joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a 37 degree rise here yesterday from a low of 37F to a high of 74F. Impressive.

Went out last night and saw some pretty wild swings on the truck thermometer based on where I was: windy hillsides were still in the mid/upper 50s as late as 9:30pm and the still, low-lying hollow bottoms were covered in ground fog and down into the mid-40s. All within just a few miles of each other.

Got back down to 43F here this morning while forecast low was 51. Hmmmm.

Yeah, it was warm yesterday and will be so again today but it wasn't too bad. This time of year, it's a fleeting warm-up: the days are of course shorter and the hours of peak heating are earlier in the day than they would be in the midst of summer. We were alredy dropping through the upper 60s by 4:00 or so yesterday afternoon.

Some pics of my IR cloud sensor.

The sensor hooked up to a 2nd breadboard outside. I'll need to find a way to shelter it with some kind of 5.5-14 micron IR window attached, but for these dry days this works for now.

002s.png

My debug screen showing the current IR sky temp (deg C and K working...the current deg F is just showing the sensor raw output for now. -13.3C is 8F. To the left is my 2m outdoor temp at the time which was 73F. That gives me a 65F deltaT or IOW, clear.

004s.png

A pic of my sad elephant ear for Scott.

003s.png

And now some Kanc damage from yesterday...

067s.png

049s.png

048s.png

047s.png

Elephant ear doesn't look like I thought it would. I though it might have frozen, after which the stems turn into soft slimey gelatinous tubes.

Yeah...it's not totally toast. I mainly held in that 34-36F range most of the morning on the 7th until that late drop to 32.5F near sunrise. So it wasn't a complete loss.

PWM blasted by the old record of 79F. Currently 82F on the tarmac. Warm day ... had a great paddle on Little Sebago with no wind. Awesome conditions.

Yup...new records at CON and PWM...84 and 83 respectively now. CON's 18z max is 5F ahead of yesterday (they eventually hit 80) and PWM's is 3F ahead (they eventually hit 81). So maybe we can tack on another 1-2F. The wind has picked up a bit here in the last 15 mins with gusts near 15mph so maybe that will help mix down another degree or 2 as well.

Up another .5F in the past 10 minutes 80.6F. I noticed Roberval Quebec 275 miles north of me is 82F!!

79.2 here so far. Strangely the Sanbornton RWIS just to my north is only 75F for a high and only 71F right now. The Winnipesaukee River HADS site 170ft lower than me downtown is 80.9F.

Just hit 80.1F Very impressive for my elevation. Its 2:53pm so maybe I can add on another tenth or two but didn't think I would hit 80F! Asian ladybugs are coming out of the woodwork and are everyplace in the house!

I expected an invasion of the bugs today, but none showed up. Maybe Monday? (or they all drowned)

Got back down to 43F here this morning while forecast low was 51. Hmmmm.

Low of 40F last night (forecast was 47F!) and high of 80F today!

40F temperature spread today at MVL Morrisville-Stowe ASOS.

Folks from SNE are commenting on how warm it gets during the day and then how cold it gets at night. Town is packed (I never saw anything like this last fall) with beautiful weather, peak foliage, Columbus Day weekend, and Canadian Thanksgiving. Every hotel and lodge is sold out, restaurants and bars are at capacity... crazy stuff but great for businesses.

What a weekend! Stayed at a friends house on spruce haven in Waterbury. Hiked Mansfield today. Great weekend all around... Felt like July not October lol.

I did go swimming at some waterfall near the ski area... Was freezing!!!

Nice... I'm bummed that I've been in CT the past few days. Friends have said its been absolutely beautiful up there. This weekend looks like 70s in Stowe village. Pay attention to the diurnal temperature change, I don't know why I always love how much the temperature changes every 24 hours; we warm quite a bit between the two mountain ranges (Worcesters to the east and Greens to the west) but likewise drop like a rock at night.

Where are you staying, Ryan?

The forecast looks amazing... this is for 800ft in the village... upper 30s tomorrow morning followed by mid 70s in the afternoon, then back down to 44F Saturday night. There's that nice 30-35F diurnal temperature swing in the mountain valley.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 38. Light south wind.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 74. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 44. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 75. Calm wind becoming west around 6 mph.

It looks like I missed 2 mornings of 29F low temps based on KMVL and local mesonets were in the 28-31F range. Bummer I missed the first 20s. This weekend looks absolutely stellar though and I really don't mind the warmth this time of year. It used to annoy me when it was warm this time of year but after several years of living in northern VT I've gotten used to knowing that *it* will snow at some point. No reason to worry about the warm pattern... just as long as we get normal temperatures or even below starting in mid-November for snowmaking and snow chances. Until then I'll enjoy the mild weather.

What a weekend! Stayed at a friends house on spruce haven in Waterbury. Hiked Mansfield today. Great weekend all around... Felt like July not October lol.

I did go swimming at some waterfall near the ski area... Was freezing!!!

Cool... you probably visited Bingham falls. That water felt so sweet after that stretch of 90F weather we had earlier in the summer. No matter how hot it gets or for how long, that water is always ice cold.

Record to near record warmth in the North Country this long weekend. Really can't complain this time of year.

In other news, the mosquitos are out again in South BTV. At this point I assume I'll have to use bug spray to go rowing until sometime in December.

Looks warm or at best slightly above seasonal average through the next 10 days. Interesting model solutions to a system coming across the country around the 22nd or so. GFS wants to give the North Country a decent shot at a storm. We'll see.....

Cool... you probably visited Bingham falls. That water felt so sweet after that stretch of 90F weather we had earlier in the summer. No matter how hot it gets or for how long, that water is always ice cold.

Record to near record warmth in the North Country this long weekend. Really can't complain this time of year.

Yup it was Bingham Falls. Wish I had a bathing suit... but underwear worked fine lol.

Really a fantastic weekend... I forgot how much I loved Stowe. The hike from the top of the Toll Road to the summit of Mansfield was awesome... packed though. I was in shorts and a t shirt and sweating like crazy... that doesn't happen too often in October at 4400 feet lol.

Foliage was blah.... this year won't be an exciting year I fear for most of NE.

Had an interesting ride to work this morning--and ride I did. Not many days left in the motorcycling season and with balmy temps in the offing, decided to take two wheels to work today. Anyway, had low of 47F at the house this morning under clear but slightly hazy skies, and it was up to just about 50F when I shoved off.

To avoid a rough dirt road still under repair after Irene, I took the long way round--up the hill from the house to a locale known as Vershire Heights, the top of which is up at 1800' and then all the way down Route 113 through Vershire, West Fairlee, Post Mills and finally East Thetford at the bottom of the CT River valley at 450'. The stretch up at Vershire Heights was as mild as can be. I don't have a thermometer on the bike but it must've been in the low/mid 60s up there. There's a Wunderground station here in Corinth at the top of a pointy knob at 1700' which might serve as a proxy for Vershire Heights. The low at the Wunderground station was a warm 59.5F.

A couple miles east of the heights, and already down to about 1200', I ran into a brick wall of cold, dense air. Again, no thermometer handy but my experience tells me that it must've been down in the mid/upper 40s. The amazing thing is there was hardly any gradation at all. One second I'm in the balmy air and the next, wham!, a sheer wall of cold air. When riding a motorcycle, the rider feels the temperature changes as the terrain changes all the time but it's rare to have such a sharp divide over only 50' or so of travel.

It stayed chilly the rest of the way into the deep valley and eventually I ran into the blasted morning fog. This time it was very low to the ground as well as only down in the immediate valley itself. Nice to get out for a ride though, fog be damned.

Archived