e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
SC/NC/TN/VA Clipper Storm Obs

phil882

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had close to 2 hours of heavy-moderate snow. Covered everything up good but roads,sidewalks. Then drizzle since 4;00. Got some snow around, but lost alot thanks to warm ground/drizzle. I'm estatic with how things turned out today. DITTOS TO THE NAM and other high res models. Timing was everything and northern coastal plain should do well this evening with sun down. Hopefully the column up top can stay saturated for a while for you guys. Be awesome if Greenville Rocky Mount can get a lollipop and reach their annual snowfall average on the 4th day of winter.

Going forward it's upslope time and pretty stout Cold. This has only made me more thirsty for the next chase/threat. Could snow all 90 days of winter and It would never grow old.

Amen to that Bro. :thumbsup:

i have a hard time believing this will intensify or rejuvenate once off the coast like that

That is the 18z ens mean, so take it at what it is, not the op though... Regional models support at-least 0.25" liquid here, and that is what I am going with. Around a tenth has fallen, and almost everything is white, can't wait for the other fifteenths. :drunk:

Triad folks, step up your pic game! This is Snowtime! :snowman:

Just for you DCMet. Pic from backyard taken about 5:00 pm 4 miles north of Kernersville, NC. Went out just before supper as afraid light would be gone by time finished eating. Forgot to check temp but accumulations in back yard were consistent 3 1/4 inches across a broad swath at that time. I was out handling personal business most of afternoon, but wife reported heavy snow with intermittant periods of consistent steady snow. She did say she thought their was a slight period of sleet that occurred mid-afternoon.

post-2290-0-51203800-1291505248.jpg

not quite... spit out over .5 qpf for 2 days for PGV... that would equate to us having atleast warning criteria snow.... half inch so far

Your right, but your not done yet. I could see you getting another inch before this is done. The last band that went through my location droped an inch (temp was below freezing during that band). The NAM did get the right locations North central NC to central coastal plain.

Very similar look here in Summerfield, NC (just north of GSO). I'm guessing just over 3in and although, not as much, the roads and sidewalks are covered.

Just for you DCMet. Pic from backyard taken about 5:00 pm 4 miles north of Kernersville, NC. Went out just before supper as afraid light would be gone by time finished eating. Forgot to check temp but accumulations in back yard were consistent 3 1/4 inches across a broad swath at that time. I was out handling personal business most of afternoon, but wife reported heavy snow with intermittant periods of consistent steady snow. She did say she thought their was a slight period of sleet that occurred mid-afternoon.

post-2290-0-51203800-1291505248.jpg

Your right, but your not done yet. I could see you getting another inch before this is done. The last band that went through my location droped an inch (temp was below freezing during that band). The NAM did get the right locations North central NC to central coastal plain.

Not to mention it was much closer to reality than the GFS. I measured 2 inches here. What about you Falls?

Went hunting near Pinetops NC ( Edgecombe Co roughly 10 miles north of WeatherNC) and it started around 3 there. For the first 1.5 hrs it was hit and miss big flakes then little flakes start then stop. Finally around 4:30 it went nuts was .25-.50 in the open and a heavy dusting in the woods and it took all of 10 mins for it to go from nothing to that.

Here in Gville at my house its not nearly that good but I am all for the NAM being right with the QPF and coastal development ( to bad reality will rear its ugly head)

Congrats to all the NC folks and TN who got to see some snow! If it weren't for the game tonight i'd be in a very bad mood cause all we had was some cold rain...as predicted but was still hoping to see a few flakes or pellets.:snowman:

Go 'Noles.... Class of 70

My sister... '73

Brother... '79

Niece... '95

I will post pics/vid from Raleigh and Moore County when I get home. Got some good shots at the Court of Carolina and at the NCSU Belltower. Looks like about an inch fell in the NCSU area. I think at home in Southern Pines it was just some rain/sleet tonight.

An FYI for those who thought the NAM was too wet including myself.. RDU came in with a 6 hour precip of 0.26 in of liquid. Sometimes, ASOS units have a difficult time with snow but I would believe this number being that they have a human observer and im sure they augment the METARs

Archived