• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moving to New England

nzucker

Cornwall, VT (about as Champlain Valley as you can get in Addison County) averages 69" at the co-op... I bet Middlebury's average is closer to 70" than 60". However, there is a pretty decent difference between Middlebury and Burlington as BTV averages 81" only one county north, closer to the lake, and at the same elevation. Latitude in the Champlain Valley makes a huge difference as the northern end of the lake might as well be southern Canada...similar totals to Montreal and adjacent Quebec flat farmlands.

So if Rindge is a little over 80" and BTV is 81"... you're pretty similar except that BTV's are generally a lot fluffier (low snow water ratio) and the snow retention in Rindge is a lot better. I'll take 81" at 10:1 ratio instead of 20:1 ratio any day... your snowpack will be that much better. Also, there's a psychological element to averaging more than your surrounding area that will likely make Rindge feel extremely snowy compared to other SNE/CNE spots. Just like how when I lived in BTV, 81" a year seemed quite low because every other spot on the evening newscast (western slopes and ski resorts/towns) were getting substantially more, even if they were only 20 miles away. You want to throw something at the TV when the weatherman is there saying, well the good news is here in Burlington we will only get 4-6" while the ski towns should pick up 8-12".

Now I get a bit of that feeling because here in Stowe we do quite well for the region...we don't jackpot all that often but we are at the higher end a lot of the times thanks to the proximity to Mansfield. As you'll find in Rindge, its a nice change of pace to not always expect lower snowfall than areas around you (such as living in the Hudson or Champlain Valleys, as we both have). Its nice to know that if you get screwed in an event, most other areas have also gotten screwed, haha.

Rindge also gets a lot of ice storms unlike the Champlain valley. Despite BTV getting that absolutely life-changing 1998 ice storm...Rindge gets a ton of nuisance ice storms that other areas dont but it helps with the winter-esque scene.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cornwall, VT (about as Champlain Valley as you can get in Addison County) averages 69" at the co-op... I bet Middlebury's average is closer to 70" than 60". However, there is a pretty decent difference between Middlebury and Burlington as BTV averages 81" only one county north, closer to the lake, and at the same elevation. Latitude in the Champlain Valley makes a huge difference as the northern end of the lake might as well be southern Canada...similar totals to Montreal and adjacent Quebec flat farmlands.

So if Rindge is a little over 80" and BTV is 81"... you're pretty similar except that BTV's are generally a lot fluffier (low snow water ratio) and the snow retention in Rindge is a lot better. I'll take 81" at 10:1 ratio instead of 20:1 ratio any day... your snowpack will be that much better. Also, there's a psychological element to averaging more than your surrounding area that will likely make Rindge feel extremely snowy compared to other SNE/CNE spots. Just like how when I lived in BTV, 81" a year seemed quite low because every other spot on the evening newscast (western slopes and ski resorts/towns) were getting substantially more, even if they were only 20 miles away. You want to throw something at the TV when the weatherman is there saying, well the good news is here in Burlington we will only get 4-6" while the ski towns should pick up 8-12".

Now I get a bit of that feeling because here in Stowe we do quite well for the region...we don't jackpot all that often but we are at the higher end a lot of the times thanks to the proximity to Mansfield. As you'll find in Rindge, its a nice change of pace to not always expect lower snowfall than areas around you (such as living in the Hudson or Champlain Valleys, as we both have). Its nice to know that if you get screwed in an event, most other areas have also gotten screwed, haha.

Yeah I always thought Middlebury was a little higher but Salisbury only reports a 53" average, so I was wondering if Cornwall is a bit high. I know Salisbury is definitely low, but could there be a middle ground? Middlebury is also a bit closer to the Green Mountain spine than Cornwall, so they could see a bit more downsloping on SW flow events with easterly surface winds. I would guess East Middlebury is the worst, however, love that town but would hate the downsloping right underneath the Route 125 pass/Middlebury Gap.

Yes, Rindge definitely is on the high end for SNE posters, though it doesn't average nearly as much as the White Mountains in the northern part of New Hampshire. You do get a lot of BS clipper and lake effect events that don't stick around in the Champlain Valley; I'm expecting more moisture-laden snows here, and temperatures to generally remain below freezing in winter, which should limit melting. We should have a better snowpack than Middlebury unless it's a latitude-oriented winter, but even 07-08 which did have a lot of latitude events was pretty good here.

I've spent my whole life in the Hudson/Champlain Valleys...I grew up much further south, so I've been screwed more lolz. But yes, areas in the Northern Champlain Valley do quite well and average close to 90"...

