Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
SC/NC/TN/VA Clipper Storm Obs

phil882

post-1288-0-18834700-1291585584.jpg

post-1288-0-02696700-1291585483.jpg

Just got back from Avery this past weekend. Left today at 1;30pm with 10.75" on the table and around 8-9" on the ground. Still snowing when I left. Maybe a foot is possible into the evening hours.

If your friend had this much at 1:30 yesterday afternoon, he has to be pushing 20+ by this morning!!

Edit: Oops, sorry, didn't see your post in the other thread.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your friend had this much at 1:30 yesterday afternoon, he has to be pushing 20+ by this morning!!

Edit: Oops, sorry, didn't see your post in the other thread.

No worry Joe. A quick update from Sugar Mtn Rd #2 in Newland... 20.5" and still counting. I came into work (Haywood Comm College in Clyde, NC) this morning with a 2 hr delay and one inch on the ground. Im thinking I could of stayed the night last night (in Newland) to see 20". O well, sometimes its not worth gambling the job (but it sure was tempting :whistle: ).

hard to believe i live less than an hour from there.:wacko:

The climate change is amazing in your area. I normally go to Banner Elk by going thru Marion off of I-40 and up 231 (it think that's the hwy number). Once you get off I40 at Marion it's only 45 miles but its like driving to Minnesota climate wise. I never ceases to amaze me...the high country of NC that is.

The climate change is amazing in your area. I normally go to Banner Elk by going thru Marion off of I-40 and up 231 (it think that's the hwy number). Once you get off I40 at Marion it's only 45 miles but its like driving to Minnesota climate wise. I never ceases to amaze me...the high country of NC that is.

Yea, i can see the grandfather/boone area mtns from where I live. On days like today you can see the upslope cumulus blocking them out. You know it's snowing like crazy. We actually had a snow shower come through here for a few minutes this afternoon.Generally only happens when the upslope is going like crazy up there.

Friend in Avery this morning texted me and said he has 28" on his table and elsewhere its too wind blown to get an accurate reading. 3-4" drifts everywhere. Makes sense even with the limited amount of moisture as GSP mentioned this morning a 40:1 SN ratio.

Amazing. And if I'm not mistaken Avery county never had anything more than a winter weather advisory...going off my memory here.

Amazing. And if I'm not mistaken Avery county never had anything more than a winter weather advisory...going off my memory here.

here was the latest issuance:

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND

703 AM EST TUE DEC 7 2010

..WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS MORNING

TODAY

PARTLY SUNNY WITH SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. TOTAL SNOW

ACCUMULATION AROUND AN INCH POSSIBLE. BRISK AND COLD WITH HIGHS

14 TO 20. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

CHANCE OF SNOW 50 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 13 BELOW THIS

MORNING.

and the one issued Saturday:

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWLAND

333 PM EST SAT DEC 4 2010

..WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST SUNDAY

TONIGHT

SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES. WINDY AND COLD

WITH LOWS AROUND 20. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH. GUSTS UP TO

40 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF SNOW 90 PERCENT.

SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY

MAINLY IN THE

MORNING. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION AROUND AN INCH. WINDY AND

COLD. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS

15 TO 25 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH IN THE MORNING. CHANCE OF SNOW

70 PERCENT.

SUNDAY NIGHT

MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW

SHOWERS. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION AROUND AN INCH POSSIBLE.

BLUSTERY AND COLD WITH LOWS AROUND 15. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH

WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 5 BELOW.

MONDAY

MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS.

LITTLE OR NO ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION. BLUSTERY AND COLD WITH

HIGHS IN THE MID 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

45 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 5 BELOW.

MONDAY NIGHT

MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW

SHOWERS. LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. WINDY AND COLD WITH LOWS

AROUND 11. NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.

WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 10 BELOW.

Just got back online. The wind tilted my HughesNet dish. Dude came and realigned it a little while ago. It's on top of the solarium over our pool and the poor guy was up there, in the snow, at 7 degrees, with a 30 mph wind, with his laptop!!! The glass panels are heated but he had to be dying up there :snowman:

Anyhow, the best last measurement I got was about 9 last night and was at 18 inches. Woke up today and it's been blown everywhere. Like Loco's friend, there are 4 to 6 foot drifts all over the place. This event has been a surprise to all around here.

Flurries

8.2 Degrees

NW wind @ 17/G33

Just got back online. The wind tilted my HughesNet dish. Dude came and realigned it a little while ago. It's on top of the solarium over our pool and the poor guy was up there, in the snow, at 7 degrees, with a 30 mph wind, with his laptop!!! The glass panels are heated but he had to be dying up there :snowman:

Anyhow, the best last measurement I got was about 9 last night and was at 18 inches. Woke up today and it's been blown everywhere. Like Loco's friend, there are 4 to 6 foot drifts all over the place. This event has been a surprise to all around here.

Flurries

8.2 Degrees

NW wind @ 17/G33

Got a confirmation of 24" plus this morning. He said its getting really hard to measure a decent buildup. Mighty brutal, but that why we love it!

Looking forward to next week when this setup could be even stronger.

Archived