joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much appreciated. Most other bookmarks you can find by searching online... these little nuggets are very hard to find though without help.

No problem and I hear ya, I can't believe how many great links I now have because of this site. I also think a great idea to one place where everyone can share what links they have.

I just checked in at the BTV NWS site, and not surprisingly with tonight’s anticipated low temperatures, the entire state is under freeze warnings or frost advisories. I’ve added some of their latest graphics below. Assuming we run similarly to MPV and MVL climatology at our location, this would certainly be on the early side of average (10th to 25th percentile) based on BTV’s Seasonal First 32 F Temperature plot shown by Powderfreak yesterday. Our actual point forecast is currently calling for a low of 33 F, and we usually don’t quite hit the number they suggest at our location (perhaps because we are right down by the Winooski), so I’d be surprised if we got too much frost. It’s certainly a sign of the changing seasons to see so much blue on the BTV advisories map.

16SEP11A.jpg

16SEP11B.jpg

43F/38F here too Dendrite... low was 39F last night. My first official 39F of the season.

It looks like we cleared out briefly and dropped to 39F just after midnight last night, but thick clouds are back and the temp came back up.

Summit is 32F, so I'm on the lookout for rime. Can't see anything thanks to a low ceiling right now... orographic looking clouds billowing off the Spine. Hopefully they lift to give a view of the ridgeline.

23F on MWN!!

I guess its time to pick the rest of the tomatoes....

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

306 AM EDT FRI SEP 16 2011

...FREEZE EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT IN NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND

NORTHWEST MAINE...

.A COLD ARCTIC AIR MASS IS MOVING INTO NEW ENGLAND TODAY BEHIND A

COLD FRONT AND TEMPERATURES WILL BE MUCH COOLER THAN EARLIER IN

THE WEEK. BY TONIGHT...HIGH PRESSURE WILL BE CENTERED OVER THE AREA

WITH LIGHT WINDS AND CLEAR SKIES SETTING THE STAGE FOR UNUSUALLY

COLD TEMPERATURES. TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW FREEZING

ESPECIALLY IN VALLEY LOCATIONS IN THE MOUNTAINS OF MAINE AND NEW

HAMPSHIRE. FARTHER SOUTH TEMPERATURES RANGING THROUGH THE 30S WILL

RESULT IN AREAS OF FROST. COASTAL LOCATIONS SHOULD ONLY DROP TO

NEAR 40 BUT A FEW LOW LYING AREAS COULD SEE SOME LIGHT PATCHY

FROST.

MEZ012>014-018>022-NHZ005>010-013-161515-

/O.NEW.KGYX.FR.Y.0003.110917T0500Z-110917T1200Z/

SOUTHERN OXFORD-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-SOUTHERN SOMERSET-INTERIOR YORK-

INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-INTERIOR WALDO-

SOUTHERN GRAFTON-SOUTHERN CARROLL-SULLIVAN-MERRIMACK-BELKNAP-

STRAFFORD-INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...RUMFORD...NORWAY...FRYEBURG...OXFORD...

FARMINGTON...WILTON...MADISON...SKOWHEGAN...PITTSFIELD...

SANFORD...BERWICK...NORTH WINDHAM...GORHAM...BRIDGTON...

LEWISTON-AUBURN...LIVERMORE FALLS...AUGUSTA...WATERVILLE...

WINTERPORT...UNITY...LEBANON...HANOVER...PLYMOUTH...WOLFEBORO...

OSSIPEE...CLAREMONT...NEWPORT...CHARLESTOWN...CONCORD...

HOOKSETT...LACONIA...MEREDITH...ROCHESTER...DOVER...SALEM...

DERRY...EXETER

306 AM EDT FRI SEP 16 2011

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 8 AM EDT SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A FROST

ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 8 AM EDT SATURDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE 30S.

* TIMING...TEMPERATURES WILL FALL INTO THE LOWER TO MID 30S AFTER

MIDNIGHT.

* IMPACTS...AREAS OF FROST WILL LIKELY HARM ANY UNPROTECTED PLANTS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR

PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT OUTSIDE AND UNCOVERED.