Yeah I always thought Middlebury was a little higher but Salisbury only reports a 53" average, so I was wondering if Cornwall is a bit high. I know Salisbury is definitely low, but could there be a middle ground? Middlebury is also a bit closer to the Green Mountain spine than Cornwall, so they could see a bit more downsloping on SW flow events with easterly surface winds. I would guess East Middlebury is the worst, however, love that town but would hate the downsloping right underneath the Route 125 pass/Middlebury Gap.

Yes, Rindge definitely is on the high end for SNE posters, though it doesn't average nearly as much as the White Mountains in the northern part of New Hampshire. You do get a lot of BS clipper and lake effect events that don't stick around in the Champlain Valley; I'm expecting more moisture-laden snows here, and temperatures to generally remain below freezing in winter, which should limit melting. We should have a better snowpack than Middlebury unless it's a latitude-oriented winter, but even 07-08 which did have a lot of latitude events was pretty good here.

I've spent my whole life in the Hudson/Champlain Valleys...I grew up much further south, so I've been screwed more lolz. But yes, areas in the Northern Champlain Valley do quite well and average close to 90"...

Rindge will blow away the snow pack of the Champlain valley...even in an '07-'08 winter. You'll see after a good 2-3 winters there.

Rindge will blow away the snow pack of the Champlain valley...even in an '07-'08 winter. You'll see after a good 2-3 winters there.

Middlebury had its snowpack wiped away in the January 2008 torch...I wonder if Rindge survived.

07-08 was a pretty flip-flop winter. I was down south in Poughkeepsie, but we had some really cold periods in December with a big snowstorm at the beginning of the month, then a terribly mild and rainy January, followed by a flip back to cold in late February for the last big snow of the season. Even Dobbs Ferry had some events that December...I remember shoveling a few 2-4" with ice type deals.

Middlebury had its snowpack wiped away in the January 2008 torch...I wonder if Rindge survived.

07-08 was a pretty flip-flop winter. I was down south in Poughkeepsie, but we had some really cold periods in December with a big snowstorm at the beginning of the month, then a terribly mild and rainy January, followed by a flip back to cold in late February for the last big snow of the season. Even Dobbs Ferry had some events that December...I remember shoveling a few 2-4" with ice type deals.

Rindge survived that torch. I remember going up to Winchendon to tutor on Jan 12, 2008 and they had a solid 6-8" still on the ground while I only had piles and patches. That area is a Tiger for surviving torch attacks. Its amazing. They get the snow and keep it...my area is usually pretty good as evidenced as my pics from this past late February and March, but it doesn't stand up to extreme N ORH county and the Monadnocks in/around Rindge.

Rindge survived that torch. I remember going up to Winchendon to tutor on Jan 12, 2008 and they had a solid 6-8" still on the ground while I only had piles and patches. That area is a Tiger for surviving torch attacks. Its amazing. They get the snow and keep it...my area is usually pretty good as evidenced as my pics from this past late February and March, but it doesn't stand up to extreme N ORH county and the Monadnocks in/around Rindge.

Has there ever not been snow here in mid-winter recently? January 2007? That torch was a beast, even wiped out the Green Mtns to like 2500'.

I imagine the snowpack retention heads downhill quickly as you head west on Route 119 towards I-91 and the CT River Valley...

Has there ever not been snow here in mid-winter recently? January 2007? That torch was a beast, even wiped out the Green Mtns to like 2500'.

I imagine the snowpack retention heads downhill quickly as you head west on Route 119 towards I-91 and the CT River Valley...

Jan 2007 had zero snow pack anywhere except above like 3000 feetin the Greens and Whites..it was absolutely brutal. Dec 2006 was similar, same winter. There was just no snow at all and warm temps...hot temps for winter actually. We had a couple minor events that were wiped out within 2-3 days even at the higher elevations. Horrific first half of winter.

Jan 2007 had zero snow pack anywhere except above like 3000 feetin the Greens and Whites..it was absolutely brutal. Dec 2006 was similar, same winter. There was just no snow at all and warm temps...hot temps for winter actually. We had a couple minor events that were wiped out within 2-3 days even at the higher elevations. Horrific first half of winter.

I remember Jan 2007 in Middlebury...you couldn't see any snow in the Green Mountains, and you can easily see the ridgeline from campus that's up at like 2500', so that was quite surprising. It was a given that you could see snow from campus during winter considering the viewpoint of the Adirondack High Peaks and Greens, but Jan 2007 was one point at which I couldn't report any snow. It was really terrible, just a brutal torch with temperatures in the 50s and 60s during mid winter as far north as Vermont. I think NYC hit 70F one day in January 2007 with crocus sprouting in Central Park, absolutely horrific, I just remember the sad brown landscape of rural Vermont, waiting for winter to arrive. The pattern did change in a hurry though.

