Hudson Bay. A southern stream s/w kicks out into the Plains. Perhaps beyond day 10, this could be something if the cold front way up there in southern Canada can drop in...but that is pushing it. Unfortunately, there is no cold air.

Do you see any signs for a turn around in february for this region into the Northern Mid Atlantic?

The only chance we have is the continual decline in total solar irradiance / remote wave breakers on the stratosphere combined with the next MJO forcing (and -AAM tendency propagation from 30-40N to 50N would be possible then but not likely) could bring about another shot at a -AO period mid-late February. Until then, it is about getting very lucky.

I would watch the very last few days of January into early February for a possible trough. Cold air will obviously be an issue but some data was developing some ridging over the west-NAO regions. Sometimes the anomalies in the Gulf of Alaska / N. Atlantic can get so extreme and the atmosphere can get so "summer-like" that waves shorten. This can produce a "fake" -NAO signal. As the heights rise / jet stream retreats this can leave a trough somewhere across the eastern two thirds during this period. While cold air will be absent, you are talking about a climo-period and a very cold time of year. It wouldn't take much CAA to get sufficient air for some type of wintry scenario. This sort of thing happened in early Feb 1950.

Embrace the shorts! There is nothing on the horizon so I am just going to root for warmer weather. If we break 60 next weekend the cover is coming off the the grill.

I agree with embracing warm weather at all times. But the cover is always ready to come off the grill, no matter the temperature!

I agree with embracing warm weather at all times. But the cover is always ready to come off the grill, no matter the temperature!

I'm so sick of your warm weather bs! For some reason you feel the need to chime in and be the cheerleader every time somebody mentions warm weather and it's getting to be ridiculous!

I'm so sick of your warm weather bs! For some reason you feel the need to chime in and be the cheerleader every time somebody mentions warm weather and it's getting to be ridiculous!

LOL there is an ignore function on here. his posts are fine, so he prefers warm wx when there is no snow chances. big deal.

LOL there is an ignore function on here. his posts are fine, so he prefers warm wx when there is no snow chances. big deal.

Im just a little annoyed by another post he made in a different thread when he responded to a post I had made, and then stated that he thinks those who prefer cold weather are just being "contrarian".

Im just a little annoyed by another post he made in a different thread when he responded to a post I had made, and then stated that he thinks those who prefer cold weather are just being "contrarian".

embrace the torch dude, makes the pain of not getting snow more bearable

Well, my brother always says "grilling knows no season!" I've visited him up in northeast Ohio at the end of December before when it's plenty cold and snowy. And yes, he'd open up the garage and start up the grill! Granted, it's more fun in the summer to sit out on the deck and fire up the grill, but still not bad!

You guys yappin about embracing the torch ain't foolin nobody. You're not here to read about warmth and you know it too.

Hey i'm the biggest winter weenie there is. I love snow and cold. However, we all know a pretty big torch is coming and there is nothing we can do to stop it or change it except enjoy it and hope we get some good winter weather to follow it. I'm not going to sit in my house while it's 60 or 70 degrees outside and post on a computer about how much i hate warmth and love snow. It's out of my hands so enjoy what ever comes your way!

Archived