amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2011 Winter Banter Thread

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you (not you specifically) either want a cold pattern that supports snow or you don't....this idea of wanting warmth unless it snows basically means you care more about warm than snow...which is fine....but the "I want it warm except when it snows" attitude is for the ignorant general public....cold patterns increase snow chances exponentially...so true snow lovers want cold....This guy on CWG said his favorite winters are those that are predominantly warm but feature several periods when you get a couple big snow storms....And Camden agreed resoundingly.....when I asked them to name such a winter....crickets

I don't consider us snow lovers to be delusional at all....I think we are well aware of what we are dealing with in DC in general and especially this winter....If we are going to be constantly "teased" for being snow weenies, then I think it is time to remind the warministas that it doesnt snow when it is warm out and this idea that it may as well be warm if it isnt going to snow, means you don't really care about snow..which is fine...not everyone likes snow and cold....most don't

Excellent post......it needed to be said.

Kill the torch.

post-1326-0-89855000-1326757145.jpg

:thumbsup:

Excellent post......it needed to be said.

being upset that winter sucks isnt going to make it better. i wish it had snowed more... i hope it does in the next few weeks. who said snow lovers were delusional? i have seen just as many strange posts from the most ardent cold/snow lovers as people who don't mind the "torch" even if they'd rather it be snowier. snow makes cold worth it.. it's a necessary evil. you won't see me complaining that much about cold if it's snowy. being depressed because it has not been cold enough is weird.. we (the majority of us in this forum) don't live in an area where people skate on ponds and stuff. if you think it's too hot when it's 60 might need to see a doctor.

being upset that winter sucks isnt going to make it better. i wish it had snowed more... i hope it does in the next few weeks. who said snow lovers were delusional? i have seen just as many strange posts from the most ardent cold/snow lovers as people who don't mind the "torch" even if they'd rather it be snowier. snow makes cold worth it.. it's a necessary evil. you won't see me complaining that much about cold if it's snowy. being depressed because it has not been cold enough is weird.. we (the majority of us in this forum) don't live in an area where people skate on ponds and stuff. if you think it's too hot when it's 60 might need to see a doctor.

I don't get it either, Ian. It's the weather, we can't control it and I don't get why some let it ruin our days. If it snows, great! If not, oh well.

you (not you specifically) either want a cold pattern that supports snow or you don't....this idea of wanting warmth unless it snows basically means you care more about warm than snow...which is fine....but the "I want it warm except when it snows" attitude is for the ignorant general public....cold patterns increase snow chances exponentially...so true snow lovers want cold....This guy on CWG said his favorite winters are those that are predominantly warm but feature several periods when you get a couple big snow storms....And Camden agreed resoundingly.....when I asked them to name such a winter....crickets

I don't consider us snow lovers to be delusional at all....I think we are well aware of what we are dealing with in DC in general and especially this winter....If we are going to be constantly "teased" for being snow weenies, then I think it is time to remind the warministas that it doesnt snow when it is warm out and this idea that it may as well be warm if it isnt going to snow, means you don't really care about snow..which is fine...not everyone likes snow and cold....most don't

Outstanding post. If every winter in this area was like '82-'83, I'd move. And with the amount of warmth we are guaranteed 9 months of the year, if it isn't enough for some folks to put up with chilly weather in the winter, they should consider the same.

in colder winters, ponds froze over....but cold and snow go hand in hand...If we have an upcoming period of +10 departures it isn't going to snow....why would we like that?.....60 degrees in January usually means we are in a warm pattern....I don't have some artificial construct like warministas do....Maybe if I lived in Boulder I would enjoy 60 degree days more....but I don't....I live in DC....

I don't get it either, Ian. It's the weather, we can't control it and I don't get why some let it ruin our days. If it snows, great! If not, oh well.

it annoys me when people claim im just trolling talking about warmth. boring weather sucks and in some ways this winter sucks but it's still been relatively active and in some ways the 2 month anomaly is intriguing. i mean we're running about 7th warmest winter so far. that's not unexceptional weather and is interesting in itself even in its "terribleness" for winter lovers. if i could choose i'd choose snow and suck it up with the cold. 1/30 to 2/10 was easily one of the best weather periods of my life. i was completely exhausted afterwards but still bummed we did not get more the rest of the winter.

Outstanding post. If every winter in this area was like '82-'83, I'd move. And with the amount of warmth we are guaranteed 9 months of the year, if it isn't enough for some folks to put up with chilly weather in the winter, they should consider the same.

Only in DC is putting a jacket and scarf on to be outside for 30 minutes a day and in heat 23 hours a day a huge burden that needs to be complained about....where else in the country would so many people b-itch about a 40 degree sunny day in the heart of winter?

Who isn't putting up with the chilly weather? It's winter, it's supposed to be cold. But I'd root for warm over cold any day. I see no reason for me, someone who is rooting for next weeks torch, to move because we get winter temps.

it annoys me when people claim im just trolling talking about warmth. boring weather sucks and in some ways this winter sucks but it's still been relatively active and in some ways the 2 month anomaly is intriguing. i mean we're running about 7th warmest winter so far. that's not unexceptional weather and is interesting in itself even in its "terribleness" for winter lovers. if i could choose i'd choose snow and suck it up with the cold. 1/30 to 2/10 was easily one of the best weather periods of my life. i was completely exhausted afterwards but still bummed we did not get more the rest of the winter.

