• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Second Winter Storm Threat - Oct 29/30

Baroclinic Zone

Yeah can someone explain to me how the NAM is so far SE and yet the SREF's (aren't they related to the NAM?) are a nice hit for alot of New england.

Their may have been some feedback..just basing on looking at the behavior of the sea level pressure..but not totally sure. The NAM will do strange things sometimes. It has been improved to avoid these problems, but when you put a system like this near the Gulf Stream..things like convective feedback can potentially happen. It's possible it isn't feedback too. The NAM placement like Dendrite said..isn't terribly different at hr 45.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh okay. Sorry just trying to learn...so they aren't really related at all?

The NAM runs off of the WRF, which is a particular NWP system. The SREFs are a collection of different mesoscale models with different perturbations. They include 2 sets of WRFs (NMM and ARW), the old ETA, and the RSM (regional spectral).

The GFS could easily go west, so I wouldn't sweat the NAM if I were up in NNE and western NE. It's possible we have reached that point where models back off a trend (or at least slow down the trend) and wobble around.

It could, but we've seen some decent volatility. Tonight..the Euro shall be the king.

An enormous ht for eastern areas but arguably outside the model's useful range.

True but isn't this more in line with the Euro now?

Their may have been some feedback..just basing on looking at the behavior of the sea level pressure..but not totally sure. The NAM will do strange things sometimes. It has been improved to avoid these problems, but when you put a system like this near the Gulf Stream..things like convective feedback can potentially happen. It's possible it isn't feedback too. The NAM placement like Dendrite said..isn't terribly different at hr 45.

I'm not sure it's feedback. Starts very early. Just more progressive. Not sure it's right, but isn't it more in line with the OP GFS and Euro?

It could, but we've seen some decent volatility. Tonight..the Euro shall be the king.

True but isn't this more in line with the Euro now?

I'm not sure it's feedback. Starts very early. Just more progressive. Not sure it's right, but isn't it more in line with the OP GFS and Euro?

It was doing some interesting things with dual low centers at hr 42. Of course it is entirely possible that it's true, but seemed a little weird.

The SREF probs for 1, 4, and 8 are pretty high even up here to my west this early. Interesting.

Odds of ORH breaking their Oct snowstorm record of 7.5"? I put it at 60/40 in favor of I think. The only question mark is if this somehow craps out on precip...but otherwise its balls to wall.

Odds of ORH breaking their Oct snowstorm record of 7.5"? I put it at 60/40 in favor of I think. The only question mark is if this somehow craps out on precip...but otherwise its balls to wall.

I'd say that's about right at this point. Maybe a 70% prob of tying.

Is there a brief way to explain how those are read?

Column on the left shows qpf.....last 2-3 numbers for 6 hour period. Middle column shows lift and wind both vector and velocity. Column on the right are temps..first 2 the bl, next ones H8, last H 7 roughly. So if you see 009795 all are aob freezing. 019795 means bl of +1.

Column on the left shows qpf.....last 2-3 numbers for 6 hour period. Middle column shows lift and wind both vector and velocity. Column on the right are temps..first 2 the bl, next ones H8, last H 7 roughly. So if you see 009795 all are aob freezing. 019795 means bl of +1.

Thanks

Looks like our area could swing either way with accums...nam appears to be ideal as u were saying

TT--where does that put them relative to earlier?

Eh, not thrilled by the NAMs sfc positions relative to the dynamics aloft - I suspect the actual sfc low track will be tucked closer in to the coast than this 00z run.

This is striking me somewhat similar to the Dec 2005 event... The model(s) are focusing on a Cape H detonation site ...which may be initially, but as the wind max aloft careen N of there, the thickness gradient packs tightest about 50 miles ESE of NYC, and we see the low is about 200 miles farther out to sea than that...

Not right. The low will tend to track along that greatest gradient, particularly when there is that much mechanical lift riding directly over top. The UVV will be focused along that axis and the low will maybe be tilted slightly east to west, but will be close to where the UVV is maximizing.

Archived