joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moving to New England

nzucker

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

congrats, Rindge and SW NH is truly God's country of SNE. Also you are paid 22k and room/board you say? That's a really good start-up career for remote SW NH. My wife is an art teacher and cannot find work in NH or MA.

It is like 20K plus room/board/amenities. Not a bad deal for a foreign language teacher just starting.

Going to miss high-speed Internet, though...the school has a 1.5Mbit microwave connection, beamed off Mt Monadnock, not exactly great for doing weather stuff. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Excited to average 80"/year...this is going to make Middlebury look like the tropics.

It is like 20K plus room/board/amenities. Not a bad deal for a foreign language teacher just starting.

Going to miss high-speed Internet, though...the school has a 1.5Mbit microwave connection, beamed off Mt Monadnock, not exactly great for doing weather stuff. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Excited to average 80"/year...this is going to make Middlebury look like the tropics.

dude, I dealt with 26.4K dial up until only a few months ago. No complaining allowed!

dude, I dealt with 26.4K dial up until only a few months ago. No complaining allowed!

Did they just introduce high speed there? 26.4K is really slow though, I mean I already had 56K by 6th grade and cable modem by 8th grade. Why was your connection that crappy? I remember the defining moment in my life when I convinced my parents to get cable Internet, and they were hooked.

But there are more important things in life, such as being surrounded by nature instead of crowded suburban streets.

I think one thing I'll be keeping is the NYC accent.

Thanks but no thanks.

You'll be talking like a New Englander in no time.

But seriously, enjoy that area, it's awesome. You'll crush my totals in every storm even though you're not that far away.

You'll be talking like a New Englander in no time.

But seriously, enjoy that area, it's awesome. You'll crush my totals in every storm even though you're not that far away.

Yeah, the campus has a bunch of elevation, I think it's close to 1300'. According to Will, the snowfall average is probably around 82" per year.

Yeah, the campus has a bunch of elevation, I think it's close to 1300'. According to Will, the snowfall average is probably around 82" per year.

Yeah, you're in the perfect spot for marginal events. I average 63'', but I live in the snowhole of NH.

Still have that at home. Modem (exterior: the in-machine one couldn't handle the voltage variations, apparently) says 56K but signal comes in at half that. We had dsl for about 2 months early in 2009, on a borrowed computer (ours too kludgy to work it), until Fairpoint took full control in Maine, at which point the connection died. Even our tech-savvy son could not revive it, and he's now back in Japan - be an expensive service call. We love our end-of-the-line location, woodsy and quiet, but there are some disadvantages.

Yeah, you're in the perfect spot for marginal events. I average 63'', but I live in the snowhole of NH.

It's going to be an improvement over the 38"/yr I probably average in Dobbs Ferry, or the 60-65" Middlebury averaged at 300' in the Champlain Valley. I know Rindge had close to 100" in Winter 07-08, though this year their totals weren't as impressive.

Nate that is very exciting, it sounds like quite an opportunity on both the career and weather enthusiast fronts. I would never have known much about your new area were it not for Will’s excellent thread on Rindge, NH Snowfall. I really enjoyed that thread as it’s not too often one can read such detail about somewhat remote, snowy spots. I know that you may be more linked in with the SNE weather in your new location, but technically you are in NH, so hopefully we’ll get to see you back up in the NNE thread sometimes since there usually isn’t a CNE-specific thread.

Nate that is very exciting, it sounds like quite an opportunity on both the career and weather enthusiast fronts. I would never have known much about your new area were it not for Will’s excellent thread on Rindge, NH Snowfall. I really enjoyed that thread as it’s not too often one can read such detail about somewhat remote, snowy spots. I know that you may be more linked in with the SNE weather in your new location, but technically you are in NH, so hopefully we’ll get to see you back up in the NNE thread sometimes since there usually isn’t a CNE-specific thread.

I'll post some in the NNE thread for sure, I used to enjoy the slower pace there when I was at Midd.

Welcome to NH! Great state, great changable weather with real winters! I will enjoy your posts, stop by and post in NNE weather thread too! Moved up here from the Boston area and never looked back.

Beautiful day up here in Central NH. 72F and low humidity.

View from my bedroom window this AM.

Gene

post-268-0-71038800-1313083209.jpg

I started on 14.4K in 1994..... sprintnet connection

Did they just introduce high speed there? 26.4K is really slow though, I mean I already had 56K by 6th grade and cable modem by 8th grade. Why was your connection that crappy? I remember the defining moment in my life when I convinced my parents to get cable Internet, and they were hooked.

But there are more important things in life, such as being surrounded by nature instead of crowded suburban streets.

Archived