Newest Member
    joxey
First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12 - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 00z Euro wasn't great either.

The problem has been for most areas outside of areas that can reasonably expect snow in late October (near 1500 or 2kft in the Berks or srn Greens) is that we're relying on an overrunning event and an open wave with enough lingering frontogenesis and a burst of QG forcing to do the trick.

If the low was closing off underneath us and we were talking about a burst of northerly ageostrophic 25 knots in the boundary layer I'd be a lot more excited.

Instead as usual we have the NAM developing too much vertical motion and cooling things too fast.

So, yeah, Socks and adjacent northern ORH county could get a couple inches of slop but in the grand scheme of things it's not such a rare event. 2 or 3" in Mt Tolland and into the valleys around CT and Mass would be something much more unusual and exciting.

That frontogenesis band would produce I think. I think the problem is that the euro is just too far north with it. South of that good frontogenesis area will probably be some light echoes.

That frontogenesis band would produce I think. I think the problem is that the euro is just too far north with it. South of that good frontogenesis area will probably be some light echoes.

Oh yeah no doubt you'd get a band... for this time of year I'd want to see a megaband NW of a cranking mid level low.

Will, 1-3" seems like a conservative call for Rindge/Monadnocks given that most models print out close to 1" QPF, with the majority falling as snow here. Are you expecting the storm to be warmer like the 12z NAM where some of the initial overrunning is lost to rain, or are you just doubting the intensity of the precipitation without a closed H7/H85 low for the entirely of the storm? The 12z NAM did close off the 850mb vort off the coast of New England, so maybe it's on to something about more of a CCB with moisture wrapping back into the cold air?

I was talking about this in my meteorology workshop, kids are very excited. I said 2-4" would be a decent guess for campus...we're often a little colder than downtown Rindge.

My rule of thumb is to always play down anything in before November. Better to be pleasantly surprised by the rarity than disappointed than the climatologically likely.

The Euro type scenario is exactly why I wouldn't forecast more than 1-3" right now for northern hills/GC...and more than an inch here. Obviously it could come in a shade colder before we get to this event,. but there's a lot of ways that we won't see that much from this system...the Euro solution is one of them.

I've been sticking with 3" here.

Wow... easy foot for BDL lol

Maybe I should jinx it by moving the snowblower from the shed to the end of the driveway and to put my yard markers out so the plows know where the road is.

SPeaking of roads, they're finally getting around to repairing the paved section of Patten Hill road that washed out in Irene. Have no idea when they'll tackle the unpaved areas. Makes for a fun drive regardless.

Sounds like the Euro op nodded towds the 00 Euro ens which were a bit SE of the op right?

It has slowly trended se a bit which is good. It still pulls a 12/26/10 and curls up to just east of NJ before going east. Basically it moves due north along a pseudo cstl front before starting to occlude and move ene.

Starting to think the Euro might be the odd model out here and bow to the others in the end. Of course the last time I said something like that (sometime last winter) the Euro was the only correct model in the end.

Its been trending ENE each run, A couple of days ago it was NE thru the Eastern Gulf Of Maine, Now its East of Southern Nova Scotia...

It has slowly trended se a bit which is good. It still pulls a 12/26/10 and curls up to just east of NJ before going east. Basically it moves due north along a pseudo cstl front before starting to occlude and move ene.

Let's hope it stops there...4 more days and 7 more euro runs is a long time for alot of bad trends to happen

So I am going to interpulate without a "how much in my backyard question". In the Plymouth area of NH 2-4" for the hills storm 1 and 3-6" for storm 2 according to the Euro????. I really like trends and the ENE trend on the Euro may not bode well for areas up here. I'm interested but not bullish on storm 2 as the GFS has it way OTS and the Euro has this ENE trend.

Hoping ski country gets an early season, massive base boost.

It isn't ridiculously early for interior SNE. I remember I think in 1987 when our football game had to be called off in early November due to snow. I think that was around the 11th. I could have sworn the year before we had a decent early November snow too.

1" plus snows in boston are incredibly rare in October per history http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/climate/bossnw.shtml

But, we are talking a few days from November.

Interesting, hope you guys get an early snow.

Hoping ski country gets an early season, massive base boost.

It isn't ridiculously early for interior SNE. I remember I think in 1987 when our football game had to be called off in early November due to snow. I think that was around the 11th. I could have sworn the year before we had a decent early November snow too.

1" plus snows in boston are incredibly rare in October per history http://www.erh.noaa....te/bossnw.shtml

But, we are talking a few days from November.

Interesting, hope you guys get an early snow.

Yeah was just looking at the 11/11/87 storm. Noreaster that brought decent snows after starting as rain.

Archived