• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential widespread snow event for Wednesday Night through Thursday.

CoastalWx

Wow, that's literally white-out conditions in late April, unreal. That 1/16SM reading looks look something you'd see in the Dakotas, though I guess it's similar to what happened in Boxing Day here. Did any snow make it to NYC metro or the Poconos from that storm? It's interesting how much we talk about the late-March sun angle as an unfavorable factor, but then we look at these storms like 4/28/87 and 5/10/77 and realize that it's all about the strength of the upper-level cold pool and precipitation rates, which can easily overcome even a summertime sun if you have a bit of elevation. Wasn't there a big one in the Whites on 5/28-29 one year?

What caused the dendrites to be "hooked together" in the December 1997 storm? Was that a product of how close together they were being formed by the intense condensation in that type of storm, so they just got stuck like aggregates but except dry? I've never seen a radar image like that except when it's bright-banding; I think the hardest snows I've seen here are around 40dbz like during the Snowicane and then the band that went over NYC late in the evening of the 1/27 storm.

I think there was only one other time that I remember dendrites sort of hooked together...2/7/03. Basically you have such perfect dendritic growth, that the crystal structure is spaced out with plenty of air space and other dendrites can actually hook together. There might be a static type attraction as well that helps out. It's not too common and mostly occurs when winds are lighter, but pretty impressive event.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived