joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moving to New England

nzucker

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on making the choice to move. Its a pretty good starting job it sounds like and even if you do not enjoy that much, it will be great experience for further down the road. We've already dicussed the improvement in winter climate you will see. You'll probably average more snow than any SNE poster. Quite an improvement from the lower Hudson. :thumbsup:

Congrats on making the choice to move. Its a pretty good starting job it sounds like and even if you do not enjoy that much, it will be great experience for further down the road. We've already dicussed the improvement in winter climate you will see. You'll probably average more snow than any SNE poster. Quite an improvement from the lower Hudson. :thumbsup:

I think I will really enjoy it too...I've found I've derived the most satisfaction from working with special-needs children during my time as a substitute, and I have a lot of latitude with curriculum planning, although as you may have read the lack of good Internet is a problem.

And yes the climate/landscape will be wonderful. I'm sick of the over-crowded streets of Westchester, ready to go back to living among mountains and farms as we had at Middlebury. Having to boast of all the snowfalls will be nice, unless we get a crap winter like 88-89. HM is making me question whether the Pacific is going to screw us this time around.

if you cannot get cable or dsl try the various 3g wireless providers.. in some places it's terrible, but in other often surprising places it's very good.. 4g should be much more available in a couple years too

Yeah, like at my house. When I walk the dog either way on my street I get great 3G service. I must be right in between two cell towers. Good thing I don't have to rely on just that alone.

I just made the move to New England as well. South Burlington, VT from Philly. You'll like it. But don't believe the hype. You need AC in the summer. Wasn't ready for that revelation.

Oh and the corn's not as sweet. Other than that....Rock out.

The sweetest corn is in SNE especially near the coast.

I'm going where the snow is. Can't wait to have a legitimate shot at getting near the century mark for snowfall this winter thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'll be working as a Spanish teacher at Hampshire Country School in Rindge, NH.

Congrats on the job! Look up 1999-00.....very good SSTA match for today's date vs the same time in '99 FWIW. I'm worried...

But congrats on the job.....it should be a great experience and there are lots of snow weenies in the general poplulace here. My experiences is that New Englanders complain but generally enjoy snow.

Haven't gotten the stuff yet but do know how to ski/snowshoe. I am really thinking Central New England sees a big winter. BIG BIG Winter!!

I go to lots of ski swaps in the fall. Tell me what you need and I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. Sometimes you can score great deals. You can't sit inside all Winter and just watch it pile up. You have to get out in it and really enjoy the beauty and excitement Winter provides. Man, can't wait.

I just made the move to New England as well. South Burlington, VT from Philly. You'll like it. But don't believe the hype. You need AC in the summer. Wasn't ready for that revelation.

Oh and the corn's not as sweet. Other than that....Rock out.

There's your problem...they are deceptively hot in the summer. They get their average high up around 82F. The Champlaign Valley can torch. I find I usually wish I had AC about 2-3 weeks out of the whole year. But normally just tough it out as the days are numbered. If you lived 500 or 800 feet up to the east in the hills, you'd probably agree that AC isn't a necessity. But I suppose some of it has to do with how tolerate you are of temps in the low/mid 80s.

There's your problem...they are deceptively hot in the summer. They get their average high up around 82F. The Champlaign Valley can torch. I find I usually wish I had AC about 2-3 weeks out of the whole year. But normally just tough it out as the days are numbered. If you lived 500 or 800 feet up to the east in the hills, you'd probably agree that AC isn't a necessity. But I suppose some of it has to do with how tolerate you are of temps in the low/mid 80s.

We have relatives who would summer in S VT (Dover/Mount Snow area) and the places they stayed in did not have AC. Boy did they need it at times.

Eateries/etc are largely non-air conditioned and this sometimes was nasty.

Having lived in both locations now, I absolutely agree, although for me it was never the daytime temperatures that were an issue, it was whether it cooled down at night for sleeping. I’ve noticed, and I think Powderfreak would agree, that the overnight lows seem to be the big difference between the Champlain Valley and the valley bottoms out here in the mountains to the east. Both our locations are pretty good examples of what Will is talking about because we’re at 500’ here in Waterbury, and Powderfreak is probably close to 800’ in Stowe. I can recall suffering through some pretty horrendous nights when we lived at our place on South Union Street in Burlington (for reference, we were at 230’ elevation in the hill section of town). How well one’s residence ventilates is of course a huge factor in evening comfort as well, but in the five years we’ve lived here in Waterbury I only know of one night that we haven’t dropped into the 60s F or lower, so with fans bringing in outside air, sleeping has never really been an issue here. Evening/overnight temperatures often seem to be 5 to 10 F lower out here than in the CPV, and even if the differential is smaller for daytime highs, the lower minima let one cool the house off at night, and if you have decent insulation you can just close it up and keep it cool on the few steamy days. Tonight looks like a typical example in progress, since as of 10:00 P.M. it’s 62 F here, and according to the data at the NWS web page, 62 F in MPV, and 62 F in MVL, but 67 F in BTV. When I even broach the topic of installing central air in the house as a potential resale investment etc., my wife gives me a hard time about it being such a waste because it’s just not needed. But indeed tolerance can be a factor in that as Will said. I’m not sure what Nate’s location will be like for temperatures, and how latitude, elevation, and local topography balance out, but for the Champlain Valley I agree with adk that A/C is reasonable. I spent quite a few summer nights in my parent’s room growing up in Shelburne (a couple towns south of Burlington) because they had the window air conditioner running and sleeping was just too uncomfortable without it. My parents put in central air in their place in South Burlington and they use it for those 2-3 weeks a year when it really makes a difference, so it seems practical for them.

