• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Next storm on the list, March 6-7

Typhoon Tip

I don't know how the hell it survived. It was 50 with 2+ inches of rain and roraring sou easterlies all night

33.6 now

The snow is glaciated..very icy and takes a lot of energy to melt it. When I saw how much my folks had after two torches, I figured your snow should have some staying power.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible rainfall overnight. As of 0800, two day total rainfall is at 3.50". I can not believe the amount of snow left on the ground after all of this rain. Backyard, facing east, depth is 12" - 16". Front yard, facing west, depth is 8" - 12". I should say part of front yard is flooded.

Picture below is a grab from my weather station software.

03-07-2011-Rainfall.jpg

Incredible rainfall overnight. As of 0800, two day total rainfall is at 3.50". I can not believe the amount of snow left on the ground after all of this rain. Backyard, facing east, depth is 12" - 16". Front yard, facing west, depth is 8" - 12". I should say part of front yard is flooded.

Picture below is a grab from my weather station software.

I'm surprised by the amount of remaining snowcover as well. I was in the mid-40s for most of yesterday with snow-eating ground fog (pretty dense in areas - under 100 yd vis) and figured snowpack would be reduced to under 20" but evidently that sleet storm we had last week provided a shield. I'll be able to walk on it tonight as we plummet to the single digits for overnight lows. Lots of standing water on the roads today, and with temperatures falling as the day progresses it may turn into an interesting evening commute, though the road crews will have all day to spread sand. Perhaps a couple inches o' snow with the next system before it, too, turns to rain. That time of year, just have to accept it.

I'm surprised by the amount of remaining snowcover as well. I was in the mid-40s for most of yesterday with snow-eating ground fog (pretty dense in areas - under 100 yd vis) and figured snowpack would be reduced to under 20" but evidently that sleet storm we had last week provided a shield. I'll be able to walk on it tonight as we plummet to the single digits for overnight lows. Lots of standing water on the roads today, and with temperatures falling as the day progresses it may turn into an interesting evening commute, though the road crews will have all day to spread sand. Perhaps a couple inches o' snow with the next system before it, too, turns to rain. That time of year, just have to accept it.

I hear you! I was actually shocked when I woke up this a.m. to see that we retained as much snow cover here as we did. Yesterday's high here was 47.9°F with heavy fog for most of the day.

Not much, Scott. Just a glaze. Suspect further west (Charlemont/Hawley/Rowe) had more ice as there's a 2-hour delay for my daughter.

I think temps were borderline for you, so that probably cut back on accretion..as did the heavy rain. Still quite the temp contrast, but now the colder air is rushing east.

Nothing is more painful than missing a 20"+ storm by a matter of 50-60 miles or so.:axe: Mid-30s and heavy rain all night transitioned to a light ZR, IP before changing a light SN earlier this morning. Minor glaze now getting coated by some snow showers with nice dendrites on the southern edge of the comma head. 23.0 degrees.

This is about as bad as the pattern can get right now save for the 01-02 winter disaster. Given the strong Nina, this is the pattern I was anticipating we'd be in for the better part of the cold season. It's just that our friend the -AO stayed around about a month longer than many mets thought it would, giving us the great run through early Feb. We'll see if cutoff low season can dish up a nice surprise a la April Fools 1997. That's pretty much our last hope for SNE. March sucks...

Best I could tell we have up to 26 inches on the ground. There was quite a bit of drifting with this storm and my dog was running around in the back last week so finding an undisturbed accurate area to measure is getting tougher.

Archived