I dont think you are trolling...I think you like warmth...you have made that clear...most people are like you....

in colder winters, ponds froze over....but cold and snow go hand in hand...If we have an upcoming period of +10 departures it isn't going to snow....why would we like that?.....60 degrees in January usually means we are in a warm pattern....I don't have some artificial construct like warministas do....Maybe if I lived in Boulder I would enjoy 60 degree days more....but I don't....I live in DC....

but those are notable winters and not the norm at all of recent, nor likely to be in the near future it would seem despite our proximity even to a 1994. our average at its lowest is not that cold -- which might be enough to prove that people who whine endlessly about cold here are annoying.

I'm with ya there. I loved every moment of it, and as I told Matt, I love snow but love warm more. But I know if I want snow, it needs to be cold. But it's not ruining my life because of the lack of snow, it is what it is.

I'm with ya there. I loved every moment of it, and as I told Matt, I love snow but love warm more. But I know if I want snow, it needs to be cold. But it's not ruining my life because of the lack of snow, it is what it is.

I wish in DC we had warm winters where it still snowed a lot....we don't....I'm not looking forward to the upcoming torch because it wont snow and that is prime snow time we are wasting....putting a jacket on isnt a big deal to me...it will be warm for 9 months

I dont think you are trolling...I think you like warmth...you have made that clear...most people are like you....

1-3" (if lucky) winters were common for me except on vacation till I moved to CT. in that sense where we are at this point doesn't bother me that much. days like the last 3 are not my favorite ever but not that hard to deal with either.

1-3" (if lucky) winters were common for me except on vacation till I moved to CT. in that sense where we are at this point doesn't bother me that much. days like the last 3 are not my favorite ever but not that hard to deal with either.

in the context of this winter, I want it to be as cold as possible for the next 7-8 weeks...after that we can torch and I wont like it but I wont care either as long as it isnt hot....I don't live in a fantasy world where we have +15 departures and then we get a couple 3-6" storms and then it is warm again....I want it cold even of if it means a low to the west running into a rotting air mass

Who isn't putting up with the chilly weather? It's winter, it's supposed to be cold. But I'd root for warm over cold any day. I see no reason for me, someone who is rooting for next weeks torch, to move because we get winter temps.

I wasn't thinking of you when I made my reply to Zwyts. You earned your lifetime membership into the snow-weenie club with that wedding. :weight_lift:

But I do get the mentality Matt calls out, having lived in the DC area for a long time. Hell, 80% of this forum was begging for the snows to end in February 2010. And we're the weather lovers.

Why? I've seen many people here complain about sunny and 35, in spite of last month's wall-to-wall torch, even though it's much closer to normal in January or Feb, than temps in the 60s. Obviously my biggest grievance is the lack of snow, but I think it is just silly to complain about temps in the 30s and expect 60s when the average high is near 40. We have the rest of the year for such warmth.

I wish in DC we had warm winters where it still snowed a lot....we don't....I'm not looking forward to the upcoming torch because it wont snow and that is prime snow time we are wasting....putting a jacket on isnt a big deal to me...it will be warm for 9 months

i think that's a valid argument for sure.. on the flip side we don't get truly horrible (sub 10") winters that often (1 in 5?) historically if maybe more frequently recently. as much as not racking up 20"+ on the season doesnt bother me i would miss a year that had even no storms like the 9th even with its measly output. people here certainly know the value of the smaller events... and those can come after warmth. i guess if that's all we have all winter it will be among our largest fails ever but that still seems like quite a long shot.

Looks cold after next week, so there's that :P

I wasn't thinking of you when I made my reply to Zwyts. You earned your lifetime membership into the snow-weenie club with that wedding. :weight_lift:

But I do get the mentality Matt calls out, having lived in the DC area for a long time. Hell, 80% of this forum was begging for the snows to end in February 2010. And we're the weather lovers.

Okay, cool. I understand the mentality too, like you said, my wedding was a snowstorm :)

i think that's a valid argument for sure.. on the flip side we don't get truly horrible (sub 10") winters that often (1 in 5?) historically if maybe more frequently recently. as much as not racking up 20"+ on the season doesnt bother me i would miss a year that had even no storms like the 9th even with its measly output. people here certainly know the value of the smaller events... and those can come after warmth. i guess if that's all we have all winter it will be among our largest fails ever but that still seems like quite a long shot.

7 of the last 14 winters at DCA ?

Why? I've seen many people here complain about sunny and 35, in spite of last month's wall-to-wall torch, even though it's much closer to normal in January or Feb, than temps in the 60s. Obviously my biggest grievance is the lack of snow, but I think it is just silly to complain about temps in the 30s and expect 60s when the average high is near 40. We have the rest of the year for such warmth.

Not if you like the outdoors. playing golf in the 30s with a wind is not that much fun. I'd much prefer playing in summer at 90 but I also like snow. When the pattern sucks for snow, then I wish for warmth. If the pattern looked better for snow, I'd want the cold. Everyone is different and everyone vews the world differently. Why should that upset anyone and why should anyone really care.

Archived