Rindge is at 42.75 latitude and I'm at 42.732 latitude. Close enough. :thumbsup: I'll try to send a few errant lake effect streamers all the way across. LOL ...More likely we'll see a few over running events that get both of us and leave Kevin, etc. too far south.

Haven't gotten the stuff yet but do know how to ski/snowshoe. I am really thinking Central New England sees a big winter. BIG BIG Winter!!

I think one thing I'll be keeping is the NYC accent.

Thanks but no thanks.

I'd never change who you are. Tony Danza changed his accent 10 years ago and he's sounded like a fool ever since and he really hasn't worked. A critic once belittled Mike Francesa's accent and in vintage Francesa fashion he said "I wear my accent as a badge." Obviously I've never heard you speak but the New York accents are a lot less pronounced once you hit Westchester and you encounter all the overly articulate yuppies struggling to pronounce every R up there in suburbia. I have a combination of a New England/New York accent and the only word I make a conscious effort on is "better" because with me it always comes out sounding like bettah.

The Boston accent is not really tied to SW NH, or really any part of NH except maybe Nashua or SE NH. SW NH folk talk with a country-NE accent. Some of the kids and transplant city slickers might have a more "ah" accent, but it's not really that popular.

Yeah, the campus has a bunch of elevation, I think it's close to 1300'. According to Will, the snowfall average is probably around 82" per year.

What was Middlebury's average? 82" is BTV's average but you're snow retention is going to be world's better than anything the Champlain Valley can give. Not even close there in terms of snowpack building power.

I just looked up Rindge on a topographic map and that's absolutely sick as far as a SNE location goes... and by SNE I mean a spot within BOX's CWA. Its definitely CNE but I'm not sure where that line is drawn, lol. You're in the same league now as Jaffery and Peterborough, which get a lot of talk on here as the best locations in the SNE/CNE area for winter weather. I'd be so stoked to move from the Hudson Valley to a spot like that. Lots of 1,000-1,400 foot elevations and it doesn't even look like the town has much below 1,000ft. That has CAD written all over it. If there's a chance for SWFE and ice in this Nina, you're going to get crushed. Plus being at that elevation, you're snow year is going to start a lot sooner and end a lot later than anything you're used to. Congrat's dude... that's a huge upgrade in winter weather.

What was Middlebury's average? 82" is BTV's average but you're snow retention is going to be world's better than anything the Champlain Valley can give. Not even close there in terms of snowpack building power.

I just looked up Rindge on a topographic map and that's absolutely sick as far as a SNE location goes... and by SNE I mean a spot within BOX's CWA. Its definitely CNE but I'm not sure where that line is drawn, lol. Lots of 1,000-1,400 foot elevations and it doesn't even look like the town has much below 1,000ft. That has CAD written all over it. If there's a chance for SWFE and ice in this Nina, you're going to get crushed. Plus being at that elevation, you're snow year is going to start a lot sooner and end a lot later than anything you're used to. Congrat's dude... that's a huge upgrade in winter weather.

I think Middlebury averages a bit over 60" per year, although we had above average snowfall in my four years in college. So it's a significant upgrade in snowfall average, but as you say the most significant change will be the snowpack retention...The Champlain Valley can really torch on S/SW winds as warm air is advected up from the Hudson Valley, and enhanced by the downsloping component when you have any westerly flow off the Adirondacks. It's also easier to lose your snowpack on SW flow events because the Valley can change to rain if the easterly surface winds become too powerful with the downsloping from the nearby 4000' spine of the Green Mtns.

I'm getting a decent package to move there and am ready to start my career, so the snowfall is a great bonus feeling but of course not my primary motivation. But close, of course.

Bingo... BTV is hot in the summer. Last summer at my girlfriend's in burlington we would roast all night long. Its not uncommon to not get below the mid 70s in the downtown area during hot stretches. i would've killed for AC in that girl's apartment. Huge, huge difference being out here east of the Spine where you're located at 800-1000 feet of elevation but you're still in a valley surrounded by 3,000-4,000+ foot terrain. Just look at the average lows between BTV and MVL/MPV.... MVL's highest overnight low on average is 55F while BTV is like 62-63F I think. To me its the nighttime lows that make all the difference, we almost always get down into the 50s and only during real hot stretches (near 90F highs) will we bottom out in the mid 60s.

Last night was as good of an example as any... 51F here, 57F BTV for a low. Also, BTV was in the 50s for 4 hours last night, verses 11-12 hours at MVL. It makes a huge difference whether you need AC or not if the overnight's cool off quickly and stay cool for a long period of time. BTV takes forever to drop while the mountain valleys plummet the minute the sun goes behind the ridges.

Archived