• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

For the past few days our NWS point forecast has had sub-freezing low temperatures for the end of the week, and I noticed that Dryslot pointed out the potential snow showers and frost in Portland’s forecast. This morning I saw that adk has a cold weather update at the FIS site, and on SkiVT-L, there was a visit from Roger Hill, who threw out the potential for a little snow accumulation at Jay Peak. I figured I would pass the info on for those that hadn’t heard; it’s kind of nice to have so much cold weather-related stuff to look at already.

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the past few days our NWS point forecast has had sub-freezing low temperatures for the end of the week, and I noticed that Dryslot pointed out the potential snow showers and frost in Portland’s forecast. This morning I saw that adk has a cold weather update at the FIS site, and on SkiVT-L, there was a visit from Roger Hill, who threw out the potential for a little snow accumulation at Jay Peak. I figured I would pass the info on for those that hadn’t heard; it’s kind of nice to have so much cold weather-related stuff to look at already.

Thanks for the update, J.Spin. My laptop bit the dust so I'm out of the loop... just checked our NWS forecast and am seeing :

Thursday Night...35F

Friday Night... 30F

Saturday Night... 33F

12pm and it's 64.3F with partly sunny skies. After a couple of warm days will be back to a few days of chill. Then we'll be pushing astrological fall and the norms will be on the tumble. By 9/24 CON's norm max/min is down to 69/44.

Its also the countdown to when the bug freezes and stops crawling in your sig... :lol:

I think alot of us here and NNE are going to get our 1st taste of whats to come this weekend... :sun:

I think alot of us here and NNE are going to get our 1st taste of whats to come this weekend... :sun:

I'm banking on at least some rime on the trees up at 4,000ft... highs only in the 30s for the upper mountain of the ski resort later this week. Maybe MWN holds near freezing for an afternoon being 2,000ft higher than our summits in VT.

I could definitely go for looking out my window on Friday morning to a white coat of rime at the summit ridge.

How much longer until you reactivate the SV subscription?

I may have to delay my Saturday morning paddle. I like to get there around 7:00 ... might be a tad nipply until the sun gets higher.

Done at the beginning of Sept, I have been following the Euro for a couple of weeks as it had hinted along with the GFS of this upcoming airmass, Obviously had more confidence with the Euro on it........ ;)

12z nam has some impressive for this time of year H85 temps of -4c over most of ME/NH/VT with -8 c over far NW Maine, It also shows 2-4" of snow over NW Maine as well, That may be a little extreme........... :lol:

Extreme but not unknown. Earliest snow (other than some slushy drops during instability showers, late August 1982) was 9/14/77, toward the tail end of a northeast storm. Only saw slushy drops at my (then) BY at about 525', but places above 1,000' had 1-2", enough to lay leaf-on saplings across the woods roads. In 1991 that area had an almost all-snow event 9/29-30, that dropped 2.5" at CAR and up to 6" in the Allagash.

Extreme but not unknown. Earliest snow (other than some slushy drops during instability showers, late August 1982) was 9/14/77, toward the tail end of a northeast storm. Only saw slushy drops at my (then) BY at about 525', but places above 1,000' had 1-2", enough to lay leaf-on saplings across the woods roads. In 1991 that area had an almost all-snow event 9/29-30, that dropped 2.5" at CAR and up to 6" in the Allagash.

I could see it snowing above 1,000' as temps may support it but it would have to be i would think some upsloping with the fropa, Certainly not out of the question..

I could see it snowing above 1,000' as temps may support it but it would have to be i would think some upsloping with the fropa, Certainly not out of the question..

There will be a shot at some flakes above 3000 feet in upslope areas this weekend...not sure how much moisture is going to be leftover though. Euro isn't all that bullish on bringing int he cold while the synoptic scale precip shield is still there.

There will be a shot at some flakes above 3000 feet in upslope areas this weekend...not sure how much moisture is going to be leftover though. Euro isn't all that bullish on bringing int he cold while the synoptic scale precip shield is still there.

Nice, Will. There's always the chance it seems at least across the upslope summits when NW flow brings in cold air this time of year. Always seems to be some decent lapse rates this time of year between SFC and H85.

I

Nice, Will. There's always the chance it seems at least across the upslope summits when NW flow brings in cold air this time of year. Always seems to be some decent lapse rates this time of year between SFC and H85.

I could see a few flurries or snow showers up on the highest peaks there in NNE. But given that the mid-level ridging builds in very quickly, moisture will be quite limited. Lapse rates should help squeeze out a couple flakes though.

Saw that at 12z on the euro, But i had based it off what the 12z nam had shown, It looked like it got the cold air in before all the moisture was thru in NW Maine

Looks like one of those strikes was a hit on a tree in my back yard

lightning1.jpg

Bark was ejected up to 30' or so away

ligntning_splinters.jpg

wub.gif

Does anyone have a guess as to how damaged that tree is? Does it need to be removed or will it recover?

My guess would be that is up to you, We had one get hit at our golf course 2 yrs ago, It is still standing but half of 1 side is dead...

Archived