joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody else with a bird feeder suffer a total mass exodus lately?

I used to have about a dozen resident chickadees and gold finches, and a half dozen each of purple finches, house finches, titmice, sparrows and nuthatches. Every single living thing with wings seemed to suddenly disappear last Sunday evening. They've never left like this before. :(

High of 61F today... so the high/low is 61/32. Perfect early fall day.

BTV forecasting another cold night here... they've got 31F for MVL so we'll probably be close to last night's 32F low. Hopefully I have to defrost the windshields again.

It would be nice to get below 31.5F so I could officially record it as a true, sub-freezing low. We'll see. Big gradient forecast with the lake keeping BTV in the 40s while the interior drops to near freezing.

No frost this morning. Not even close, really.

Cloudiness kept it milder--sitting at 42F at the moment. Guess I'll go pull the tarps. ;)

Ditto... low of 40F with dense fog. Not even close to the 31F progged. I thought my thermometer was wrong when I woke up and saw it sitting at 41F... I was expecting 10F less. We got down to 40F and then just held there... rising to 41F then back to 40F for hours on end.

ASOS Lows:

BTV... 44F

MVL... 40F

MPV... 43F

I used to have about a dozen resident chickadees and gold finches, and a half dozen each of purple finches, house finches, titmice, sparrows and nuthatches. Every single living thing with wings seemed to suddenly disappear last Sunday evening. They've never left like this before. :(

YES! Seems to happen every year here. Right around labor day I go from refilling the feeder daily to no birds at all.

The only theory I have is that some natural forage becomes available locally and they start feeding on that but once they leave they are gone until spring. Yet, friends of mine have them on the feeders all through the fall and winter.

YES! Seems to happen every year here. Right around labor day I go from refilling the feeder daily to no birds at all.

The only theory I have is that some natural forage becomes available locally and they start feeding on that but once they leave they are gone until spring. Yet, friends of mine have them on the feeders all through the fall and winter.

Crows and blue jays are making up for them. Nasty things

I thought they were more than $8 a pop...

At Fenway some are in the $10 range. They pay something like $0.30 for the suds...

The last time i was down (2 yrs ago) they were $8.00, Usually get lubed pretty good in the parking lot and only have to buy a couple in the stadium, Plenty people pay it..

We avoided getting any frost at the house. 34 on Sat am, 44 Sunday and 40 this morning. I did see frost at the Peacham/ Danvill border this morning but nothing near the house. I slept in until 8 on Saturday so who knows if there was some closer that was gone by the time I stirred. Beautiful afternoons over the weekend and picked a bunch of apples from our big, old tree yesterday. I don't have a picker so I put a children's rake into the end of two of the poles from my roof rake. The trick was then catching the apples as they fell. I managed to only get hit on the head once.

We were at 36.3° when I got up at 6:15 a.m. no frost and a little fog. We may have had a touch of frost Saturday morning but I'm not sure, there was a little fog, which may have kept us from getting too frosty.

We rarely get the morning fog here at the house--once in a while, but not often. I drive into it on my way to work though. On frosty mornings above the fog, the frost stops once I'm into the fog. There's sometimes a little overlap but usually it's either frost or fog.

Later in the fall though it doesn't matter any more--fog and frost all at the same time.

Here's some fog frost from late October of 2009 in Thetford, VT:

4046922367_c3aaebd754_z.jpg

And again in November of 09 in Bradford, VT (posted this one before...):

4115616749_92dc0434c5_z.jpg

I meant to reply to you earlier, but I noticed quite an exodus as well.

Min was 37.0F this morning followed by a max of 64.2F. This is now the 5th straight day with 11.0 or greater HDD. The last consecutive stretch I've had that long ended on 4/26.

Low of 36F here this morning... Emily's Bridge weather station in Stowe (950ft) hit 35F. No frost that I could tell at 7am here, but it did look like there was some frost in the fields a little further up the road (near 1,000ft)... then it looked like no frost again further up the road towards the base of the ski resort at 1,500ft. In fact, my vehicles thermometer went from mid 30s down in the flats of the mountain road (750ft-1,000ft) to low/mid 40s up near the ski resort. Definitely a nice inversion between town and mountain today.

So the last 3 mornings have been... 32F, 40F, 36F

Spent the weekend in the ADK- Can def. confirm that it was cold in the mornings. KSLK fell into the high 20s friday night and around 32 saturday night. Sunday morning I went for a swim in mirror lake. Lake temp 68, air temp- 40. It was a wake up.

Sadly the next two weeks don't look as nice. Unless I'm reading it wrong the GFS really wants to cut off a low in the Great lakes leading to a messy southern flow, clouds and rain. EWWWW>

No frost yet IMBY, and if today's gfs runs verify, it would make this my first year without a frost in Sept. How we missed Saturday morning I don't know, as it was 38/39 and clear (and seemingly calm) at 11 PM Friday. Only Maine stations at 32 or lower were SFM (right at 32) and IZG at 30. Northern Maine stayed mostly near 40. Must've had some breezes stirring around. I did see some frost damage on knotweed on the outskirts of Farmington.

Here are my highs/lows Fri-Mon:

F...55/37

S...61/36

S...63/34

M...63/33

Today was upper 30s at 4 AM before the clouds rolled in - I think this is the first time I've recorded 5 consecutive Sept mornings in the 30s since leaving Ft. Kent.

No frost yet IMBY, and if today's gfs runs verify, it would make this my first year without a frost in Sept. How we missed Saturday morning I don't know, as it was 38/39 and clear (and seemingly calm) at 11 PM Friday. Only Maine stations at 32 or lower were SFM (right at 32) and IZG at 30. Northern Maine stayed mostly near 40. Must've had some breezes stirring around. I did see some frost damage on knotweed on the outskirts of Farmington.

Here are my highs/lows Fri-Mon:

F...55/37

S...61/36

S...63/34

M...63/33

Today was upper 30s at 4 AM before the clouds rolled in - I think this is the first time I've recorded 5 consecutive Sept mornings in the 30s since leaving Ft. Kent.

Wow, you've had 5 mornings in a row in the 30s and not one of them produced a frost? Even the 33-34F lows? We only had 2 mornings in the 30s here but Saturday morning's 32F had a hard frost on everything from grass to cars to building roof-tops. Stops your heart a little bit when you see black roofs painted white like a dusting of snow. Snow can't come soon enough.

Today was a dreary day. Spent most of it at the top of the ski area where it was in the 40s with fog, mist, and upslope-like sheet drizzle (very fine droplets). Pretty chilly and damp up there with a steady 15-25mph breeze, too. Doesn't look like we got much rain, I doubt we picked up more than maybe a quarter to a third of an inch on the mountain.

Now down in town its very small droplet rain-showers... seems very much like orographic precipitation. You can see the mist and rain obscuring the mountains and rolling in towards town before dissipating on the east side of town. Very much like upslope snow in the summer. Been doing this off and on all day, even though radar doesn't look impressive at all, its raining decently all the sudden. Can't wait for these to be periods of snow showers all day long with a few fluffy inches, just need to lose 30 degrees.

Wow, you've had 5 mornings in a row in the 30s and not one of them produced a frost? Even the 33-34F lows? We only had 2 mornings in the 30s here but Saturday morning's 32F had a hard frost on everything from grass to cars to building roof-tops. Stops your heart a little bit when you see black roofs painted white like a dusting of snow. Snow can't come soon enough.

I'm in a cold pocket, so there usually won't be nearby frost without the dew on my tan pickup being frozen; hasn't happened yet. The hanging tomato plants did get to sleep for two nights suspended from the cabin's collar beams, unnecessarily.

Archived