joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

35.1F Escaped the frost again. Its really interesting how my home situated 500 feet above the countryside and faceing SW always has a longer growing season. My house is 225 years old and the settlers knew what they were doing. I dry out quicker and loose snowcover faster in the spring and don't get the frosts as quick in the fall. The land rises a couple more hundred feet to my NW so the house is protected from the strong NW gales in winter storms. Perfect place to build a house in those days. I have also heard that settlers liked to build high so they can see other homesteads in the area and that makes them feel less alone.

Still very green with little color for October 6th. Guess it will come on very rapidly now. Pond is 100% full, very rare for October.

I have attached 2 pictures from my webcam. The first is from this AM and the second was from October 6 2010 and the third was October7 2009

Gene

post-268-0-04342500-1317992558.jpg

post-268-0-93705500-1317992588.jpg

post-268-0-91256500-1317992633.jpg

Less frost this morning, but still on windshield and shingles, down to 30F about a degree warmer than yesterday morning.

Day off and enjoying a cup of java sitting by the woodstove :)

Although not exactly New England football weather, I am not going to lie, I am going to enjoy the low 80's while at the Pats game this weekend :thumbsup:.

About the same this AM as yesterday's 25, but the frost wasn't quite so thick. Skim ice on the washtub under the eaves. Coldest I noted in New England was 21 at HUL.

Only reached 50 yesterday; today will be significantly higher than that. Would be a wonderful day to attack the woodpile, but since Monday is a state holiday and my workload doesn't allow me to miss both days, I get to do firewood at 70-75 instead of 55-60. (OT warning: And if I ran the MSEA, Columbus and Patriots Days would be the first offered on the negotiating table to avoid the other wage/benefit concessions we're sure to be hit with.)

35.1F Escaped the frost again. Its really interesting how my home situated 500 feet above the countryside and faceing SW always has a longer growing season. My house is 225 years old and the settlers knew what they were doing. I dry out quicker and loose snowcover faster in the spring and don't get the frosts as quick in the fall. The land rises a couple more hundred feet to my NW so the house is protected from the strong NW gales in winter storms. Perfect place to build a house in those days. I have also heard that settlers liked to build high so they can see other homesteads in the area and that makes them feel less alone.

Still very green with little color for October 6th. Guess it will come on very rapidly now. Pond is 100% full, very rare for October.

I have attached 2 pictures from my webcam. The first is from this AM and the second was from October 6 2010 and the third was October7 2009

Gene

gene, what 's the brand/make of your webcam? thanks,.

When I left the house this morning around 6:00 A.M., the temperature was 33.4 F, and that was also the lowest recorded for the overnight on the memory thermometer.

The temperature at the house ultimately bottomed out at 33.1 F yesterday morning at some point after I left, and that was also the lowest I saw on the thermometer this morning. There was no detectable frost this morning in the yard, and plenty of fog, which I suspect helped in frost protection – as I drove down the Winooski Valley it was foggy until I hit Jonesville, and then whatever areas were clear of fog had notable frost.

Heavy frost in south burlignton. Actually FROST grew during my run and it was pretty cool. Started at 5:50 am and once i broke out of the woods into and the path passed some fields the frost was apparent. Passed by the same spot about an hour later and there was significantly more frost in the same spot. Pretty cool actually. My air temp at the condo was 35.5 but I suspect that reading is a bit high as it's sorta in a protected nook and the kitchen window was open, allowing some bleeding of warm air from the kitchen into the meter.

This weekend looks to be the greatest weekend in October history.

:sizzle:

Repeat of Columbus Day weekend 21 yr ago, which had 80+ temps 2 of the 3 days. I only remember it because we were headed from Gardiner, Maine to my dad's at Woodsville, NH and got caught in a major traffic jam on the Kanc - took us 2 hr to coast downhill (very fortunately) for 7 miles. For the 1st hr we leapfrogged with some college-age (estimate) pedestrians who were walking down toward Lincoln. I think the trigger was the 4 PM closing of the leafpeeper lift at Loon and the influx from there into already dense traffic. At least the going improved to normal Lincoln madness once we passed the ski area entry. Nicest traffic jam we've ever been in, as we were in no hurry, it was all coasting (so no clutchwork needed), the wx was windows-down lovely and the colors excellent.

Heading up to Stowe for the weekend. Can't wait :)

Nice... I'm bummed that I've been in CT the past few days. Friends have said its been absolutely beautiful up there. This weekend looks like 70s in Stowe village. Pay attention to the diurnal temperature change, I don't know why I always love how much the temperature changes every 24 hours; we warm quite a bit between the two mountain ranges (Worcesters to the east and Greens to the west) but likewise drop like a rock at night.

Where are you staying, Ryan?

The forecast looks amazing... this is for 800ft in the village... upper 30s tomorrow morning followed by mid 70s in the afternoon, then back down to 44F Saturday night. There's that nice 30-35F diurnal temperature swing in the mountain valley.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 38. Light south wind.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 74. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 44. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 75. Calm wind becoming west around 6 mph.

It looks like I missed 2 mornings of 29F low temps based on KMVL and local mesonets were in the 28-31F range. Bummer I missed the first 20s. This weekend looks absolutely stellar though and I really don't mind the warmth this time of year. It used to annoy me when it was warm this time of year but after several years of living in northern VT I've gotten used to knowing that *it* will snow at some point. No reason to worry about the warm pattern... just as long as we get normal temperatures or even below starting in mid-November for snowmaking and snow chances. Until then I'll enjoy the mild weather.

Near record high temps this weekend... I am sort of curious as to why St Johnsbury (1V4) is substantially warmer than all the other stations at 700ft in the northeast kingdom. They downslope on SE winds but I'm assuming most of these records were not caused by SE flow. Some of those records are like 10F higher than any other station.

.CLIMATE... AS OF 330 PM EDT FRIDAY...WITH VERY WARM TEMPERATURES EXPECTED FOR THIS UPCOMING WEEKEND...SOME RECORD HIGHS MAY BE APPROACHED OR EXCEEDED. BELOW ARE THE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES FOR SAT OCT 8 THROUGH MON OCT 10.

10/08 10/09 10/10

BTV- 77 (1970) 79 (1970) 81 (1909)

MMN- 68 (1970) 67 (1970) 64 (2003)

1V4- 84 (1963) 89 (1909) 92 (1909)

MPV- 77 (1993) 78 (1970) 80 (1949)

MSS- 80 (1994) 81 (1997) 80 (1970)

Heading up to Stowe for the weekend. Can't wait

You should have a blast, this high pressure is setting up some amazing weather - I was in Stowe a couple of times today and town is definitely hoppin' with visitors. I suspect we’ll be in town and up at the resort a couple more times this weekend as well to take advantage of the opportunity Mother Nature has delivered. I agree with Powderfreak though about the warm weather, and I’m not sure why anyone would complain – warm in October basically brings the temperatures up to perfection. That’s what’s so great about October. Barring extensive rain, temperatures substantially above average make for perfect Indian-summer style weather, average temperatures make for that, crisp, autumn weather, and then if the temperatures are significantly enough below average we often end up with some snow to make some early-season turns and get those great vistas of white-capped peaks above the foliage. Two years ago that first round of skiable snow was Sep 30/Oct 1:

01OCT09D.jpg

And last year it was around mid month:

16OCT10A.jpg

October is one pretty amazing month. This year it looks like we get to enjoy the warmth instead of the snow, at least for the first half of the month or so.

Archived