• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

47F currently.... low of 45F. We've been radiating very nicely lately. Emily's Bridge station in Stowe hit 44F and MVL was 45F. A bit different from MPV (50F) and BTV (52F).

And Allenson... I really don't have much aspect here. Flat terrain in the West Branch flood plain... like being in a field near 800ft surrounded by higher terrain. The sun does go down in Stowe when it sets west of the Green Mountain spine. The sun definitely leaves this eastern slope of the Spine a lot earlier than the western slope and Champlain Valley. I've noticed early on in the night we can be 10-15F cooler than western slope towns at similar elevations just because the sun sets here earlier.

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What

upslope

Event?

Yeah that looks about right, haha. That was a solid event... too bad it was feet and feet of fluff on top of frozen dirt. If only we had a base snowpack (damn poor November!) that skiing would've been off-the-hook. As it was you were floating through waist deep feathers while dragging your skies across rocks and frozen ground.

47F currently.... low of 45F. We've been radiating very nicely lately. Emily's Bridge station in Stowe hit 44F and MVL was 45F. A bit different from MPV (50F) and BTV (52F).

And Allenson... I really don't have much aspect here. Flat terrain in the West Branch flood plain... like being in a field near 800ft surrounded by higher terrain. The sun does go down in Stowe when it sets west of the Green Mountain spine. The sun definitely leaves this eastern slope of the Spine a lot earlier than the western slope and Champlain Valley. I've noticed early on in the night we can be 10-15F cooler than western slope towns at similar elevations just because the sun sets here earlier.

Colder than here this morning--bottomed out at 47F here. Pretty good dirunal swing though after a high of 78F yesterday....

nice pics J.

Thx border, I really enjoyed the NEK shots – the colors are well on their way up there as one would expect for this time of year.

if it does snow, there better be some pics from the usual suspects as I am out of town, even the thought of missing the first snow makes me tear up a bit.

So far the snow sounds a lot like what we saw during the mid-month episode, but BTV is certainly mentioning the possibility in their forecast discussion:

LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

AS OF 434 AM EDT TUESDAY...COLDER AIR WILL ALSO BE MOVING IN AND WE WILL TRANSITION FROM SEVERAL DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL ON FRIDAY TO SEVERAL DEGREES BELOW NORMAL ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. THE SHOWERS WILL COME TO AN END SATURDAY NIGHT JUST AS THE COLDER AIR ALOFT MOVES IN...THUS WE COULD SEE SOME SNOW SHOWERS OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN BEFORE PRECIPITATION COMES TO AN END.

thanks. gonna try and spend some time behind Bolton this year, some nice lookin woods there.

PF nipped us, 46F, a little more valley fog but just another ho hum spectacular sunrise, heavy on the peach tones this AM.

great night last night, had to scramble to get a few arrows slung as the sun is hiding behind the range noticeably earlier.

setting into another fall here in NNE, it always makes me wonder why I thought moving to Florida was ever a good idea. guess it really drives home what is so special about living here.

setting into another fall here in NNE, it always makes me wonder why I thought moving to Florida was ever a good idea. guess it really drives home what is so special about living here.

Ha-ha, Florida's ok to visit but that's about it...in my book anyway. Even visiting there is odd. It's like another planet. The 10,000 Islands and the Glades are cool from a naturalist perspective but the heat, stripmalls and retirement communities aren't my cup of tea. My parents now spend their winters down there--they love it but it just ain't my thing.

I bellyache from time to time about here, home, and get sick of things occasionally but whenever I travel somewhere else in the US, I realize just what a unique place NNE is and that I'm/we're lucky to live here and be able to make a go of it. I grew up here along the borders of VT & NH and have lived on both sides of the river--it'll always be home to me.

Ha-ha, Florida's ok to visit but that's about it...in my book anyway. Even visiting there is odd. It's like another planet. The 10,000 Islands and the Glades are cool from a naturalist perspective but the heat, stripmalls and retirement communities aren't my cup of tea. My parents now spend their winters down there--they love it but it just ain't my thing.

I bellyache from time to time about here, home, and get sick of things occasionally but whenever I travel somewhere else in the US, I realize just what a unique place NNE is and that I'm/we're lucky to live here and be able to make a go of it. I grew up here along the borders of VT & NH and have lived on both sides of the river--it'll always be home to me.

I enjoy the beaches in the Panhandle and try to visit them everytime I go down and visit the folks in SW GA. The Panhandle is different than the rest of FL but I still couldn't live there. Even though I was born down south, I have lived most of my life in central VT and am always glad to get back here. When my parents moved back down 13 or 14 years ago I contemplated moving too and my brother did. Since then, my parents have told me how glad that we were raised in VT and urged me to stay here when we had our son. I think if they could they would move back up here. VT and most of the rest of NNE are tough places to live in a lot of ways. You really have to want to live here. I can't think of living anywhere else.