There was a minor event in VT around 12/20/06...I remember brushing my car off after a few inches had fallen. That was about it until late January, however, in terms of snowfall at MIddlebury. The fall had also been a torch except for a few days in early October.

I remember Jan 2007 in Middlebury...you couldn't see any snow in the Green Mountains, and you can easily see the ridgeline from campus that's up at like 2500', so that was quite surprising. It was a given that you could see snow from campus during winter considering the viewpoint of the Adirondack High Peaks and Greens, but Jan 2007 was one point at which I couldn't report any snow. It was really terrible, just a brutal torch with temperatures in the 50s and 60s during mid winter as far north as Vermont. I think NYC hit 70F one day in January 2007 with crocus sprouting in Central Park, absolutely horrific, I just remember the sad brown landscape of rural Vermont, waiting for winter to arrive. The pattern did change in a hurry though.

There was a minor event in VT around 12/20/06...I remember brushing my car off after a few inches had fallen. That was about it until late January, however, in terms of snowfall at MIddlebury. The fall had also been a torch except for a few days in early October.

Thankfully that was historic...and unlikely to happen again...it was also a great comeback...a historic comeback for NNE too..and merely great one for interior SNE. But its unlikely we ever see a Dec/Jan combo like that again...it was about the worst Dec/Jan combo possible in New England history. It was that bad. It doesn't go down in lore because Feb/Mar made a comeback, but anyone keeping score will realize how historically bad those two months were here.

The worst on record in most places (both for least snow and warmth).

• 11 months later...

You might see more in NYC this year than last year

It's certainly possible...I had 68" in Dobbs Ferry in 09-10 and 69.5" in 10-11, which is about a foot more than Rindge received last winter. 09-10 and 10-11 also seemed like better winters in Dobbs Ferry because the snow was all during the heart of the winter season. We had an incredible snowpack here in 10-11:

How did you make out in October in Rindge?

It's in my signature, had 25" for the main storm and 3.5" for the smaller event before that. The Halloween storm was impressive, but we received just 57.5" on the year. That means Rindge had just 29" of snow outside of October, which is absolutely horrific for 1200' in the Monadnocks. Average is about 82", so we had about two thirds of average, which is better than folks to the south but still discouraging.

It's in my signature, had 25" for the main storm and 3.5" for the smaller event before that. The Halloween storm was impressive, but we received just 57.5" on the year. That means Rindge had just 29" of snow outside of October, which is absolutely horrific for 1200' in the Monadnocks. Average is about 82", so we had about two thirds of average, which is better than folks to the south but still discouraging.

Yeah the winter that followed was awful. But you were near the jackpot for the biggest October snowstorm you will ever see in your life. Perfectly timed move IMO.

Yeah the winter that followed was awful. But you were near the jackpot for the biggest October snowstorm you will ever see in your life. Perfectly timed move IMO.

It was certainly a fascinating storm with one of the longest return times of any recent anomalous events, but it was a bad weekend for me to appreciate it as the parents were in town and I had a lot of conferences and events to attend. Given the reputation of that area for extreme winters and heavy snowpack, I think I would have rather seen 100" spread out with cold temperatures so I could go sledding, skating, and hiking more.

Don..that was last August lol...I think Socks is teaching somewhere near his home now in Westchester

Yup, I got a job teaching at a dual language (Spanish-English) school in Brooklyn. It's a public school, so I'm working on my Masters and certification, which is being sponsored by the NYC Teaching Fellows program. I'm looking for apartments and will probably be moving to Brooklyn by October. Definitely taking a cut in snowfall to get a subsidized Masters degree, better salary/benefits, and be closer to friends and family in the NYC area.

I think all the people in New England also agreed that I brought the Mid-Atlantic climate with me, and therefore I was summarily dismissed by those who love cold/snow and did not find Winter 11-12 agreeable. In all honesty, last year was a pathetic winter for the Monadnocks.

Looking back at old threads, my winter in Rindge was a bust. I accepted a Masters Fellowship with NYC schools so my snowfall average has once again declined.

Sorry I missed this. I live in Winchendon and go to Rindge at least once a week to go to Walmart and Market Basket.

Yeah, last winter was weird for these parts.

My wife and I will be moving closer to Boston at some point. N. Central Mass/Southern NH is a nice area, but jobs are sparse.

Archived