• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Hurricane Irene and the mid-Atlantic (Pre-game show)

Ian

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The response 3 minutes ago with tons of images suggests planning and that wtrix probably was right and he was a troll. That said, no one should entertain driving into the storm even if they were staying in hotel. The emergency response teams will be busy enough if the forecasts pan out.

I still have my ass, attached in its usual place.

and you're just another boring troll. no one could be so dumb as to actually attempt what you proposed.

Actually troll I have chased hurricanes for the past 10 years, there are plenty of people who do it. There has just not been something this strong before, why would you attack someone who was just asking questions? That makes YOU the troll (might wanna look up the term-it's used way to much on the net these days), not me. I did nothing wrong and I don't appreciate being attacked for it. You all have some issues for sure... So again **** you!

Nothing much different from whats posted here. Storm surge of 3-5 feet expected both sides of the bay. Rainfall of 3-6" for Baltimore Washington. Winds 50-60 MPH for areas South and East of 95. Start time is around Saturday evening.

Did you overhear anything else while you were cleaning the toilets?

It will be the entire bay and worst on the western shore given the forecast track. Winds are going to howl from the SE - NE during the peak. It's going to stack up a lot of water on the western side.

Isabel had sustained 50-55kt winds. If the current forecast track is right, the bay can easily have hurricane force winds this time. Insurance companies are in for a massive bill.

I really doubt that's the case... Isabel was close to as good a track as you can get to have hurricane-forced winds into the bay...didn't manage it. 1933 didn't manage it. Connie didn't do it either. Hazel did, but that was as an extratropical storm already.

For storms that go east of us, look to Floyd for a comparison... Irene is forecasted to hit NC at a similar strength and size, albeit traveling over less land. Floyd was terrible on the east coast from rain, but I think people hoping for/expecting a much windier outcome than what Floyd gave to the east coast are going to disappointed/surprised.

Sorry for the IMBY post, but I'm currently on vacation in the midwest, scheduled to come back Sunday night. I've got a crappy 9.6kbit internet connection here and no tv. Do I need to be thinking about coming home early to board up my house in Severn (just south of BWI). What are we looking at worst case in central MD? I'm not along the coast, 160' above sea level. I lived in moco during isabel, and nothing major happened.

Any thoughts on Cap weather preliminary forecast? Noticed in comments people are breathing sigh of relief, expecting it to be worst. Tough call though. Saturday-night Sunday could either be very nasty in DC, or, like a lot of hyped-up tropical system, breezy with a few showers.

My link

My cardinal rule for the drought area of Frederick: predicting low totals is always safe until proven otherwise. They say trace to half an inch total...I see no reason to disagree.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

306 PM EDT THU AUG 25 2011

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --IRENE WILL LIKELY IMPACT THE AREA SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY. IRENE IS

EXPECTED TO TRACK ALONG THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY

BEFORE MOVING OFF TO OUR NORTHEAST LATER SUNDAY. THE WORST

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING WITH

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS POSSIBLE FROM NEAR AND EAST OF THE I-95

CORRIDOR. HEAVY RAIN IS ALSO EXPECTED TO IMPACT THIS AREA AS

WELL. GUSTY WINDS ALONG WITH SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED ACROSS LOCATIONS

FURTHER WEST DURING THIS TIME. WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST

NHC FORECASTS. A SLIGHT CHANGE IN THE TRACK OF IRENE WILL HAVE A

SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THE FORECAST DURING THIS TIME.

HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD OVERHEAD BEHIND IRENE DURING THE EARLY AND

MIDDLE PORTIONS OF NEXT WEEK.-- End Changed Discussion --

Talking with someone who is not taking any of this seriously -- going camping in Warsaw, VA this Saturday and planning on driving home (to Baltimore area) at noon on Sunday. Any ideas what kind of wind/etc to expect at that point? Warsaw is right on the Ches Bay, it looks like. She's thinking it's basically going to be "driving in the rain". I don't want to scare her if that's the case, but it looks worse to me...?

Archived