• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Potential widespread snow event for Wednesday Night through Thursday.

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Will..if you see this, what would you say was the best thing that you took away from the SWFE of the winters of '07-'08 and '08-'09? In other words, what really benefited you from these discussions and forecasting SWFE?

I wasn't on the boards until '08, but I did creep around and lurk during '07. I guess a couple of things I took from those events were timing, mixing, and model biases. The model biases were pretty evident in '07-'08. Once we got the -PNA/+NAO pattern, the GFS was always too far southeast, the NAM too cold even 24 hrs out, and the euro seemed to have the best handle on the sleet line flying northeast. Every storm was a little different, but the rule that I have of a sneaky warm layer above 800mb always trying to ruin the party, actually came from those storms..lol. It worked with the second part of 2/2 this year. There are others, but I'm curious as to what you took the most out of those winters. I really wish I was on in '07-'08. My first real met discussion was during the icestorm and I thought the post mortem was just a classic. I hope you saved some of the dialogue.

BUF pulled off 7" some parts of Alleghany County, NY had almost 10"...I ended with a dusting...and Greensburg, PA got a tornado.

Seriously...seems like everyone got some exciting weather out of this except SNE. My facebook was lit up yesterday with everything from near blizzard conditions in the Midwest to school/closing from heavy snow in eastern PA and NNJ to Thundersnow/sleet in NJ and LI to wind and hailstorms in Pittsburgh. Thankfully we still squeezed out about 1.5" here overnight, which was more than seemed to be shaping up when I went to bed last night.

Just west of Worcester we had a trace...as went south on 395 towards Webster there is nadda. My friend in Westerly, RI had about 3" and my folks in Ledyard, CT had @ 2". Just the opposite of the last event. At least I was able to put my new Davis Vantage View wireless weather station on the roof without slipping and sliding. Highly recommend this unit...works like a charm.

Bring on summer!

1" Exactly overnight ............72+ for the season and incredibly only 5.7 inches of snow has fallen here since Feb 1st!!!! What a Jan!

Imagine if we didnt have Jan....I'll take the inch from last night-given that it's 3/23-24 and March's have sucked of late, I'm happy. Melting fast now that the sun has come out...

Imagine if we didnt have Jan....I'll take the inch from last night-given that it's 3/23-24 and March's have sucked of late, I'm happy. Melting fast now that the sun has come out...

OTOH, imagine if this March were epic instead of an utter failure...

That is what makes years like '04-05 and '95-96 '93'94 much better winters to me. 95-96 had very productive late winter systems, where twice a week we had 3-6" events, sometimes more it seemed. It wasn't one or two months (depending on location) and done.

Winter for you and I was 5 weeks long, but thats ok, what a ride it was, probably never have snowpack like that around here for a long time! Glad I took so many pics, I forgot how quickly coatings melt in March, snow is just evaporating, should be all gone by about 1pm or so.

Perspective is big. If I play that card, then I can compare it to years like Feb '07 where my area had a crap mixed event on 2/14. That was pretty much it.

Of course I was disappointed to see the torch and yes winter definitely came down from the epic stretch, but I still had over 18" for the month. It's easy to get enthralled by the epic stretch we had and then feel left with a bitter taste in our mouth when we come down from the winter high of January..but it actually was a wintry month.

BTW, I meant compare it to Feb '07 as to say that this feb would seem epic compared to that year. I just read through this again and it didn't seem clear.

It's the sick politics here and not going to change. Just stay out of anything personal except those that understand the joking nature and cynical remarks...you know who can laugh it off and who will actually get confrontational by now..

Also, look at who you are dealing with....let's just say moms basement gets uncomfortable after 30 years or so, hence the arrogance and pseudo intellectual garb :arrowhead:

Once again, your tired little, thinly valed act of going personal; pretty obvious you're speaking of me and are too big of a coward to be up front.

I'm waiting to take the police exam in 1 month and looking into any other opportunities in the mean time; not sure what is so dire about have reached a temporary impasse in life after having attainted disabled veteran status and a graduate degree.

My living situation is that my mother lives in the basement and I will simply assume the mortgage when I get settled in a career and become financially stable enough to do so; as for being single, that is by choice and is of no bussiness of your's. Forgive me for not burdening society with children that I am ill equipped to provide for.

Stop being a bit** and being so obscure about it if you would like to take personal jabs.

Ray...you owe no one here an explanation of your personal life and I'm a bit disgusted how some of the posts in this thread have turned since last night. Busts on this forum can really bring out the worst in some people. Oye.

I know I don't, but socially inept cowards like him inconspicuously call me out, I feel obliged to respond......not pressured.

Pretty clear to see who the problem people are in these threads; you will never see me attack folks in the manner that some have attacked me.

Ray...you owe no one here an explanation of your personal life and I'm a bit disgusted how some of the posts in this thread have turned since last night. Busts on this forum can really bring out the worst in some people. Oye.

I agree..can you even call what happened yesterday a bust? I mean EVERYONE even god had 3-6 for CT with 4-8 in the hills.. that's not a bust.. Its not like wcvb called for 4-8 and CBS called for 1-3.. everyone had the same thing..

DT had 3-6 for the white mountains lol.. if anyone busted it was him

not sure that kind of stuff should be tolerated, really.

I'm pretty boisterous on here....I call other folks out and also volunteer alot of personal info, so some of that is my fault.....but all I ask is if you're going to go there, be conspicuous and not make these indirect references.....and then when someone mentions it respond with "HUH"....like, "who, me".

THAT is what makes me sick; if you're a terd, you're a terd, but at least have the ballz to be accountable for what you say.

I don't go into the other forums very much, but I wonder if it gets this bad over in like the M.A. forum, etc.?

i know direct and indirect attacks wouldnt be tolerated in the Central forum or the upstate forum. not sure about NYC and MA.

this place is unique though because a lot of you know each other personally.

still unfortunate though.

I know I don't, but socially inept cowards like him inconspicuously call me out, I feel obliged to respond......not pressured.

Pretty clear to see who the problem people are in these threads; you will never see me attack folks in the manner that some have attacked me.

Ray, take the high road and ignore. Anyone that meets you can tell your a decent bloke.

Archived