• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Second Winter Storm Threat - Oct 29/30

Baroclinic Zone

Yes, for October, this is once in a lifetime on average. If many interior spots do see 8-12" of snow, that's never happened in over 100 years of records at a lot of sites. But rare storms can happen in just a few years...just look at NW NJ...they had never seen an Oct 2008 before and now they'll see it again just 3 years later. :lol:

We still have to get it verify, but its looking like a 1 in 100 year storm right now.

People will undoubtedly bring up climate change etc if this comes to fruition.

:axe:

It seems to me from everything I've read the past three days is that this is shaping up to be a potentially historic October snow storm obviously due to an ideal set of circumstances.

Keeping in mind that major, anomalous, coastal storms in October do occur (1991 Halloween Nor'Easter comes to mind) it would be interesting to look back and see how many potential "major" near misses we've had over the past 100 years. Odds are that one had to come along and we're all just lucky it's in our adult life times.

Pretty cool stuff.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks to me that the nam is having convective feedback issues on the 0z run. It develops an erroneous vortmax, very slight vortmax, but still there, plus on the pressure field you can see the 1008mb contour elongated out to sea towards a precipitation maximum at 42 hours. This is definitely telling me that this solution should be thrown out and let's wait for the GFS to get the real answer!

Nice catch..

A little less amplified and east of 18z. It's not as drastic as the low placement on the 45hr prog indicates. Looks like there was a little convective feedback in there.

Agree, It was pointed out at 42 and you can see it developed another max hence the tug east some, SREFS were more telling of the run

Archived