• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
SC/NC/TN/VA Clipper Storm Obs

phil882

Believe it or not, we are already picking up measurable precipitation here on the NW side of Asheville, NC. Current Obs.

Current Conditions:

Light Sleet / Freezing Rain Mix

Temp: 30.0 degrees

Dewpoint: 25 degrees

I'm kinda stunned its already underway here. I am a little disappointed to see we only have a sleet / freezing rain mix starting. That band moving into the Apps. means business! I didn't think we would be getting anything before daybreak.

zunh5d.gif

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the precip is moving in early thanks in large part to this very powerful band stretching over multiple states. We are just on the tail end of it here. It looks like things will be winding down as the band moves east of here. Will be interesting to see if the foothills and northern mountains downstream are picking up any snowfall with this band.

dtwfn.gif

temp has been slowly rising, likely due to the sleet freezing creating diabatic heat release.

Temp: 30.3 degrees

Dewpoint: 27 degrees

06 GFS coming in drier....... whatya think Phil, im starting to worry. It might be nowcast time and I should put down the model remote.

I think its nowcasting time, so its not really worth looking into the specifics with the models anymore. What I have found out thus far is that the warm nose is currently quite a bit stronger than the models are indicating at this time, since I saw no snowfall with that first band of precipitation that came through and hour ago. Radar looks quite good right now, and I expect it to continue to fill in as we move into the mid to late morning hours. I wouldn't start to worry until late this afternoon if the radar is looking rather anemic by then in NC.

Just peered under the flood lights and I have a few pellets of very light sleet.Very few, but still my first frozen of the season. Temp 38, dew 30.

I think its nowcasting time, so its not really worth looking into the specifics with the models anymore. What I have found out thus far is that the warm nose is currently quite a bit stronger than the models are indicating at this time, since I saw no snowfall with that first band of precipitation that came through and hour ago. Radar looks quite good right now, and I expect it to continue to fill in as we move into the mid to late morning hours. I wouldn't start to worry until late this afternoon if the radar is looking rather anemic by then in NC.

Yep. Saw the sleet on the way to work out this A.M. I think the cold that Robert has been talking is the big story here. Hopefully, you other guys cash in on some snow.

yeah the cold is going to be the big story. The 6z runs are colder for NC. But just going by the latest 00z runs of all of them, Sunday through Tuesday is going to be brutal in NC, and very cold for most of the Southeast. I watched a few CLT stations last night and see they're still going in the 40s for temps , guess we'll see. The GFS has high temps pretty cold Monday barely mid 30s from Charlotte north and west. The thickness and 850 and trajectory of our incoming air looks to me like mid 30s to upper 30s will probably be it for this area, and you likely won't make it above 32 for 2 days.

CONGRATS Robert/Phil!

Hope you all get hammered! I'll let u know if we get any rain at all down here...got my doubts.:thumbsup:

Just checked again and the sleet is back. Nice pecking sound, but I'm sure it will go to rain soon once the dry air is used up. Not much precip here, but that probably bodes well for central and northern NC later on.

snow ( and accum up to 1" ) has finally been removed from my forecast. No mention of sleet though. The forecast temps Sun/Mon are a little warm I think but we'll see.

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SHELBY

618 AM EST SAT DEC 4 2010

TODAY

CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN THIS AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE MID

40S. SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN 50 PERCENT.

TONIGHT...CLOUDY WITH RAIN LIKELY IN THE EVENING

THEN PARTLY

CLOUDY AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND

5 MPH...BECOMING NORTHWEST AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF RAIN

60 PERCENT.

SUNDAY

SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO

15 MPH.

SUNDAY NIGHT

MOSTLY CLEAR. COLD WITH LOWS IN THE MID 20S.

NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.

MONDAY

MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. NORTHWEST WINDS

10 TO 15 MPH.

Archived