joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12 - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

may have been a too generous for NWCT, but they seem to do good in these climo favored situations

I can usually tell where a poster is from based on their snowfall map. And you/yours is no exception. And that's fine, because you rightly focus on your region of interest. But as I've lived in Boston, Albany, and NYC, I have a residual interest in areas that span the entirely of your map.

If Poughkeepsie, NY gets more than a dusting of snow, there's a good likelihood that the higher elevations of the Catskills will get a good hit. The 12z NAM prints out 1+ liquid from nearly BGM, NY to southern VT. And it's pretty cold. BGM airport is at 1600ft and the Catskills have a few 4k peaks. The southern Dacks, Saratoga region, and even Capital District could get involved (especially if the NAM is even close to right). At least that's what I would be thinking if I expected widespread accumulating snow in almost all of MA, and southern VT/NH.

The only thing is that is still seems to want to dry us out pretty quick as the cold air comes....esp near and south of the Pike.

Tight gradient this run...but man, they get nailed pretty good around Rt 2 and northward. Ashburnham gets 5-6" while I maybe an inch, lol.

Yeah I was going to say along and south of the Pike get squat this run... maybe a bit better out your way.

Tight gradient this run...but man, they get nailed pretty good around Rt 2 and northward. Ashburnham gets 5-6" while I maybe an inch, lol.

Yeah real tight gradient. Look at that 850 low too. Check out that thermal gradient. Someone is having one heck of an isothermal layer..lol. Melting snow actually helps cool the column.

Quick look at hr 90 on the GFS, 500mb and 300mb look really interesting for possible storm #2. Much sharper than previous runs. Maybe similar to Euro depictions. Haven't done a side by side to check.

Lower elevations have a better chance - in my opinion - with deeper cold pool aloft and more dynamic storm. I'd want to be 1500ft and up with the overrunning scenario of storm #1 - at least in Oct.

Storm #1 kind of reminds me of an early/mid November accumulating snowfall in 2004. Anybody remember that? Got 5" in Dorchester. Mid-levels were cold but most people doubted the boundary level cooling potential. Ended up snowing right to the ocean, 31F, accumulations of all surfaces.

Archived