• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
SC/NC/TN/VA Clipper Storm Obs

phil882

just woke up from a nap..... no radar reflection, but still having light snow in Greenville... temp at 29.... right around 2 for the storm.... waking up to a white ground on the 4th of December is special. Walked around town today watching it snow with church bells in the background and wreaths being hung on the sidewalks. Such a special scene.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall my map was underdone for some locations farthest to the east... but I seemed to have a pretty good idea where the maximums for snowfall would be around Greensboro to Boone. In retrospect, I don't know why I had the 1-2" cutoff in NC as areas in Virgina did just as well if not better than the NW corner of NC.

Some NWS Totals:

Greensboro, NC: 2.0"

Raleigh, NC: 0.8"

Boone, NC: 2.5"

Jefferson, NC: 4.0"

Winston-Salem: 2.0"

Video I shot during the event. Daylight is in Moore County (In West End outside of Southern Pines/Pinehurst) and the night shots are in Raleigh near and on the campus of NCSU.

Nice eyewall, Thanks for all the pics and videos you do they are awesome ! :thumbsup:

BTW- Great call you made on this storm, I ended up with 3 inches... :snowman:

just woke up from a nap..... no radar reflection, but still having light snow in Greenville... temp at 29.... right around 2 for the storm.... waking up to a white ground on the 4th of December is special. Walked around town today watching it snow with church bells in the background and wreaths being hung on the sidewalks. Such a special scene.

Nice pics everyone. I don't think NC, especially eastern /cntrl NC is done with the snow. On my winter outlook had the eastern sections pegged with above average,and I still like that call. I think Phil made a post about why this pattern favors the eastern sections of NC with a -PNA, -NAO and that looks to continue. Systems coming at us forced to stay south and east, before going out to sea or up the coast. Its probably going to be very hard to get something like the 00Z GFS where a system travels a classic coastal plain path and puts the western parts of the Carolinas in snow due to such a strong NAO signal, I'd favor a more eastern track, or one west of the Apps altogether.

Melting fast here too, but most of the yard is still covered, with isolated bare spots starting to show up. Had a inch, round about accumulation, on everything except for the roads last night. Quarter inch liquid in the gauge this morning once I took it inside to melt. Nice while it lasts, was honestly not expecting much and this was a pleasant surprise that it sticked, despite warm ground temps. High res eastern vis from UW shows the cover across NC, valid 10:15am...

Melting fast here too, but most of the yard is still covered, with isolated bare spots starting to show up. Had a inch, round about accumulation, on everything except for the roads last night. Quarter inch liquid in the gauge this morning once I took it inside to melt. Nice while it lasts, was honestly not expecting much and this was a pleasant surprise that it sticked, despite warm ground temps. High res eastern vis from UW shows the cover across NC, valid 10:15am...

Ground temps are overrated when it comes to moderate snow when temperatures are near freezing.

Yea the northwest flow part is kicking up. We have some light snow currently just NW of Asheville.

Latest Obs.

Temp: 31.0 degrees

Dewpoint: 27 degrees

I went up to Sam's Gap Earlier (around 2am) and they have around 2-3" of snow on the ground, with a pretty significant layer of sleet under that. So it seems that the mountains had mixing issues earlier in the day, but the upslope snow is kicking in big time. They were at around 23 degrees when we left.

That's not surprising. I trekked the 26 corridor earlier in the day (4pm-6pm; stopped in Wolf Laurel for a bit to wait out the above-freezing temperatures, but it never dropped below 33), and as heavier bands moved through, there was a 10:1 sleet to rain/snow ratio. North Carolina still had a bit of snow on the ground; Tennessee was well above freezing and everything aside from the large snow/road salt chunks had melted.

Very true and if we get another system in this pattern they won't be much of a factor with this cold in place.

Another factor was no one saw several hours of full sunshine during the day. Everyone had a cold night at or below freezing and then clouds filtered the sun so the ground was never as warm as it could have been. Roads are another issue but as far as grounds it didnt take long to stick.

Nice pics everyone. I don't think NC, especially eastern /cntrl NC is done with the snow. On my winter outlook had the eastern sections pegged with above average,and I still like that call. I think Phil made a post about why this pattern favors the eastern sections of NC with a -PNA, -NAO and that looks to continue. Systems coming at us forced to stay south and east, before going out to sea or up the coast. Its probably going to be very hard to get something like the 00Z GFS where a system travels a classic coastal plain path and puts the western parts of the Carolinas in snow due to such a strong NAO signal, I'd favor a more eastern track, or one west of the Apps altogether.

Are you referring to the thread I started this morning? If so, then I am glad you agree with my reasoning.

I always love to see those sat pics after a snow event.

Ground temps are overrated when it comes to moderate snow when temperatures are near freezing.

I agree with this 100%. The way I relate this is with freezing rain. If it's raining and the surface temperature is 32, ice will begin to form on the ground, I don't care how warm the ground temperatures are or how warm it's been the previous week.

I agree with this 100%. The way I relate this is with freezing rain. If it's raining and the surface temperature is 32, ice will begin to form on the ground, I don't care how warm the ground temperatures are or how warm it's been the previous week.

I disagree. I've experienced quite a few rain storms when the temp was 30-32 that was just rain, no ice, due to either a very shallow layer of cold air at the surface or because ground temps were too high. Maybe my memory is tricking me, and if so hopefully a MET will set me straight :drunk:

I think ground temps are much more a factor in glazing for sure. Especially in marginal situations with frz rain and 32. Freezing rain is self limiting anyway without a strong cold air feed. The icing releases latent heat which warms the atmosphere.

Not much snow, but the roads are patchy icy and slick. A car has nailed a tree not too far from Phils's place.(not stalking you Phil. My aunt use to live on Panorama.:))

Wow Its a small world I guess! Just curious, but what is the name of your aunt? I am currently renting this house from some folks who use to live here.

As for obs right now we are still getting some snow flurries, but our humidity is dropping off... still have that dusting on the ground from last night because we never even broke 30 today.

Temp: 26.4 degrees

Dewpoint: 19 degrees

Archived