joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12 - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a classic model bias leading up to the Saturday storm... euro showing a bomb and the GFS is still trying to find the storm. Euro is always a head of the game..

GGEM west, EURO huge hit, GFS is SE..

Same crap year after year.. cue the bus

The NAM looked like by friday morning it's snowing right into the heart of the Ct Valley N. of the Pike.

I'm hoping my latitude helps but I could use another 200' - 300' of el.

This will be one of those storms where I'll be able to see more snow on top of the hill behind my house than I have imby.

Yup.. me too! I have a little elevation on you, but it's minimal. I too would prefer a few hundred feet more!

Can't really complain though, as we're not really in THAT terrible a spot. I mean, we could be way worse...

SREFs still looked like they wanted to put down some small acc even down to Kevin? It's going to be a race, but it almost looks like they want two waves of precip. Maybe the first wave is weak with some leading WAA type rain and the second slug of QPF is assoc with better QG forcing (both warm air advection and positive vorticity advection)

Yup.. me too! I have a little elevation on you, but it's minimal. I too would prefer a few hundred feet more!

Can't really complain though, as we're not really in THAT terrible a spot. I mean, we could be way worse...

You are in a great spot.

That area should do well.

any idea how long it takes to install a high speed quad? (I know, OT, but Wachusett is taking forever)

SREFs still looked like they wanted to put down some small acc even down to Kevin? It's going to be a race, but it almost looks like they want two waves of precip. Maybe the first wave is weak with some leading WAA type rain and the second slug of QPF is assoc with better QG forcing (both warm air advection and positive vorticity advection)

I'll take 1-2 and run

Yeah, it's pretty certain we at least see snow this week even if it doesn't accumulate.

MPM is sitting in a good location for this one.

You're close. 800' seems to be the magic number around these parts.

Maybe you can hike up the 'Beast and get in your first turns of the year.

Yeah MPM might be in decent shape with storm 1..probably Pete too, but MPM's latitude might help a bit. Even up by Greenfield in the lower elevations should see a flip.MPM isn't at 2K, but that corner of mass seems to be in good shape.

Of course it is all relative, we aren't talking 8" of snow, but I mean from an overall point of view...I'd like where he sits. Obviously Socks too. Mitch should hunker down at Pete's job site.

You are in a great spot.

That area should do well.

any idea how long it takes to install a high speed quad? (I know, OT, but Wachusett is taking forever)

If it's not up yet, chances are, you're not going to be riding it this winter... Where are they currently at with the installation? Are all of the towers up? What about the haul rope?

Yeah MPM might be in decent shape with storm 1..probably Pete too, but MPM's latitude might help a bit. Even up by Greenfield in the lower elevations should see a flip.MPM isn't at 2K, but that corner of mass seems to be in good shape.

Of course it is all relative, we aren't talking 8" of snow, but I mean from an overall point of view...I'd like where he sits. Obviously Socks too. Mitch should hunker down at Pete's job site.

Why do you always favor Pete, MPM, Tubes over me?

Some sort of conspiracy. You don't want me to get snow. I see how it is...

Time to go leaf blow the flower beds and mow the lawn again. Where did I put the Lesco

Yeah, it's pretty certain we at least see snow this week even if it doesn't accumulate.

MPM is sitting in a good location for this one.

You're close. 800' seems to be the magic number around these parts.

Maybe you can hike up the 'Beast and get in your first turns of the year.

It's possible, but I really don't have a set of true "rock skis" that I'd be willing to trash... I haven't been on the mountain since last April, but I do know that they haven't mowed any of the trails this fall due to the rain, so I'd probably be skiing through slanted fields of goldenrod...

Not to mention (I almost forgot), it's out of the question as I'm going in tomorrow for carpal tunnel surgery. I can't see myself being up for slinging my skis up a mountain.

If it's not up yet, chances are, you're not going to be riding it this winter... Where are they currently at with the installation? Are all of the towers up? What about the haul rope?

