mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
2011 Winter Banter Thread

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey i'm the biggest winter weenie there is. I love snow and cold.

Wrong, I am :D

However, we all know a pretty big torch is coming and there is nothing we can do to stop it or change it except enjoy it and hope we get some good winter weather to follow it. I'm not going to sit in my house while it's 60 or 70 degrees outside and post on a computer about how much i hate warmth and love snow. It's out of my hands so enjoy what ever comes your way!

If we get a torch, I'll probably just laugh at it and enjoy it, but in January I still prefer days like tomorrow which are sunny and 30.

I'm heading up to Wisp at dawn Sunday morning. How much natural snow is on the ground in and around the dcl area? Thanks in advance.

I was out there today. Conditions were excellent with fresh powder. Snow depths ranged from 5-6in in the valleys; the ridgetops were around 10in or so. Quite a bit of drifting. Accumulations dramatically picked up just south past Accident. Flurries all day today with probably another 1in.

I was out there today. Conditions were excellent with fresh powder. Snow depths ranged from 5-6in in the valleys; the ridgetops were around 10in or so. Quite a bit of drifting. Accumulations dramatically picked up just south past Accident. Flurries all day today with probably another 1in.

Thanks Blizzard.

The Alaskan vortex is the last obstacle we need to get through, MJO goes into COD one last time before making a push. I wager 150K

You need to start a thread and detail what you think will happen, why it will happen, and what the benchmarks are for the success of the prediction. A cold snap and a couple of ok storms in February isn't really that special or unexpected.

Down from your earlier 500k wishful thinking bet with Z. February 1/3 rocking?

The global upward motion state has progressed slower than I thought it would after January 5th but still doing as I expected.

I posted back in late December that the threat of a pattern change was 'just a tease', that the models were wrong about the cold and January would torch until 25th, and as MJO would head back into the COD for 10-15 days before making a push.

Progression has been slower but has followed this baseline to tee. So it will just happen later and to compensate to balance kinetic energy after external forcing is superimposed it may even turn out better for the MA and run well into March.

If anything I'm afraid I'm being too conservative.

The global upward motion state has progressed slower than I thought it would after January 5th but still doing as I expected.

I posted back in late December that the threat of a pattern change was 'just a tease', that the models were wrong about the cold and January would torch until 25th, and as MJO would head back into the COD for 10-15 days before making a push.

Progression has been slower but has followed this baseline to tee. So it will just happen later and to compensate to balance kinetic energy after external forcing is superimposed it may even turn out better for the MA and run well into March.

If anything I'm afraid I'm being too conservative.

Cool story, bro

I'm so sick of your warm weather bs! For some reason you feel the need to chime in and be the cheerleader every time somebody mentions warm weather and it's getting to be ridiculous!

Wow.

I never, in a million years, expected to be disliked on a weather board. Especially since I'm not saying anything different than a bunch of other people are.

C'est la vie.

Wow.

I never, in a million years, expected to be disliked on a weather board. Especially since I'm not saying anything different than a bunch of other people are.

C'est la vie.

Try not to take it personally - snow weenies tend to get really butthurt when they don't get snow. Just look at CT Blizz and some of the other SNEers as a prime example.

Try not to take it personally - snow weenies tend to get really butthurt when they don't get snow. Just look at CT Blizz and some of the other SNEers as a prime example.

I understand that a lot of snow lovers are having a rough go of it, so it's OK.

And even though I'm as much a snow lover as many others, I have a different view of "nice weather" in the winter than others (i.e. I like wearing a light jacket...or no jacket at all) and don't mind if there's no snow provided I can enjoy "nice weather."

I am feeling a little Schadenfreude in seeing the SNE pain, though. ;)

Wow.

C'est la vie.

When you discount the opinion of an individual with an opposing point of view by saying they just want to be "contrarian", then you should expect a bit of a backlash. I do not dislike you, I just dont appreciate your comment. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. I don't feel the need to be different. Obviously you have a problem understanding that their are alot of people who want it to be cold during winter regardless whether it snows or not and I am one of them. Have a good day!

When you discount the opinion of an individual with an opposing point of view by saying they just want to be "contrarian", then you should expect a bit of a backlash. I do not dislike you, I just dont appreciate your comment. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. I don't feel the need to be different. Obviously you have a problem understanding that their are alot of people who want it to be cold during winter regardless whether it snows or not and I am one of them. Have a good day!

I think you'll find that I said I think "most" people saying that cold weather is better than mild weather are being contrarian. You may not feel that way, and that's fine. It's just my take on it. Apologies if it seemed I was calling anyone out.

Water under the bridge...because it's all about rain, and not snow, this winter!

lol snow weenies

A lot folks like winter even without snow. Some of my fondest winter memories are from the cold snowless winters of the 70's when I was able to play pond hockey. As much as I love snow I remember hoping that we wouldn't get any so the ice would stay skateable.

Even now, I'd much prefer winter hiking and camping in sub freezing temps rather than the muck that comes with the 40's.

It's winter. If it won't snow it should at least be cold. But I'll take what comes and enjoy it.

No snow is a bummer but not really a big deal to me. I think the broing weather overall is more annoying. We're stuck in a boring above normal temp pattern with nothing really that interesting. No snow, ice, wind, sleet, or record temp events. I think next week's heat might be the most interesting weather of the season so far. I'm looking forward to it.

If we can't get any snow then I want warmer temps just so that we can get rid of the winter only posters. aka Randy. :P

you (not you specifically) either want a cold pattern that supports snow or you don't....this idea of wanting warmth unless it snows basically means you care more about warm than snow...which is fine....but the "I want it warm except when it snows" attitude is for the ignorant general public....cold patterns increase snow chances exponentially...so true snow lovers want cold....This guy on CWG said his favorite winters are those that are predominantly warm but feature several periods when you get a couple big snow storms....And Camden agreed resoundingly.....when I asked them to name such a winter....crickets

I don't consider us snow lovers to be delusional at all....I think we are well aware of what we are dealing with in DC in general and especially this winter....If we are going to be constantly "teased" for being snow weenies, then I think it is time to remind the warministas that it doesnt snow when it is warm out and this idea that it may as well be warm if it isnt going to snow, means you don't really care about snow..which is fine...not everyone likes snow and cold....most don't

you (not you specifically) either want a cold pattern that supports snow or you don't....this idea of wanting warmth unless it snows basically means you care more about warm than snow...which is fine....but the "I want it warm except when it snows" attitude is for the ignorant general public....cold patterns increase snow chances exponentially...so true snow lovers want cold....This guy on CWG said his favorite winters are those that are predominantly warm but feature several periods when you get a couple big snow storms....And Camden agreed resoundingly.....when I asked them to name such a winter....crickets

I don't consider us snow lovers to be delusional at all....I think we are well aware of what we are dealing with in DC in general and especially this winter....If we are going to be constantly "teased" for being snow weenies, then I think it is time to remind the warministas that it doesnt snow when it is warm out and this idea that it may as well be warm if it isnt going to snow, means you don't really care about snow..which is fine...not everyone likes snow and cold....most don't

i love snow - i just love warm more :)

Archived