Newest Member
    joxey
New England 4/4 - 4/6

Arnold214

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice about 2 inches here..Would be nice to see

Is there anything at all about warm weather and the gentile nature of summer that you like - anything at all?

I really think it could be July 1st and some exotic once in a thousand year anomaly passing by, and you'd honestly say the same darn thing - wow

Is there anything at all about warm weather and the gentile nature of summer that you like - anything at all?

I really think it could be July 1st and some exotic once in a thousand year anomaly passing by, and you'd honestly say the same darn thing - wow

No, in the summer he is obsessed about heat waves and convection

Summer is nice...great time to be outdoors in SNE (most of the time...the few 90F days we get I'll pass)...however, there is really nothing anomalous about a 81F partly cloudy day. I'd think it was the coolest thing to get snow in June.

Euro is even more bullish now with a secondary wave. It argues a few to perhaps several inches over the interior, and even to the coast.

Now we know these setups can fail, but the 12z run got interesting. It did take some away for Monday morning.

The Euro has been on and off with this type of thing for the last few days...especially up this way. You get enough amplification to the trough to turn this into an anafrontal overunning deal...with cold air slowly bleeding in from the west. Not sure the BL will cool fast enough for anything decent, but it has been on the table.

Summer is nice...great time to be outdoors in SNE (most of the time...the few 90F days we get I'll pass)...however, there is really nothing anomalous about a 81F partly cloudy day. I'd think it was the coolest thing to get snow in June.

You would have been in your glory in 1816 , maybe your reincarnated from that period.

On this side of the Atlantic, many residents of New England and the Canadian Maritimes froze to death, starved, or suffered from severe malnutrition as storms–bringing a foot or more of snow– hit hard during May and June. Many others from the region pulled up their stakes and moved to Western New York and the Midwest, where the cold was less severe. In fact, the year without a summer is now believed to have been one major catalyst in the westward expansion of the United States.

Though the northeastern section of the continent was hardest hit, southern states still experienced their share of the cold. On July 4th of that year, for instance, the high temperature in Savannah, Georgia, was a chilly 46° F. As far south as Pennsylvania, lakes and rivers were frozen over during July and August.

You would have been in your glory in 1816 , maybe your reincarnated from that period.

On this side of the Atlantic, many residents of New England and the Canadian Maritimes froze to death, starved, or suffered from severe malnutrition as storms–bringing a foot or more of snow– hit hard during May and June. Many others from the region pulled up their stakes and moved to Western New York and the Midwest, where the cold was less severe. In fact, the year without a summer is now believed to have been one major catalyst in the westward expansion of the United States.

Though the northeastern section of the continent was hardest hit, southern states still experienced their share of the cold. On July 4th of that year, for instance, the high temperature in Savannah, Georgia, was a chilly 46° F. As far south as Pennsylvania, lakes and rivers were frozen over during July and August.

Talk about toaster baths, if that happened again there would be massive Jim Jones cult suicides from the warministas. I would love to ski in July and August.

The Euro has been on and off with this type of thing for the last few days...especially up this way. You get enough amplification to the trough to turn this into an anafrontal overunning deal...with cold air slowly bleeding in from the west. Not sure the BL will cool fast enough for anything decent, but it has been on the table.

Cool..thanks

May 1967 was probably the closest thing to complete misery for warm weather lovers in more recent times. It was about 7F below average over most of New England and it had 2 separate accumulating snow events...the latter on May 25-26, 1967...pretty amazing. May '77 had the amazing anomalous cutoff, but it became very warm after that and the month wasn't even below average I don't think...I think it ended up as warmer than average.

May 1967 was probably the closest thing to complete misery for warm weather lovers in more recent times. It was about 7F below average over most of New England and it had 2 separate accumulating snow events...the latter on May 25-26, 1967...pretty amazing. May '77 had the amazing anomalous cutoff, but it became very warm after that and the month wasn't even below average I don't think...I think it ended up as warmer than average.

Was it 09 that was like 40 s July 4th.we were camping in RI and it was just miserable

Yeah May '67 was -6.2 at BDL. May 1917 was -8.9 in Hartford!

I am so pleased the Eastern DB is back, valuable research done can be recaptured. From Will and what's coming. Do not discount more snow for you CNE NNE folks

FINAL Updated Total # of events by MJO phase:

Phase 1: 13

Phase 2: 23

Phase 3: 17

Phase 4: 10

Phase 5: 12

Phase 6: 11

Phase 7: 18

Phase 8: 26

42d4d0af-d69d-97c0.jpg

The late winter/spring of 1967 was particularly cold. February and March 1967 had 56" of snow here in Dobbs Ferry, bringing the total to 70", quite a feat considering only 14" had fallen by February 1st. Snowfall accumulated to about 0.2" here on 4/24/1967, the latest accumulating snowfall in Dobbs Ferry's recent history. Parts of NNJ saw snow on 4/27/1967, accumulating up to 4" in the higher elevation areas. Dobbs Ferry recorded a trace for that event, I believe. May 1967 had an average temperature of only 55.2F at Central Park, the coldest May of the decade by over 4F...most Mays average in the low 60s for Central Park as the average high reaches almost 80F by the end of the month. 1967 was a much more sustained cold pattern than 1977, in which the extreme cold of that winter returned for just one storm on May 10th but then faded into a spring that was otherwise known for anomalous warmth. March 1977 also had some record highs, I believe. The 5/10/77 storm was remarkable in that Slide Mountain reported about 20" snowfall...even down here, flakes flew in Westchester with 850mb temperatures near -7C.

Great article with some cool Met readings from 1816

http://www.islandnet...istory/1816.htm

I wish we could go back to this climate, although it would be devastating for international agriculture. The series of snowstorms in June 1816 in Quebec is just amazing...the combination of Tambora and the Dalton Minimum, as well as several smaller volcanoes, really did a number on the climate. Winter 1816-17 was one of the harshest on record, just brutal.

Dave, I skied WaWa last night...it was amazing...at first it was slow going skiing through sticky mashed potatoes...but the temp dropped to freezing near the base and a tad below at the summit...snow became steady...the trees near the summit were coated with ice and snow...and then the lights came on and it was beautiful seeing the snow in the lights, and the snow got a little quicker as the temp dropped...

it was the perfect conditions for me to ski both black diamonds...there was no way with that snow i was going to get super fast out of control and it was really good for digging your edges into so i could do my weenie turns on the steep steep parts and not have my skis slide out from under me!!

I skied tonight for a couple hours... we saw a rainbow as we drove towards the hill.

Back for more abuse Sunday for the close of the season.

My dog just chewed the leg off one of my daughter's princess dolls... he hadn't eaten a toy on 5 years+... he is in big trouble when she wakes up

I tested some of the non-groomed stuff near the summit, there was still a good 7-8" of "new" so I do not doubt they got 12" on Friday.

Ya know the reason I am so happy to retrieve some documents and pics from Eastern is because I never got to save pics like this. Louis Uccelini and Paul Kocin, check out the name tags 06 Baltimore

This was a cool post:

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:21 AMsnapback.pngCentralMA_Wx, on 29 August 2010 - 10:11 AM, said:

Dude, I cringed whenever you'd start talking loud - that family behind you was casting some glances! I was just hoping you didn't blurt the 'R' word.

Bliss yelling at Jerry if he would bang the Gulf of Alaska several times was mint.

He is exactly how I envisioned him... Just a bit nicer I guess, but very...ummmm... Bold?

Archived