They are using the existing towers from the old 3 person lift. Kinda odd f they don't finish it in time. Would service the beginner area. They have built the building at the bottom, but it does not look anythink like the other quads they have.

cam1.jpg

Why do you always favor Pete, MPM, Tubes over me?

Some sort of conspiracy. You don't want me to get snow. I see how it is...

Time to go leaf blow the flower beds and mow the lawn again. Where did I put the Lesco

No your lat will def help out too. You might be similar to MPM.

As far as Kevin goes and I know Ryan feels this way, my only concern is if the moisture leaves right when the atmosphere gets cold enough. I think he'll see flakes, but unsure of an accumulation. Hopefully the 12z runs today help him out. SREFs actually gave him ok probs for coating to an inch fwiw.

As far as Kevin goes and I know Ryan feels this way, my only concern is if the moisture leaves right when the atmosphere gets cold enough. I think he'll see flakes, but unsure of an accumulation. Hopefully the 12z runs today help him out. SREFs actually gave him ok probs for coating to an inch fwiw.

lol... I was just parroting his rant from yesterday. I'm really not concerned one way or the other. Bonus snow if I get it.

Saturday looks more interesting met-wise to me anyway. Aviation concerns from that one?

They are using the existing towers from the old 3 person lift. Kinda odd f they don't finish it in time. Would service the beginner area. They have built the building at the bottom, but it does not look anythink like the other quads they have.

cam1.jpg

Dude, nobody's riding that thing this season... I'm certain that Wawa is way more of a professional outfit than B'East, but I can tell you that they've got a long, long way to go. It's not like they can just make the old lift detachable...

If it's going from a triple to a quad, they've needed to modify each of the towers so that they can handle the wider chairs. They'll also need completely new terminals at the top and bottom, including new bullwheels. Obviously the haul rope will need to be put in, and splicing the ends together is no laughing matter... Installing all of the chairs, com lines, electronics, etc. comes next, and then the thing has to be thoroughly tested (load testing for anti-rollback), and then inspected and signed off on. ...and that doesn't even take into account all of the other stuff that's specific to a detachable chair.

Are they installing a brand new lift, or is it a used one that's just "new" to the mountain? ...either way, there are so many unforseen things that can cause huge delays.

Every ski area has soo many projects that they'd like to get done during each off-season. I know, the ski season seems very short, but unfortunately, the off-season can seem too short for a ski resort. There's just not enough hours in the day to get everything done...

lol... I was just parroting his rant from yesterday. I'm really not concerned one way or the other. Bonus snow if I get it.

Saturday looks more interesting met-wise to me anyway. Aviation concerns from that one?

Not necessarily yet, but Rina is more important right now, down in the Carb.

I'm riding them like Ray rode up on Brokeback this past weekend

Dude, nobody's riding that thing this season... I'm certain that Wawa is way more of a professional outfit than B'East, but I can tell you that they've got a long, long way to go. It's not like they can just make the old lift detachable...

If it's going from a triple to a quad, they've needed to modify each of the towers so that they can handle the wider chairs. They'll also need completely new terminals at the top and bottom, including new bullwheels. Obviously the haul rope will need to be put in, and splicing the ends together is no laughing matter... Installing all of the chairs, com lines, electronics, etc. comes next, and then the thing has to be thoroughly tested (load testing for anti-rollback), and then inspected and signed off on. ...and that doesn't even take into account all of the other stuff that's specific to a detachable chair.

Are they installing a brand new lift, or is it a used one that's just "new" to the mountain? ...either way, there are so many unforseen things that can cause huge delays.

Every ski area has soo many projects that they'd like to get done during each off-season. I know, the ski season seems very short, but unfortunately, the off-season can seem too short for a ski resort. There's just not enough hours in the day to get everything done...

Yeah... wow. They have like 3 months worth of work left there. Just the splicing of the haul rope could be a week in itself depending on how professional the guy/outfit is (in-house or private company) and then its gotta pass the rope inspection. They'll have fun outfitting all the electronics in the cold weather come Nov/Dec, too... the brittle bars, CPS, etc. A few days of load testing and then the state tramway inspection... no bargain that you pass on the first try, too.

Archived