• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

Another lovely day out there, gents. Not the deluge that SE NH is currently enduring but damp and drizzley once again. I actually saw stars last night though--cleared off for a while and dropped down into the mid-40s

At least the end is in sight now. :thumbsup:

It is, And some colder temps over the next few days before we get back into WAA...

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some showers finally starting to make it in here from the great yonder atmospheric swirl. Coming in from the north-northeast, the heaviest batch looking to pass east of here. Otherwise, it's actually been a relatively decent day here.

It is, And some colder temps over the next few days before we get back into WAA...

Some cool dry air will feel very nice I say, if even for only a few days.

Wow this storm was certainly a big underperformer here. Maybe .05" or so. Just a few scattered light showers enough to wet the ground but that is it! Not much to our north or northeast right now. Weather is amazing. NE Mass gets 5" and I get almost nothing! Not complaining. Now I would like to see a nice hard freeze/frosts and then a long period of light wind and calm conditions to really bring the colors to a peak. So far dull color with falling leaves as soon as they start to turn.

Some showers finally starting to make it in here from the great yonder atmospheric swirl. Coming in from the north-northeast, the heaviest batch looking to pass east of here. Otherwise, it's actually been a relatively decent day here.

Some cool dry air will feel very nice I say, if even for only a few days.

Ayup, not much rain here on Montpelier today. There were even a few breaks in the clouds earlier. Looking forward to a hard enough frost to stop the grass from growing.

Went to Fryeburg Fair yesterday afternoon. Rain on the drive and for the first five minutes after arrival, but then the gods smiled upon us and the rains stopped for our entire visit. That's the good news. The bad news is that the kids-ride-for-one-price promotion was canceled due to weather (why??) so for the princely sum of $25 our two each got to ride five rides. Other than that, nice day at the fair. :thumbsup:

I am down in Woodstock, CT for the week... last chance to get out of Stowe for about 7 months, haha. Once November 1 rolls around, its full-on until the end of April at the ski resort.

Anyway, it looks like a cold couple of nights coming up back home... mid to upper 20s tonight in the zone forecast for home. Looks like BTV has 26F at MVL and Stowe village is usually within a degree or so of the ASOS.

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MASSENA...MALONE...PLATTSBURGH... PORT HENRY...TICONDEROGA...OGDENSBURG...POTSDAM...GOUVERNEUR... ST. ALBANS...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...STOWE...MONTPELIER... MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...RUTLAND... SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD... UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD...KILLINGTON 

434 AM EDT WED OCT 5 2011  ...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM EDT THURSDAY...  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A FREEZE WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM EDT THURSDAY.   

* LOCATIONS...ALL OF VERMONT...EXCEPT CALEDONIA...ESSEX...GRAND   ISLE AND ORLEANS COUNTIES. THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY IN NORTHERN   NEW YORK. 

* HAZARDS...WIDESPREAD FROST AND BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES. 

* TEMPERATURES...MAINLY IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S. 

* TIMING...FROM AROUND MIDNIGHT TONIGHT THROUGH 8 AM EDT   THURSDAY.  * IMPACTS...WIDESPREAD FREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL BRING AN END TO   THE GROWING SEASON FOR ANY UNPROTECTED PLANTS OR VEGETATION.

Cold day at the ski resort... wish I was up there enjoying the chilly weather. Currently at the top of Mansfield its 36F with winds of 25G48. Mid 30s with gusts to near 50mph is a nice early October day!

Well, had one more passing batch of drizzle, just for good measure about mid-morning but since then skyies have been gradually clearning--aboput 50/50 now--and temps in the low/mid 50s.

A huge improvement.

After the next couple of nights we may have to hold a service for dendrites bug...

Squashed.

After the next couple of nights we may have to hold a service for dendrites bug...

Now that he knows it annoys everyone what are the chances hes gonna get rid of it now lol. Its only tricked me a couple times and only when all the lights were off but the laptop screen.

Got up to 62 here today but feels a little cooler with the frequent gusty winds. Definitely feeling more typical of fall now that the deluge is over. The pond on my property looks more like it does after the winter snowpack melts off than is typical for early fall. It's the highest I've seen since moving in.

What's the RVR??? LOL

That's pretty cool. You're really into that stuff.

Yeah...my hope is to MacGyver myself an ASOS with a Davis and hobby sensors. lol

I have the IR sensor mounted outside tonight and I'll keep it there through tomorrow since there is no chance of rain. With clear skies right now I have a 2m temp of 46F and an IR sky temp of -32C (-26F). So I'm getting a solid 70F+ deltaT between the two. Based on forecast soundings for here that's around the 400-450mb level. Once I finally get the data working into my PERL script I can start playing with algorithms.

When I left the house this morning around 6:00 A.M., the temperature was 33.4 F, and that was also the lowest recorded for the overnight on the memory thermometer. I didn’t see any frost in the yard when I was out checking the rain gauge, so I’d say the Winooski probably helped out a bit in protection as it often seems to do. Roger Hill indicated that he had a temperature of 38 F at his place when he was giving his 6:15 A.M. forecast, although as I recall he lives up pretty high on a hill.

first under 30F for the fall, made it 28F, hoping for 1 last mow this weekend, fingers crossed. sat in a tree last night thinking, couple backyard obs.

1. strange this year, some trees haven't gone to color, some are full on, and a lot seem to have gone right to full drop

2. is it possible the chipmunk that kept barking at me from 10" away was alerting the deer? and do chipmunks taste good?

3. sitting in a tree on the edge of a field in N VT, while extremely the opposite, has as much sensory impact as watching people fight for a spot on a Manhattan bound express subway car in Queens

end ramblings

the range is lookin quite beautiful this AM, anyone considering a foliage drive should do it now IMO (although I never really understood driving around to see foliage)

Archived