42.4 was the low last night. I had covered the vegetables just in case but we in turned out just to be a good trial run for the tarps. The wind managed to take two of the tarps off enough that they would have been useless. Not a huge concern though as the wind should be less of an issue the next couple of nights. What will be interesting is the observatory across the road from me has a weather station that has just come online and is up on weatherunderground. I now can track the accuracy of my temps a little more as I have always felt my thermometer runs about 2 degrees warm.

Coles Pond Vermont is 38F at 10am. Looks like trees are really begining to change up at 2000 feet. Webcam should look very different tomorrow, those gardens are not going to fair well tonight.

I see its snowing on MWN. On their webcam site they changed the ravine view. The ravine view is taken from a cam on top of Wildcat and now you can see the ground in front of the cam. Its a great referance to see if its snowing at 4000 feet or if it is sticking on the ground. This morning there apprears to be no rime at that level.

Gene

Had 0.44" at my place yesterday, but none of the crackling-good thunder I heard in AUG - the jackpot appears to be Dresden, 15 miles south of AUG, with 1.7". Down to 40 or a tad below this morning, and I'm stripping the garden this afternoon, except for the two upside-down tomatos which will sleep inside the next two nights - hope the woodstove doesn't dry them out too much.

Our church teen group is climbing Tumbledown Mt (15 miles NW of Farmington, 3,068') tomorrow. I'm glad (and they should be, too) it's not today, because it's probably about 40 up there right now with winds gusting 40 as well. They ought to have 100+ mile visibility tomorrow, MWN snowcap to blue water. Some spots of color, too - the early stress-related changes are promisingly (is that a word?) bright.

Had 0.44" at my place yesterday, but none of the crackling-good thunder I heard in AUG - the jackpot appears to be Dresden, 15 miles south of AUG, with 1.7". Down to 40 or a tad below this morning, and I'm stripping the garden this afternoon, except for the two upside-down tomatos which will sleep inside the next two nights - hope the woodstove doesn't dry them out too much.

Our church teen group is climbing Tumbledown Mt (15 miles NW of Farmington, 3,068') tomorrow. I'm glad (and they should be, too) it's not today, because it's probably about 40 up there right now with winds gusting 40 as well. They ought to have 100+ mile visibility tomorrow, MWN snowcap to blue water. Some spots of color, too - the early stress-related changes are promisingly (is that a word?) bright.

Over in Weld, Use to party up there on the mtn in my younger years.... :drunk:

I'll have a look at Moosilauke (4810') this afternoon on my ride home--if the summit is cleared off, might see some rime there too....

I had covered the vegetables just in case but we in turned out just to be a good trial run for the tarps.

Ayup, I'll be coverin' things up tonight myself. Didn't bother though last night as it was cloudy, drizzly & breezy when I hit the sack.

The wife is out of town and called this morning with explicit orders to cover the garden, lol.

Aye-aye, hun! ;)

I'll have a look at Moosilauke (4810') this afternoon on my ride home--if the summit is cleared off, might see some rime there too....

Ayup, I'll be coverin' things up tonight myself. Didn't bother though last night as it was cloudy, drizzly & breezy when I hit the sack.

The wife is out of town and called this morning with explicit orders to cover the garden, lol.

Aye-aye, hun! ;)

Tell her to get back home and get it covered, I would say i have more importnat things to do like go golfing and then out to have a couple of drinks after with the guys, We all talk when they are not around to hear it ........lol

Little longer wait for you Jay down that way...... :lol:

Its depressing, but I'll happily take my low of 47 from last night after 90+ for two straight months. I'm going to miss those sunny days when its plain cold and the road is loaded up with salt and the snowpack is high.. just cruising down the road enjoying the scenery.. bleh

Its depressing, but I'll happily take my low of 47 from last night after 90+ for two straight months. I'm going to miss those sunny days when its plain cold and the road is loaded up with salt and the snowpack is high.. just cruising down the road enjoying the scenery.. bleh

I don't know if i could handle a year round boring stetch of weather like we had over the last few months, I would definitly miss the snow without a doubt..

56.5F right now off of a high of 59.3F...the first 50s for highs this season. Both sets of MOS have 32F for CON tomorrow morning and 36F for LCI. With the high sitting right over us around sunrise I should decouple enough to fall somewhere between those two. I'll guess I end up with a low of 34F while the bottom of the hill is a frosty 32F.

Nice to see the snow on Cannon. :snowman:

Archived