joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
track the squall line and temperature drop

forkyfork

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We stopped short of issuing a tornado warning for the portion of the line that entered Brooklyn near the Verrazano Narrows bridge. EWR/JFK TDWR's showed an appendage in the line coincident with a low level circulation (though not a very tight one). Will be interesting to hear what damage reports if any come out of Bay Ridge and maybe Park Slope. And now I see another similar feature just south of Canarsie...

We stopped short of issuing a tornado warning for the portion of the line that entered Brooklyn near the Verrazano Narrows bridge. EWR/JFK TDWR's showed an appendage in the line coincident with a low level circulation (though not a very tight one). Will be interesting to hear what damage reports if any come out of Bay Ridge and maybe Park Slope. And now I see another similar feature just south of Canarsie...

Wow. Keep us updated.

Highest winds here on the southern tip of Manhattan came -just- before the squall rolled through. Wind was incredible- cars were rocking, people blown across the street, etc. I was talking to the security head for my office building, and he said we had two injuries in our building from the wind (both small women who were blown down while walking back from lunch). I have video, but can't post at work.

Suffice to say, "true" 55pmh gust + water exposure + funnelling = ridiculousness.

I had really strong winds, I lost my power several times today, one of them for an hour and a half. Looks like wind gusts passed 50 mph in NE NJ, it definitely felt like it with near zero visibility and rain flying sideways.

The temperature drop was really impressive, I went down from the 60s early this afternoon to 40 degrees now and still steadily dropping. I should probably reach the lower 30s tonight. Time to get ready for what should be the longest stretch of below average temperatures since February, if not January...

The squall line was anticlimactic, as here on the south shore of long island, we already had winds gusting over 50 every hour between 5 am and 3 pm (and sustained over 30); the squall line actually brought that to an end.  This storm was second only to the March storm-- which heralded the end of the 09-10 winter.  So maybe this one is the beginning of the 10-11 winter ;)

Archived