Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
New England 4/4 - 4/6

Arnold214

The front end thump in MI today...

SPECI KHTL 031812Z AUTO 15013G21KT 1/4SM +TSSN FG OVC003 01/M01 A2978 RMK AO2 TSB06 PRESFR P0005

SPECI KTVC 031850Z 14008G19KT 2 1/2SM -TSSN BR SCT013CB OVC044 02/00METAR

KGLR 031953Z AUTO 15011G17KT 1/4SM VCTS SN FG OVC005 00/M01

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

Last day at Wachusett. Sad to see them close with side to side coverage on 21 of 22 trails. Plenty of snow left

We actually were some of the last few people to ride up the lift (maybe 3rd or 4th last chair). Bluebird skies, warmish temps... very fun.

From the summit you could see the slopes at Stratton Mt 67 miles away! Cool

Congrats on reaching your goal. :)

The front end thump in MI today...

SPECI KHTL 031812Z AUTO 15013G21KT 1/4SM +TSSN FG OVC003 01/M01 A2978 RMK AO2 TSB06 PRESFR P0005

SPECI KTVC 031850Z 14008G19KT 2 1/2SM -TSSN BR SCT013CB OVC044 02/00METAR

KGLR 031953Z AUTO 15011G17KT 1/4SM VCTS SN FG OVC005 00/M01

That would be nice. Slide some of that over this way.

60-61 also had the early ending, but it was a better winter with more extreme cold and 3 KU events, all of which delivered 18"+ here. The arctic outbreak in late January 1961 was epic. Many places in NNJ had 40" snow depths after the 2/4 storm and over 100" seasonal total.

This is a SNE thread though as Will said not as spectacular, sort of like comparing 09/10 NJ to SNE

I am ready for Spring now. Still some snow hanging on in the yard and woods.

Lawn looks like crap.

Congrats on the goal, great winter. We have to get together next year! SR is wide open, must be sweet and soft. Wish I had some time off, would be a great April trip, but have to save some time for July 4 th camping week, conference and the August week in RI. So ready for baseball, women's team I coach looks great this year, looking to repeat. Might have Ginxed myself but snowblower went into storage this morning.

Out of context as the discussion was between Jerry and I about NJ and SRI.

60-61 isn't that different from this winter here...both were pretty awesome. Snow totals not far off. This year definitely beats 60-61 on the coastal plain of SNE...no doubt about it.

+NAO, huge 50/50 low, big +PNA/-EPO. The +NAO was so big it lowered heights in the 50/50 region and allowed for a lot of coastals, pseudo-blocking pattern even with low heights over Greenland. Negative neutral ENSO year...

Wow nice, quite a kitchen soup. LR is such a crapshoot, wonder what the solar cycle was like, beginning to believe more and more that the big ole star is way understood in weather prediction.

Congrats on the goal, great winter. We have to get together next year! SR is wide open, must be sweet and soft. Wish I had some time off, would be a great April trip, but have to save some time for July 4 th camping week, conference and the August week in RI. So ready for baseball, women's team I coach looks great this year, looking to repeat. Might have Ginxed myself but snowblower went into storage this morning.

I'm booked until April 18, when it is school vacation, but by then almost everywhere is planning on being closed. Any idea when SR closes? hmmmmmmm

I might move the snowblower tomorrow... have not used it in a while (late Feb?) Did not even shovel/snowblow Friday with 8". When I got home from work, my driveway was pretty much just wet.

This is a SNE thread though as Will said not as spectacular, sort of like comparing 09/10 NJ to SNE

Wrong Steve. Most of SNE did beautifully in 1960-61 and when I first moved here at age 22, local weenies my age considered that the benchmark. SRI may have been subpar but the vast majority of SNE did very well. I think ACK had 30+ in the Feb 61 storm.

1960-61 totals in SNE:

BDL: 80.2

PVD: 62.7

BOS: 61.5

ORH: 104.3

That year had more snow for ORH, similar for BDL, 20% more for PVD, 25% less for BOS.

If you factor in the cold and the size and extent of KU coverage it was arguably a better year if you factor in modern snow measuring which yields way bigger totals vs yesteryear.

Wrong Steve. Most of SNE did beautifully in 1960-61 and when I first moved here at age 22, local weenies my age considered that the benchmark. SRI may have been subpar but the vast majority of SNE did very well. I think ACK had 30+ in the Feb 61 storm.

March 1960.

'60-'61 was epic in the interior, but from your area to Ray down to S RI...essentially most of the coastal plain...it was merely a very good winter. Not epic. Now if you include the March 1960 storm, then the one year period from Mar 1960 to Mar 1961 was epic...even on the coastal plain.

1960-61 totals in SNE:

BDL: 80.2

PVD: 62.7

BOS: 61.5

ORH: 104.3

That year had more snow for ORH, similar for BDL, 20% more for PVD, 25% less for BOS.

If you factor in the cold and the size and extent of KU coverage it was arguably a better year or at least similar.

Again we were talking about personal experiences, you said I would have liked 60/61 better. I said not where I was at the time. Also show me some depths of 38 inches at any other place besides ORH. Apples and oranges to me

March 1960.

'60-'61 was epic in the interior, but from your area to Ray down to S RI...essentially most of the coastal plain...it was merely a very good winter. Not epic. Now if you include the March 1960 storm, then the one year period from Mar 1960 to Mar 1961 was epic...even on the coastal plain.

Will, totals at the major climo sites suggest it was not as good along the east coast but similar along the S coast and better in the interior (or at least similar).

Again we were talking about personal experiences, you said I would have liked 60/61 better. I said not where I was at the time. Also show me some depths of 38 inches at any other place besides ORH. Apples and oranges to me

I don't think snow depth measurements are all that accurate and I don't look at them. But given the fact that places like ACK had 16 inches 1/20 and 14.4 2/4 and it was subfreezing in between with some sub zero nights I have to figure there was some widespread deep snow.

I don't think snow depth measurements are all that accurate and I don't look at them. But given the fact that places like ACK had 16 inches 1/20 and 14.4 2/4 and it was subfreezing in between with some sub zero nights I have to figure there was some widespread deep snow.

NW CT was absolutely pummeled in 1961

Greatest daily Snow Depth

55 065445 NORFOLK 2 SW CT 02/05/1961 57 1942-2006

Archived