e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Tulip Trouncer 5........The Comeback

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its more "dry air advection"...lot of dry air to our E and NE....dewpoint is rising now that the precip started.

If you look at the past few hours of observations at ORH and surrounding sites, it seems unlikely to be the result of dry air advection. If anything, moisture content has been increasing slightly.

Similar temp drops have been occurring throughout the region, without a corresponding increase in DP temp, just as precipitation moves into the area. Hence thermodynamic processes seem more likely the cause.

Yeah I think this storm probably has a few tricks up its sleeve. We probably won't see the huge 18"+ potential that we had a day ago (except maybe for some lucky spots in Maine), but it should be a fun event to track. Hopefully we get a nice commahead going tonight.

Its funny how I never really even considered getting into the commahead, but now we can given the SE trend.

The more I look at things... I think a lot of you guys have a fun storm later this evening and tonight. If you look at the 3-hour charts, it does warm up south of the Mass Pike but a good bulk of the precip (WCB stuff) has already fallen before the warmth floods in (or more trickles in as the cold air fights back near I-90). Once you except this won't be a widespread 12-18", it looks to be a fun April 1st snowfall. Parts of central/eastern SNE are lined up to get a big omega/qpf blast tonight, and that should pile up the snow even in low elevations... especially if some of the .5-.75"+/6hrly precip amounts pan out. I bet there are a few surprises left here before the warm air moves in (if it does at all from Tolland to BOS).

If you look at the past few hours of observations at ORH and surrounding sites, it seems unlikely to be the result of dry air advection. If anything, moisture content has been increasing slightly.

Similar temp drops have been occurring throughout the region, without a corresponding increase in DP temp, just as precipitation moves into the area. Hence thermodynamic processes seem more likely the cause.

You can get a dry air component on a E or NE wind while moisture is increasing from the south....thats actually how we managed to have an icestorm at 30-31F for 18 straight hours back in Dec 2008 without latently heating to 32.01.

Maybe that isn't the cause right now, I'm not sure, but its certainly possible to get that.

But it's much cooler just aloft. While your WB might be 34, aloft the WB is probably 26 or so. That cold might make it's way to the surface and the overall column will cool as well. That's usually how it works.

This.

Plus latent heat sink from melting. It's occurring at every reporting site just before precip onset. Some dry air well to the NE, but that's not the primary cause of cooling.

Yeah we have a nearly perfect upslope wind for E slopes of Monads and ORH hills...so hopefully we have sufficient moisture tonight and it should be able to work to our advantage.

Ahh the beautiful forced ascent causing the atmosphere to cool a bit more locally... I think you're going to get crushed tonight. Double digits still definitely in the cards for ORH at almost 1,000ft.

Archived