Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking to myself today, it seems. ;)

Fog finally lifted and had a lovely afternoon around here. Next up, a rainy stretch.

Anyone else think that the foliage season is getting off to a lackluster start? I don't think it's going to be one out banner years, that's for sure.

Fungus on the maples from what I hear....

A lot of that in this thread....... :(

Fog finally lifted and had a lovely afternoon around here. Next up, a rainy stretch.

Anyone else think that the foliage season is getting off to a lackluster start? I don't think it's going to be one out banner years, that's for sure.

Not much to report. It was a very nice afternoon, I left work early to mow my lawn as the forecast dosen't look to good for that over the next several days. Hoping we can avoid big rain here in VT though. I agree that foiliage season is off to a weak start, though it seems that I think that every year and then all of a sudden BAM! it seems to turn overnight. Have not heard about the fungus theory.

I echo your thoughts on the foliage. Lots of hues between yellow and brown, but little red and orange. Maybe it'll pick up.

Roughly 0.25" has fallen so far. Nice morning.

chinook winds stripping leaves off the crabapple tree this AM. Red sky morning.

a pic from yesterday's ride to work, continuing with the fog theme, I'm second your report Allenson, it was pretty moist about 200' from where this pic was taken, looking at Bear Mt, and Owls Head to the right.

dull or bright foliage, the air, the energy, buttoning up the house for winter, bonfires where one side of you gets cold as the other warms

autumn is still my favorite part of the year here in NNE.

IMG_2572.jpg

Yesterday made 6 straight mornings in the 30s, though barely (70/39). Low-mid 50s for today's low, so the streak is done, and unlikely for any more before about 9/30 or 10/1. Couple of moderate showers here in AUG, but judging by radar I doubt MBY has gotten more than a couple cents - it's all sliding by to the south.

Red maples in the swamps are nicely colored in the foothills, as are the early stress-related changes. I'm guessing we have decent colors overall, maybe not quite as good as last year but worlds better than the 2005 disaster - the year without red. Between the muted colors and the Columbus Day weekend storm taking 3/4 of the leaves around MBY, that fall set the standard for ugly.

Yesterday made 6 straight mornings in the 30s, though barely (70/39). Low-mid 50s for today's low, so the streak is done, and unlikely for any more before about 9/30 or 10/1. Couple of moderate showers here in AUG, but judging by radar I doubt MBY has gotten more than a couple cents - it's all sliding by to the south.

Red maples in the swamps are nicely colored in the foothills, as are the early stress-related changes. I'm guessing we have decent colors overall, maybe not quite as good as last year but worlds better than the 2005 disaster - the year without red. Between the muted colors and the Columbus Day weekend storm taking 3/4 of the leaves around MBY, that fall set the standard for ugly.

Any frost on any of those days?, Looking ahead it does seem like your streak will end as there really is nothing in the long range until you get out to fantasy land on the GFS which has another cold shot out @ 384 hrs, But we all know how that is..

How are people's apple trees doing? I've lived in my current location for 12 years and have never had so many apples, there are a lot of big ones too.

They are a little late here and they are on the small side, We lacked the precip this summer that everyone else had, But i will trade it off for the snow this winter..

Any frost on any of those days?, Looking ahead it does seem like your streak will end as there really is nothing in the long range until you get out to fantasy land on the GFS which has another cold shot out @ 384 hrs, But we all know how that is..

Nope, though I had mornings at 34 and 33. Nearest frost damage I saw was a couple miles out of the built-up part of Farmington, on some knotweed. The real surprise was Sat morning's 36, because it had been down to 39 by 11 the previous evening.

Best crop on my three apple trees since 2007, though that's not saying too much. Deer ate all the buds in March 2008 and 22F in mid May killed the blossoms last year. 2009 was fair and this year is fair-plus. Decent (not bumper) crop on the haralred, which needs several frosts to sweeten, and low/medium on the ultramac, which is just getting good now. The one plus is that the empire, the largest and nicest looking of the three by far, has a half dozen or so nice fat fruit, after three years of unproductive blossoms (and not even blossoms before that.) The big old, unmanaged trees up the road are really loaded; one broke in the strong TS a week after Irene and nearly covered the road with fruit dislodged by the fall.

How are people's apple trees doing? I've lived in my current location for 12 years and have never had so many apples, there are a lot of big ones too.

I went apple picking last Saturday (we go to the same place at about the same time of year annually) and I've never seen the apples so small with so many on the ground before. I have pear trees in my yard and those are doing fine. The deer have been having a feast on them for the last 3-4 weeks.

I went apple picking last Saturday (we go to the same place at about the same time of year annually) and I've never seen the apples so small with so many on the ground before. I have pear trees in my yard and those are doing fine. The deer have been having a feast on them for the last 3-4 weeks.

My apple orchard is absolutely loaded with big fruit. So many apples on the trees that one of the trees split last week! Tons of Concord grapes too!

I've noticed quite a few bright reds and oranges around here in the last 2 days...even away from watery areas.

Yeah, its starting to pick up now... color has definitely increased a lot over the past few days since the first 32F reading. We had a lot of browns and dull yellows but then we had that cold snap and now we are seeing the reds, oranges, and brighter yellows starting to take shape. Looks pretty good out there and I'm sure it'll go real fast now. Peak probably can't be all that far off... 7-14 days I would think.

I've noticed quite a few bright reds and oranges around here in the last 2 days...even away from watery areas.

lol ... I came here just to recant my earlier post. Whilst driving around the area today I noticed how much more colorful it is - the ex-in-laws also mentioned it during my visit. I guess the maples are beginning to pull their weight.

Murk & mire. More fog, all is dank and a-drip. Great weather for slugs & snails.

Agree with others though in that the foliage has taken a step in the more colorful direction just in the past couple days.

Winter can't come soon enough... this weather is incredibly boring, haha. At least its time to get stuff done before winter model watching and skiing.

Not very conducive to getting firewood in though--soggy ground, wet slippery wood, blah. But yeah, sure could use a change of airmass anyway. Not looking like it'll be anytime soon either. :arrowhead:

Archived