joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

28.5° this morning, had to scrape the windshields.

32.2 this morning. I also had to scrape the windshield but had no other frost at the house. There was some frost in a small pocket at the neighbors' house and a heavy frost once I got down the hill a little bit.

first under 30F for the fall, made it 28F

First sub 30 for me too. Our earlier light frosts were both 31/32 morns.

strange this year, some trees haven't gone to color, some are full on, and a lot seem to have gone right to full drop

Definitely noticed similar happenings here. I have green poplars--though yellowing now, some nice orange maples and bare white ash, lol.

is it possible the chipmunk that kept barking at me from 10" away was alerting the deer? and do chipmunks taste good?

Heh, maybe so, even if inadvertently. I know that when walking in the woods myself and I hear a red squirrel off in the distance scolding away, something is over there pissing it off. Not sure how the monks taste but I guess eating one is better than one stuck in a bucket.

sitting in a tree on the edge of a field in N VT, while extremely the opposite, has as much sensory impact as watching people fight for a spot on a Manhattan bound express subway car in Queens

Indeed, but much less jarring and grating!

Latest date in my 14 yr here for 1st frost by 6 days , but it was a good'un. Blew right past frost and freeze, to 25F at 7 AM, which I presume was the bottom. Solid thick frost, which (as usual) kept re-forming as I drove out the 0.4 mile gravel, thru thick woods which hold in the humidity. Once I reach the pavement and open fields, the windshield stays clear.

Hit two short heavy showers as we traveled home from BGR 3:30-5P, 1st near BGR and 2nd just west of Newport. Each dropped the temp from 51 to 42 on the car thermometer, and the 2nd one featured some slushy splats on the windshield. Only sprinkles at home, but winds G to near 40. My 13-yr avg for this date is 58/37, so today (est 52/25) will be -9, not all that noteworthy. Then Sat/Sun's upper 70s forecast will probably bring a day or two of +15.

First sub 30 for me too. Our earlier light frosts were both 31/32 morns.

Definitely noticed similar happenings here. I have green poplars--though yellowing now, some nice orange maples and bare white ash, lol.

Heh, maybe so, even if inadvertently. I know that when walking in the woods myself and I hear a red squirrel off in the distance scolding away, something is over there pissing it off. Not sure how the monks taste but I guess eating one is better than one stuck in a bucket.

Indeed, but much less jarring and grating!

oops! definitely a squirrel vs. chippy, so much to learn.

after writing the ob about the trees I thought maybe I was just stating the obvious of every year, as I am still working on my MOB degree, just seemed like remarkably bare for the first week of Oct.

AMOUT, Looks like Brian's bug is on life support......lol

Freeze Warning

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

119 PM EDT THU OCT 6 2011

...ANOTHER HARD FREEZE WITH WIDESPREAD FROST EXPECTED AGAIN

TONIGHT INTO EARLY FRIDAY FOR SOUTHERN MAINE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE

INCLUDING THE COAST...

.CANADIAN HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD OVERHEAD TONIGHT...ALLOWING

WINDS TO BECOME LIGHT AND VARIABLE. THIS WILL ENABLE TEMPERATURES

TO QUICKLY DROP AFTER SUNSET...WITH TEMPERATURES NEAR TO BELOW

FREEZING BY MIDNIGHT. UPPER 20S TO NEAR 30 DEGREES READINGS ARE

EXPECTED ACROSS THE INTERIOR...WHILE LOW TO MID 30S WILL BE FOUND

ALONG THE COAST.

MEZ018>022-NHZ005>010-013-070130-

/O.UPG.KGYX.FR.Y.0007.111007T0400Z-111007T1200Z/

/O.NEW.KGYX.FZ.W.0004.111007T0400Z-111007T1200Z/

INTERIOR YORK-INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-

INTERIOR WALDO-SOUTHERN GRAFTON-SOUTHERN CARROLL-SULLIVAN-

MERRIMACK-BELKNAP-STRAFFORD-INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SANFORD...BERWICK...NORTH WINDHAM...

GORHAM...BRIDGTON...LEWISTON-AUBURN...LIVERMORE FALLS...AUGUSTA...

WATERVILLE...WINTERPORT...UNITY...LEBANON...HANOVER...PLYMOUTH...

WOLFEBORO...OSSIPEE...CLAREMONT...NEWPORT...CHARLESTOWN...

CONCORD...HOOKSETT...LACONIA...MEREDITH...ROCHESTER...DOVER...

SALEM...DERRY...EXETER

119 PM EDT THU OCT 6 2011

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM EDT

FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A FREEZE

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM EDT

FRIDAY. THE FROST ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

* TIMING...TEMPERATURES WILL FALL NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING AFTER

MIDNIGHT.

* IMPACTS...FREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL LIKELY BRING AN END TO

THE GROWING SEASON FOR ANY UNPROTECTED VEGETATION.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED.

THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE VEGETATION

I hope it dies. If not it could be awhile. 55.6 max and 34.3 min so far giving me a mean of 45.0 and exactly 20.0 HDD on the day. This is my coldest day since 4/23 when 1.2" of snow fell during the day.

Still no frost here thus far. Dont think I made it lower than 36.4 this AM thats what it was around 7AM. Tonight looks like a safe bet with a freeze warning for temps in the upper 20s.

I remember that small snow event because I left for florida that evening so it was quite a different scene when I got there.

Forecast only calls for lower 30's... have a feeling I'll still have healthy coleus plants tomorrow afternoon since the lake only lost 2 degrees last night and stands at 62.

Just fell below 50 here.

My elephant ears are toast after this morning...all brown and shriveled.

18z MAV has 26F for CON and 31F for LCI. What does a 31F at LCI this time of year usually mean for you? 33-34ish?

My elephant ears are toast after this morning...all brown and shriveled.

18z MAV has 26F for CON and 31F for LCI. What does a 31F at LCI this time of year usually mean for you? 33-34ish?

yeah the elephant ears can turn into slimy blobs after being frosted. I usually cut the leaves off before any expected frost if I can't dig them in time. hopefully I'll make it down there once more before I leave, so I can dig it up since I don't mind the slime. I should have about four 5 gallon buckets of bulbs total this year. :sun:

33-34 sounds about right.

been stuck at 45-46 for the past 90 minutes.

I hope it dies. If not it could be awhile. 55.6 max and 34.3 min so far giving me a mean of 45.0 and exactly 20.0 HDD on the day. This is my coldest day since 4/23 when 1.2" of snow fell during the day.

Your right, This is the only chance for a while, I would have thought you would decouple better in your area, You must be elevated

Your right, This is the only chance for a while, I would have thought you would decouple better in your area, You must be elevated

Like I said in a previous post...I'm 200ft up on a hillside. The "valley" was probably in the 31-32F range this morning with their heavy frost. I kept a pesky wind most of the night...I had 1 calm period and it quickly dropped to 34F before the 5mph winds came back.

37.9F right now and fairly calm finally.

Like I said in a previous post...I'm 200ft up on a hillside. The "valley" was probably in the 31-32F range this morning with their heavy frost. I kept a pesky wind most of the night...I had 1 calm period and it quickly dropped to 34F before the 5mph winds came back.

37.9F right now and fairly calm finally.

Did not see you earlier post but now it makes sense, The bug may live....

Archived