joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12 - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it's this far out, it's fun to look at and make you want to watch the next run of models. I fear that this will continue to trend away. So, like Rick, I"m going to focus what I might eek out of Thursday/night. Anything else will be a bonus.

Quick question--does any snow after the summer solstice count as toward the following winter's seasonal total?

The snow season runs from July 1st to June 30th.

Hoping ski country gets an early season, massive base boost.

It isn't ridiculously early for interior SNE. I remember I think in 1987 when our football game had to be called off in early November due to snow. I think that was around the 11th. I could have sworn the year before we had a decent early November snow too.

1" plus snows in boston are incredibly rare in October per history http://www.erh.noaa....te/bossnw.shtml

But, we are talking a few days from November.

Interesting, hope you guys get an early snow.

Wimps!

Storm 2 :drunk: We still can afford to go more east too.

post-33-0-17801300-1319568434.jpg

Sometimes, being in GC can play against you.

post-33-0-80997600-1319568446.jpg

post-33-0-20461400-1319568463.jpg

post-33-0-07045400-1319568479.jpg

post-33-0-46989100-1319568497.jpg

The snow season runs from July 1st to June 30th.

Thanks.

i was thinking the same thing for here!!

Thursday Night: Snow likely, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. North wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Schweet!

Thursday

Night

nsn60.jpg

Snow

Likely

Lo 26 °F

"...12Z UPDATE... WITH ERN CONUS/WRN ATLC EVOLUTION EARLY-MID PERIOD... THE UKMET HAS ADJUSTED SOMEWHAT EWD AND THE GFS/CMC HAVE

STAYED IN THE ERN HALF OF THE SPREAD. HOWEVER THE ECMWF REMAINS THE CLOSEST TO THE COAST WITH THE SFC LOW ALBEIT WITH FASTER

TIMING. WITH THE CNTRL CONUS TROF BY SUN-MON... THE UKMET OFFERS DECENT AGREEMENT WITH THE 00Z ECMWF MEAN. THE ECMWF SEPARATES ITS

SRN STREAM FARTHER EWD THAN THE PAST 1-2 RUNS... WHICH SEEMS REASONABLE... BUT IT STILL SHOWS MORE SEPARATION THAN OTHER SOLNS.

THE GFS/GEFS MEAN/CMC REMAIN FLATTER AND MORE PROGRESSIVE. WITH THE TROF ENTERING WRN NOAM BY MON OR TUE... THE ECMWF/CMC ARE THE

SHARPEST/MOST AMPLIFIED WITH THE CMC STILL A SLOW EXTREME.

FOR THE UPDATED PRELIMS A GENERAL PREFERENCE TOWARD SOMEWHAT SLOWER PROGRESSION THAN THE GFS/GEFS CLUSTER WITH THE LEADING TWO

SYSTEMS DURING THE PERIOD FAVORED AN INITIAL BLEND OF THE 00Z ECMWF/ECMWF MEAN... 70 PCT TOWARD THE OPERATIONAL RUN DAYS 3-5

FRI-SUN AND THEN 70 PCT TOWARD THE MEAN BY DAYS 6-7 MON-TUE AS CONFIDENCE IN OPERATIONAL DETAILS DECLINES. MODEST EWD DEPARTURE

OF THE 12Z UKMET FROM THE ECMWF WITH THE WRN ATLC SYSTEM LOWERS CONFIDENCE IN THE ECMWF SCENARIO SLIGHTLY BUT GUIDANCE HAS BEEN

SUFFICIENTLY VOLATILE OVER THE PAST COUPLE DAYS TO MAINTAIN CONTINUITY FOR THE FINAL FCST OF THIS FEATURE... "

I still maintain that the consistency in the ECMWF solution is paramount. The non-wavering (comparative to the others) may in large part be born of superior initialization - particularly over the Pac domain, where the middle weekend governing dynamics are situated, the modeling requires superior estimations for input data. If the ECM had pulled the plug on this run I'd be less adverse to tossing the middle weekend ordeal, but it stayed course, and is now on D4.5 - ie, passing statistically into its verification wheel-house.

By this time tomorrow we may very well be refocusing efforts on storm profile over occurrence -

The 15z SREFs cooled off a decent amount. I suspect when the snow probabilities come in, they will be quite a bit higher than the 09z run.

With the eastward movement of Saturday--this will be a nice consolation.

More for the leaf thread, but a nice 'deck-clearing' wind today--now leaf free.

51.5/33 with top gust of 23mph at 2m.

The 15z SREFs cooled off a decent amount. I suspect when the snow probabilities come in, they will be quite a bit higher than the 09z run.

Maybe that might turn Kevin's frown upside down. :)

CTZ003-252000-

TOLLAND CT-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MANSFIELD...STAFFORD SPRINGS...VERNON

115 PM EDT TUE OCT 25 2011

.THURSDAY...RAIN LIKELY. COOLER. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURE IN THE

MID 40S. NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH...

INCREASING TO 30 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS.

COOLER WITH LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

70 PERCENT.

.FRIDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID

51.4/33

Maybe that might turn Kevin's frown upside down. :)

CTZ003-252000-

TOLLAND CT-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MANSFIELD...STAFFORD SPRINGS...VERNON

115 PM EDT TUE OCT 25 2011

.THURSDAY...RAIN LIKELY. COOLER. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURE IN THE

MID 40S. NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH...

INCREASING TO 30 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS.

COOLER WITH LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

70 PERCENT.

.FRIDAY...SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID

51.4/33

LOL..I'm stoked..I'm preparing for 1-2 inches Thursday nite

What a nice burst from that second wave of moisture modeled on the SREFs. That will whiten up the ground in many spots.

They look really good. Hopefully they are seeing something with their slightly later initialization that the Euro isn't...but I won't hold my breath quite yet.

They look really good. Hopefully they are seeing something with their slightly later initialization that the Euro isn't...but I won't hold my breath quite yet.

Almost every NMM/ARW member is a complete whiff or graze for the CON area. Based on the globals I'd have to think the mean will be bumping slightly north with time unless they're seeing something the globals aren't.

Archived