12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
New England 4/4 - 4/6

Arnold214

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's right though....weak El Nino is easily the best enso state here. Doesn't mean others don't work...just which one is the most favorable.

Just seems ironic this year. I am sure weak is best but right now today after having the best six week period of my life with a mod to strong Nina and a mod NEG NAO, I will take that combo over any. 1 year of data does not make a best state I know, but I have 54 years of data sets in my brain, never seen it before down here anyways. Chicken,Egg but to me the NAO rules at least in CT.

Just seems ironic this year. I am sure weak is best but right now today after having the best six week period of my life with a mod to strong Nina and a mod NEG NAO, I will take that combo over any. 1 year of data does not make a best state I know, but I have 54 years of data sets in my brain, never seen it before down here anyways. Chicken,Egg but to me the NAO rules at least in CT.

Steve, it's too bad you can't remember 1960-61. 12/10/60-2/10/61 outdid this year in terms of cold and snow. Yes amounts are higher this year but memory suggests that's entirely due to modern measurement techniques. This year was epic but that year was better I believe. Why? Because the cold was unreal...and 3 SERIOUS KU's with 2 foot amounts commonplace in 2 of them is pretty amazing.

Well on the flip side of the coin, you have last year's -NAO abortion in Ferbuary/March

You always do this...dunno whether it's an age thing or what, but you take one tiny snippet of an anomaly and run away with it.

Well on the flip side of the coin, you have last year's -NAO abortion in Ferbuary/March

More often than not, neg NAO is favorable and weak Ninos are favorable.....he has this NAO fetish and always goes on a crusade to combat any assertion that any other atmospheric state can be favorable, in and of itself and independant of the NAO.

Here is a thought....imagine what could have been if ENSO was less assertive this season....mabbe we don't have that 6 week period of puke and we smash 1996.

NAO is definitely one of the most important factors, but it is not the only one and doesn't ALWAYS override everthing else.

Yeah you never know...March 2011 maybe ends up like March '96 or even better...Mar '93 or something if enso is weak. We'll never know though.

Yeah you never know...March 2011 maybe ends up like March '96 or even better...Mar '93 or something if enso is weak. We'll never know though.

I have never had a better 1.5 day stretch than March 31-April 1, 1997....+NAO rules and April is the snowiest month.

30 years of data sets in my head tell me that.

Steve, it's too bad you can't remember 1960-61. 12/10/60-2/10/61 outdid this year in terms of cold and snow. Yes amounts are higher this year but memory suggests that's entirely due to modern measurement techniques. This year was epic but that year was better I believe. Why? Because the cold was unreal...and 3 SERIOUS KU's with 2 foot amounts commonplace in 2 of them is pretty amazing.

Living in SRI at the time, 45 inches 60/61 Meh

Living in SRI at the time, 45 inches 60/61 Meh

60-61 wasn't that amazing for extreme coastal SNE even up to about Logan Airport. You had to be off the water a bit in that season to get amazing totals unlike down in NJ where Jerry was at the time. Good year no doubt, but not epic in SNE...until you got back this way.

You always do this...dunno whether it's an age thing or what, but you take one tiny snippet of an anomaly and run away with it.

Fact niño state is not the king up here, if it was then LR would be easy. Figure out the NAO in the heart of winter, nail it. No coincidence our winter went south when the phase change happened. IDK how being 54 affects my judgement either, still sharp as a tack.

More often than not, neg NAO is favorable and weak Ninos are favorable.....he has this NAO fetish and always goes on a crusade to combat any assertion that any other atmospheric state can be favorable, in and of itself and independant of the NAO.

Provide stats that show a constant neutral or positive NAO and a great overall winter. Individual storms sure, but let's be real, cold, snow cover, constant depth winters feature Neg NAO.

Fact niño state is not the king up here, if it was then LR would be easy. Figure out the NAO in the heart of winter, nail it. No coincidence our winter went south when the phase change happened. IDK how being 54 affects my judgement either, still sharp as a tack.

NAO may have a higher correlation to snow up here than ENSO state (not sure), but ENSO also plays a large role.

There is a reason why we had never seen anything like this year in a strong la Nina, before.

There is a reason why the 1993-94 winter rocked and December of 2007 rocked....NAO is a very large factor, but it's not the only major factor........NAO is gratly affected by ENSO, which is why it is more difficult for it to assume a negative state in strong NEG ENSO event.

All I mean regarding the age is that often times the older generations will be less receptive to statistical analysis depend more on anecdotal observations.

Nothing to do with the erosion of mental capactity.

Fact.

I'm pretty confident that the NAO would have met less resistance in it's effort to return to a negative state, had ENSO been less of a factor....does that necessarily mean that we would have seen a signifacant deal of additional snow, no.

Opinions are like eekholes everyone has one. No way to back up your confidence or mine that the change in AO state was the real cause of winter crapping out.

Provide stats that show a constant neutral or positive NAO and a great overall winter. Individual storms sure, but let's be real, cold, snow cover, constant depth winters feature Neg NAO.

NAO may have a higher correlation to snow up here than ENSO state (not sure), but ENSO also plays a large role.

There is a reason why we had never seen anything like this year in a strong la Nina, before.

There is a reason why the 1993-94 winter rocked and December of 2007 rocked....NAO is a very large factor, but it's not the only major factor........NAO is gratly affected by ENSO, which is why it is more difficult for it to assume a negative state in strong NEG ENSO event.

All I mean regarding the age is that often times the older generations will be less receptive to statistical analysis depend more on anecdotal observations.

Fact.

Look it up.

Fact.

Phew I thought you were calling me an old fook.

Fact.

FACT.

NOT OPINION.

Archived