AREAS.

DISCUSSION...TSTMS/SUPERCELLS EXPECTED TO PERSIST ALONG DEEP FRONTAL

ZONE ORIENTED WNW/ESE FROM WRN NC INTO N CNTRL SC. INSTABILITY WILL

BE IMPORTED BY STRENGTHENING WSWLY 850-700 MB FLOW ASSOCIATED WITH

UPR VORT/MCS PASSING BY TO THE N. LENGTHENING HODOGRAPHS AND

ASSOCIATED STEEP LAPSE RATE PLUME COULD SUPPORT IN INCREASING

POTENTIAL FOR LOW-LVL MESOCYCLONES/TORNADOES GIVEN FAIRLY MOIST

LOW-LVL ENVIRONMENT INVOF WEAK BACK-DOOR FRONT AT THE SFC...WITH THE

THREAT CONTINUING INTO TONIGHT DESPITE LOSS OF DAYTIME HEATING.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Georgia for the weekend. Naturally the crazy storms hit while I'm gone.

This is scary though:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR... UNICOI COUNTY IN EAST TENNESSEE... SOUTHERN WASHINGTON COUNTY IN EAST TENNESSEE...* UNTIL 645 PM EDT* AT 557 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 8 MILES EAST OF TUSCULUM...OR 12 MILES EAST OF GREENEVILLE. DOPPLER RADAR SHOWED THIS TORNADO MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 30 MPH.* THIS TORNADIC STORM WILL BE NEAR... BANNER HILL AND ERWIN AROUND 620 PM EDT.OTHER LOCATIONS AFFECTED BY THIS TORNADIC THUNDERSTORM INCLUDEEMBREEVILLE.

The storms here have been pretty bad. Unicoi Co. is under a tornado warning as I write this. The initial line rolled through Sullivan Co. about one hour ago. Took the family in the basement when marble size hail, strong winds, and frequent(I don't use that term loosely) lightning strikes began to move in. The sky changed to that weird color that often accompanies severe storms. WJHL reported the cloud tops to be 50,000 feet. They showed baseball hail from just southeast of Rogersville. A tree about 150 yards up the street from me was shredded by a lightning strike.

The storms here have been pretty bad. Unicoi Co. is under a tornado warning as I write this. The initial line rolled through Sullivan Co. about one hour ago. Took the family in the basement when marble size hail, strong winds, and frequent(I don't use that term loosely) lightning strikes began to move in. The sky changed to that weird color that often accompanies severe storms. WJHL reported the cloud tops to be 50,000 feet. They showed baseball hail from just southeast of Rogersville. A tree about 150 yards up the street from me was shredded by a lightning strike.

The only official reports I've seen thus far are 1" hail and tree damage in Johnson City (mentioned the medical center area near the W Market/State of Franklin intersection specifically) and 4.25" (softball) size hail in Rogersville. Family in Erwin report small hail and wind so far, but no damage.

Keeping my eye on the next area of storms currently progressing southeastward passing through the Burnsville area up northwest in the mountains. That looks like it will hold and pass through the Foothills/Piedmont for the rest of this evening especially since the boundary is still hanging around here supporting these storms.

just got stuck in a pretty bad hailstorm. they were the size of marbles at times, a nd a little larger. Not far from the house on 180 south of Shelby a couple miles. No precip at my house, or hail. Just barely missed it. I've got it on video, so uploading at the moment. Was the best hailstorm I've seen in a while.

I just do not see this happening in the upstate of SC. The storms have turned a little but not enough to impact anyone SW of I-26. Except for that one weakening storm near Laurens.

It's going to be a long night...lol

Nice video Robert :thumbsup:

Seems like everything is lining up right behind where the front settled in today. So close!

I see black clouds to my east as a nice storm builds across the river in Richland co :( ...currently it's 88deg with the sun shining brightly :sun:

Just got more hail with torrential rainfall but nothing like the first one. Still had a few around an inch.

looks like you've had round after round. That next round should drop a little further southwest and hit here. I just missed a major hailstorm by only 3 miles a few minutes ago. I'm hoping to avoid hail here at the house, all the azaleas are opening.

Wow, that's crazy!

He told me he found a bigger one and put it in the freezer. He said it had about 30 minutes to melt before he picked it up. Anyways, he just sent me the picture of it!:lmao:

His house is located about 3 miles ENE of Clover,SC next to Lake Wylie.

post-309-0-57686000-1302391441.jpg

First cell moved through and wasn't to impressive..heavy rain and lighting were the highlights.Second cell is now approaching and seems to mean more business.Got dark really quick and the wind started picking up more intensity.Just started pouring now and the thunder seemed to arrive with it.

Got a video up showing a couple of CG bolts that struck during Round 1 coming through Gastonia. I'm currently working on the second one featuring the hailstorm that occurred with the first storm.

Also, if anyone's thinking we're done after 3 rounds, guess again. The next one is on board heading due southeast for the Piedmont and like some of these storms, they all have made these southward shifts and is a good indicator of rotation occurring.

a284lj.jpg

Archived