Little warmer & murkier this morning than the past two. Had a shower overnight to the tune of 0.05"...

I enjoy the beaches in the Panhandle and try to visit them everytime I go down and visit the folks in SW GA. The Panhandle is different than the rest of FL but I still couldn't live there. Even though I was born down south, I have lived most of my life in central VT and am always glad to get back here. When my parents moved back down 13 or 14 years ago I contemplated moving too and my brother did. Since then, my parents have told me how glad that we were raised in VT and urged me to stay here when we had our son. I think if they could they would move back up here. VT and most of the rest of NNE are tough places to live in a lot of ways. You really have to want to live here. I can't think of living anywhere else.

Haven't been to the panhandle other than just traveling through on the interstate from New Orleans to Jacksonville--and I was pretty young when we did that trip. The only thing I remember is getting out of the car at a rest area, barefoot, and almost stepping on a scorpion, lol.

And yes, the limited economy here seems to have a selective effect on the populace--most folks who live here actually want to, if that makes any sense.

Low of 62F... a full +19F departure from normal. Wow, haha.

Looks like a big change coming this weekend though... chances for snow showers in the higher terrain!

First straight up "chance of snow" icons on the point 'n click forecast for Mount Mansfield (~3000ft grid point average):

Saturday: Scattered snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday Night: Scattered snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Low 50s this morning with mostly cloudy, after yesterday's nice and sunny 73/44. My 13-yr avg for 9/28 is 60/39, so the well above avg continues. Today will make 8 straight of at least +5, though I'm only about +1.5 for the month.

Leaves 1/3-1/2 colored IMBY, and the "early corner" (a moist site along a 90-degree sweeping curve on Route 2 just west of the blinker in New Sharon) is at full or even past full. It's usually 7-10 days ahead of the landscape in general, and has enough species diversity (birches, maples, aspen, fir) to be quite pretty.

From BTV AFD this afternoon

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

COLDER AIR ALOFT WILL MOVE IN ON SATURDAYAND IT APPEARS THAT SNOW LEVELS WILL LIKELY DROP TO AROUND 2000OR 2500 FEET LATER ON SATURDAY. THUS ANY SHOWERS IN THE MOUNTAINSWOULD BE IN THE FORM OF SNOW. HOWEVER...NO ACCUMULATIONS AREEXPECTED.

Nice to see this language staying in there.

Models have not been very consistant with the placement of that ULL, Still looks cold mid week next week on the Euro and GFS before we move back to seasonal levels..

The Euro is really cold for a few days. Lots of 40s/50s for highs. The GFS is a brief cool down mid week with quick WAA again by late week.

1.78" rain here. It's been pouring most of the day. I see Scott still beat me though...radar estimates confirm that.

On and off downpours--south to north. So much so that the satellite tv is frozen right up. The satellites themselves are in the southwestern sky and this often happens with heavy rains on such a trajectory. Absolutely pouring atm, as I type.

Haven't looked in the bucket since this morning but we'll be well over an inch and maybe approaching two.

Impressive looking line along the NH/ME border heading toward Jayhawk & Dryslot.

Impressive looking line along the NH/ME border heading toward Jayhawk & Dryslot.

You got that right. It was impeccable timing that had me leaving the kids' mother's house as that line hit. Unlit, unmarked, winding hilly roads at night with the wipers impotent at full song and approaching traffic is not my recipe of a pleasant spin home. Twice I put the right sides off the road - white knuckles!! Total deluge there for a while.

You got that right. It was impeccable timing that had me leaving the kids' mother's house as that line hit. Unlit, unmarked, winding hilly roads at night with the wipers impotent at full song and approaching traffic is not my recipe of a pleasant spin home. Twice I put the right sides off the road - white knuckles!! Total deluge there for a while.

Sounds like fun and sounds familiar--never any fun with oncoming headlights searing into your eyes, dark roads, pouring... Hope the kids weren't hollaring away. ;)

Anyhoo, picked up 1.35" yesterday/last night.

On and off downpours--south to north. So much so that the satellite tv is frozen right up. The satellites themselves are in the southwestern sky and this often happens with heavy rains on such a trajectory. Absolutely pouring atm, as I type.

Haven't looked in the bucket since this morning but we'll be well over an inch and maybe approaching two.

Was inside the bowling center when that line came thru last night, A couple guys had gone out to smoke and came back in soaked...

Archived