12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 28 potential ice discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would take an all out torch and rain to melt all that snow. However given the snowpack now and the snow NNE will have in the next few weeks...I hope we have a slow meltdown. It could be real ugly if we get a classic wet spring cutoff.

Kind of sad you didn't include SNE in getting snow over the next few weeks. You're getting off the train

I'm really interested to see how ORH and the hills do this morning. Could be real nasty.

I'm going ot make the drive back as soon as it improves up here a bit. But everyone for now is starting off really cold. But the CP should begin to moderate fairly rapidly once we turn the wind more E.

Drove from Sudbury to Lowell between 6:30-7:30

Started with IP/ZRA, then more ZRA in Acton/Chelmsford......but it has changed to a fine snow in Lowell. It's real snow, just small flakes.

Could this be produced at very low altitude, below the warm layer?

I've heard of that, but haven't seen a clear case myself.

Drove from Sudbury to Lowell between 6:30-7:30

Started with IP/ZRA, then more ZRA in Acton/Chelmsford......but it has changed to a fine snow in Lowell. It's real snow, just small flakes.

Could this be produced at very low altitude, below the warm layer?

I've heard of that, but haven't seen a clear case myself.

I've seen it happen before. We had an event back in January 1995 in ORH where we were ZR and freezing DZ and even some pellets...then we got a period of these very fine misty snow flakes. I think 850 temps were like +6 or something. We had a very light E flow at the sfc so the precip was likely formed very low and probably it was cold enough in the 925mb range to form some poor ice crystals being enhanced by some upslope. Usually you want the larger scale synoptic precip to be shut off to get that I would think.

I'm still up on N Chelmsford and havent drivne back to ORH yet and we have had those misty snow flakes you describe, but its definitely mixed with a freezing drizzle or FZRA as there is a light glaze on all surfaces...but the cars and sidewalk are also getting a fine white dusting on them too from this "Snow mist".

Archived