e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
SC/NC/TN/VA Clipper Storm Obs

phil882

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emergency workers and the NC Highway Patrol said weather was a factor in a double fatality that happened Saturday afternoon in High Point. They said a child from the crash was transported to the hospital. Telecommunicators at the 911 center in High Point tell WFMY News 2 that the crash happened around 3:31pm on a bridge located on East Fork Rd near Guilford Road.

Highway Patrol said the crash involved two pickup trucks and happened when one traveling west on E. Fork Rd went left of center due to icy conditions and hit the other truck coming east.

City workers were called to spread salt on the bridge and the area for icy patches

Personally I think it was gutsy to call for accumulations outside the mountains. Very nice!:thumbsup:

wow I'm looking at your temp map and you can really see how the low dragged up some significant warmth in GA/SC and WNC. We have just changed over to snow here in Asheville, but this has been one of those interesting tracks where the piedmont and coastal plain benefited from the cold air the most, while areas that normally get hammered, like the mountains of NC were left quite wet and not snowy. Interesting storm all around.

wow I'm looking at your temp map and you can really see how the low dragged up some significant warmth in GA/SC and WNC. We have just changed over to snow here in Asheville, but this has been one of those interesting tracks where the piedmont and coastal plain benefited from the cold air the most, while areas that normally get hammered, like the mountains of NC were left quite wet and not snowy. Interesting storm all around.

Glad you finally getting some flakes. Yeah that warm air surged in the evening and it was cloudy the whole time. I'm just glad temps have started to tank before midnight so it does not screw up my high for tomorrow. LOL. Probably gonna be stuck in the 30's here tomorrow and would hate to have an official high of 48 at midnight.

Last year I remember someone saying how clippers basically didn't do anything east of the Apps because downsloping ate up what little precip there was. What makes this clipper different? Track? Intensity? It's a very interesting event indeed.

Just for you DCMet. Pic from backyard taken about 5:00 pm 4 miles north of Kernersville, NC. Went out just before supper as afraid light would be gone by time finished eating. Forgot to check temp but accumulations in back yard were consistent 3 1/4 inches across a broad swath at that time. I was out handling personal business most of afternoon, but wife reported heavy snow with intermittant periods of consistent steady snow. She did say she thought their was a slight period of sleet that occurred mid-afternoon.

post-2290-0-51203800-1291505248.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! :snowman: I'm extremely jealous!!:thumbsup:

Last year I remember someone saying how clippers basically didn't do anything east of the Apps because downsloping ate up what little precip there was. What makes this clipper different? Track? Intensity? It's a very interesting event indeed.

Its all about the way the 300mb jet was set up to provide divergence aloft. This event actually has some similarities with the January 23rd, 2003 event that dropped quite a bit of snow in the lee of the Apps. while the Apps. themselves didn't get very much. Obviously this is a less intense case, but the same setup is there.

January 23rd, 2003

snow.20030123.gif

eta_12z_300_000hr.gif

Currently:

2unwktz.gif

Its all about the way the 300mb jet was set up to provide divergence aloft. This event actually has some similarities with the January 23rd, 2003 event that dropped quite a bit of snow in the lee of the Apps. while the Apps. themselves didn't get very much. Obviously this is a less intense case, but the same setup is there.

January 23rd, 2003

snow.20030123.gif

eta_12z_300_000hr.gif

Currently:

2unwktz.gif

8.5" at KCLT on .18 equivalent....unreal(9" for me)

Major flop here. On and off rain/sleet/snow with temperatures at 33+ since eight this morning. Just now is the flow snow event underway and beginning to stick. A dusting of accumulation from an early-morning band that moved through is all that can be equated to this system.

Yea the northwest flow part is kicking up. We have some light snow currently just NW of Asheville.

Latest Obs.

Temp: 31.0 degrees

Dewpoint: 27 degrees

I went up to Sam's Gap Earlier (around 2am) and they have around 2-3" of snow on the ground, with a pretty significant layer of sleet under that. So it seems that the mountains had mixing issues earlier in the day, but the upslope snow is kicking in big time. They were at around 23 degrees when we left.

Archived