• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 28 potential ice discussion

ORH_wxman

This may not be the right thread for this ...as we wrap up a pretty significant little ice storm for interior zones where a some pockets will undoubtedly verify warning criteria icing...

But the overnight runs really are trying to converge on a potential major flooding event in a week. Multiple runs of the GFS have had an afterthought amplitude running up just inland of I-95, and now most deterministic guidance have joined forces... Quasi close low approaches the SE U.S. coast and then runs up the western periphery of the west Atlantic seim-permanent ridge... That has huge PWAT transport implications, not too unlike what took place last year nearing the first week of March - interestingly enough. This time we have this monster snow pack sitting over still frozen earth. A 50F DP push to cental NE on southerly gales prior to baroclinic axis traversing the area, with Bermuda tap in WCB QPF wall has bad bad bad implicaitons.

Sounds great :arrowhead: Happy Sping.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there is a thread for this, but...

Some limited potential for squalls on Wednesday with the arctic front. We will have to see if the moisture trends a bit deeper as we draw closer. 500s are -25C to -30C but 700mb RH remains very dry, leading to total-totals only in the low 40s. Obviously, NW MA and northward would have the greatest potential.

Does anyone else ponder the crack pipe that the 42* forecast high is smoked from...

temps in binghamton, NY are in the mid 40's.......it may be a deal where we "mix out" inversion and get up into low 40's. i would hope i don't go any higher than 36/37.

trees are stil caked in snow

72 in dover, DE lol

temp kept droppin on car thermo on ride home from stoneham to w. framingham started at 36 w no snow on trees got to woburn and temp dropped to 34....stayed 34 until i was off 128S and onto pike west near natick.....then as i got off exit 12 it went to 32.....and as i pulled in it was 31/32. heavy icing on parked auto's.......not sure if it sleeted here for a while as well but looks like it may have....trees still caked with snow......lol big big winter not giving up easily .

Great report!!!! We need more of this on here.

random temps from around the way

tolland 37

mossup 44

w. framingham 32.2

bos 38

tan 42

foxborough 40

millis 34

wa wa 30

ray 32'ish

westport, ma 50F

dover de 72

What site did you find that Westport reading from?? The only non-buoy temp. reading I know of close to my area is the Newport state airport in Middletown but for some reason this reading always seems to be colder than the actual temp.

This may not be the right thread for this ...as we wrap up a pretty significant little ice storm for interior zones where a some pockets will undoubtedly verify warning criteria icing...

But the overnight runs really are trying to converge on a potential major flooding event in a week. Multiple runs of the GFS have had an afterthought amplitude running up just inland of I-95, and now most deterministic guidance have joined forces... Quasi close low approaches the SE U.S. coast and then runs up the western periphery of the west Atlantic seim-permanent ridge... That has huge PWAT transport implications, not too unlike what took place last year nearing the first week of March - interestingly enough. This time we have this monster snow pack sitting over still frozen earth. A 50F DP push to cental NE on southerly gales prior to baroclinic axis traversing the area, with Bermuda tap in WCB QPF wall has bad bad bad implicaitons.

Did you see the HPC prelim maps? Looked like a cold high trying to build in from Ontario with a low on the jersey shore. They like Euro Ensembles from 0Z

Right, didn't think of that.

Just think, since 8am this morning it has been between raining at 34-35F at the icebox of Saranac Lake, NY at 1,650ft in the northern Adirondacks... while pretty much all of New England east of the Green Mountain spine and Berkshire crest has remained in the 20s for the duration of precipitation. Albany issued flood advisories even for the Adirondacks, yet nothing even close to that over here in the Greens.

I never thought we'd get out of this one without any freezing rain. I guess ForkyFork was right up here, no significant icing, but not because models were too warm, but because it stayed all sleet and snow.

This storm was 75% sleet and 25% snow up here with 1-2" of accumulation this morning. The "new snow" is more like white sand.

Net gain FTW.

Did you see the HPC prelim maps? Looked like a cold high trying to build in from Ontario with a low on the jersey shore. They like Euro Ensembles from 0Z

I would pay a lot of money to take the 0z ECM ensembles over the last several runs of the GFS.

Lets just get this to keep trending southeast like the last few storms have.

Only diff is that we have a vomit airmass on the heels of this sytem; I likely hover around 33* until we abruptly mix @, later....prob make the 36* or so....

Logan is 39 and south winds now. I don't see this going much further at all. Maybe Kev touches 40, but I don't see this creeping nw much from here on out.

Archived