• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weather Disco for April 9, 2011

Wow

Got a video up showing a couple of CG bolts that struck during Round 1 coming through Gastonia. I'm currently working on the second one featuring the hailstorm that occurred with the first storm.

Also, if anyone's thinking we're done after 3 rounds, guess again. The next one is on board heading due southeast for the Piedmont and like some of these storms, they all have made these southward shifts and is a good indicator of rotation occurring.

Nice vid of the bolts. I'm hearing thunder now from the storms dropping south from Marion. Hopefully they don't fizzle.

I have yet to receive any rain.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He told me he found a bigger one and put it in the freezer. He said it had about 30 minutes to melt before he picked it up. Anyways, he just sent me the picture of it!:lmao:

His house is located about 3 miles ENE of Clover,SC next to Lake Wylie.

Holy s**t! Save that one to show to the weather service! That's gotta be close to a record for SC!

Looks like robert's backyard is getting pummeled right now. Hopefully it doesn't have too much damage.

I'm getting slammed! Been 8 minutes straight with hail. Now I hear a constant jet engine roar just not even 2 miles to my southeast. Sounds like a jet just thrusting constantly....never heard thunder like that.

videos of hail coming.

Man, I'm very jealous of my carolina friends. I'm absolutely AMAZED at the size of the hail that has been reported. Also amazed at how well the storms are managing to not only survive but strengthen after they leave the mountains...don't see it to this degree very often.

Was hoping we would somehow manage something here being in the slight risk area but it doesn't look very likely..just too much convective inhibition this far sw. Only chance is if a heck of an outflow boundary manages to make it this far..which again is unlikely I would guess.

But kudos to those enjoying these monsters, just hope you guys escape any serious damage.

Just had the heaviest rainfall rate I've ever recorded. .90" fell in 12 minutes. I'm sure the hail somehow affects that, but its a cocorah's guage, and thats what I'm recording so far.

Amazing stuff. Man you have really scored big of late. Congrats man. :thumbsup:

Just had the heaviest rainfall rate I've ever recorded. .90" fell in 12 minutes. I'm sure the hail somehow affects that, but its a cocorah's guage, and thats what I'm recording so far.

If anyone deserves it, it's YOU Robert. Congratulations! The third cell is approaching from the NW, and I've already had the hail and lots of lightning. It's a real show to the north. All the rain barrels are full again... Loved your vids! Be safe.....

Amazing stuff. Man you have really scored big of late. Congrats man. :thumbsup:

thanks! I'm enjoying the heck out of it. The discussion from GSP and the corfidi vector guiding was spot on. The storm motions did turn south once they got into eastern TN, and thats when it really slammed here. Just east of here got trained several times. Now I'm getting trained. Its very nice....almost as good as snow!

If anyone deserves it, it's YOU Robert. Congratulations! The third cell is approaching from the NW, and I've already had the hail and lots of lightning. It's a real show to the north. All the rain barrels are full again... Loved your vids! Be safe.....

Thanks. This has been a wild day for sure. Two major storms with all kinds of crazy weather with in one week..whats the chances. This county has been hit really, really hard twice now. The clean up is going to equal a bad icestorm I think after tonights storms. Its dark and can't see much other than debris in my front yard, but I'm sure there's going to be a lot of tree damage again. I'd be happy with just rain. The hail actually didn't hurt the azaleas , or I can't see that much yet.

thanks! I'm enjoying the heck out of it. The discussion from GSP and the corfidi vector guiding was spot on. The storm motions did turn south once they got into eastern TN, and thats when it really slammed here. Just east of here got trained several times. Now I'm getting trained. Its very nice....almost as good as snow!

Thanks. This has been a wild day for sure. Two major storms with all kinds of crazy weather with in one week..whats the chances. This county has been hit really, really hard twice now. The clean up is going to equal a bad icestorm I think after tonights storms. Its dark and can't see much other than debris in my front yard, but I'm sure there's going to be a lot of tree damage again. I'd be happy with just rain. The hail actually didn't hurt the azaleas , or I can't see that much yet.

Congrats Robert :thumbsup::hug: I hope you don't pull a muscle while doing your happy dance :lol::P:wub:

Glad there are alternate radar sites like local news and WeatherTAP... RAX has been down since 8:04PM. We just picked up 1.07" in 80 minutes with the storm/band that passed through here. Not 'FoothillsNC' rates, but still impressive. Good to see much of the drought areas getting some relief again tonight. Will be interesting to read about the hail damage reports from those severe storms to the South. Hope none of you were affected too badly.

still thundering and pouring...just when I thought it was over, it keeps re-building. I'm amazed at the hail reports all around. I never recall seeing hail so widespread as this, and certainly nowhere near as large as all the reports that keep coming in. Its very widespread between Charlotte and Asheville and either side of 40.

WOW...what a day folks!!!

My cell phone has been blowing up with people sending pics of hail covering the ground all across McDowell County today. Golf ball size hail seemed to be the common size, didn't see anything much larger than that. IMBY is has a been a really weird day. As many as 3 warned storms missed me to the north, west and south. Then we had the one storm that began to show rotation around 4 pm. The second storm that had a couplet on the radar dropped out of Yancey and Mitchell Counties shortly after 6:30. I was actually in Hickory at the time of that storm, it was scary down there as well. But the 2nd tornado warning for McDowell went between 1 and 1.5 miles east of IMBY. It dropped quite an impressive line of hail along US 221 into Downtown Marion. After looks at the radar, I'm really shocked that last cell did not produce at least a funnel cloud.

Archived