Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 28 potential ice discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all i got was rain today with some wet snowflakes mixed in at times

temp rose rapidly from mid20s to 34 between 5Am-6Am when winds inexplicably shifted from NE to SSE :arrowhead:

we are still stuck at 34 in the puke air. there really isnt any cold air upstream for a while.

ottawa picked up 4-8 inches across the city and a 1/4 inch ice.

Ginxy, the mountain will be in great shape for you.

Will, any clue why my area had very little icing compared to Westminster and Princeton?

I know some had fallen off but what remained was only like 1/8" or so thick

Wachusett got impressive icing Friday that was still there Saturday. I assume some of what you saw was from then

34.1F attm

32.5\32

High was 33.5

Your high is probably yet to come this evening. You are still holding onto that CAD airmass. Hopefully we can advect this putrid airmass out in the next 3-6 hours and at least get it back to below freezing. Refreeze this 25" brick which has softened up in the past 3-4 hours.

Picked up 1.3" of ... stuff. Looks like a lot of sleet with a crust of freezing rain-induced ice. The Mountain Mover won't be effective on it - time to whip out the spade shovel. It's a push on the snowpack with 34" the current depth.

Wow, nice. I was just looking back at how you gained that snowpack, but you managed to avoid a lot of these torch events.

Ginxy, the mountain will be in great shape for you.

Will, any clue why my area had very little icing compared to Westminster and Princeton?

I know some had fallen off but what remained was only like 1/8" or so thick

Wachusett got impressive icing Friday that was still there Saturday. I assume some of what you saw was from then

34.1F attm

Well if you just got home in the last couple hours, then a lot of your ice probably melted/fell off when the wind picked up a bit and nudged the temp a few above freezing.

In the past two CAD setups, Princeton and Westminster would be more favorable anyway as they would have more of an upslope component to the wind than you...also the coldest boundayr layer air probably banked right up against the spine there...so even though you got icing, there were just a couple minor components less favorable than those other areas. When its marginal, it adds up to making the difference between what you saw in your BY Friday vs Wachusett area on Friday night.

Wow, nice. I was just looking back at how you gained that snowpack, but you managed to avoid a lot of these torch events.

Yeah the CAD capital of New England from near dendrite over to S ME (and northeastward) has gained snow pack quite nicely since they really avoided the worst of that torch between Feb 17-19 and of course actually picking up like 10-12" of snow on Friday vs just a few inches here compressed by ZR.

They are about 10" ahead of me now for snow pack where it was the opposite when I was up at 37-38" in early February.

Well if you just got home in the last couple hours, then a lot of your ice probably melted/fell off when the wind picked up a bit and nudged the temp a few above freezing.

In the past two CAD setups, Princeton and Westminster would be more favorable anyway as they would have more of an upslope component to the wind than you...also the coldest boundayr layer air probably banked right up against the spine there...so even though you got icing, there were just a couple minor components less favorable than those other areas. When its marginal, it adds up to making the difference between what you saw in your BY Friday vs Wachusett area on Friday night.

I got home around 3:30, there was little lieft then. I had been on Rte 2 just before that and saw the much more sig icing in N. FIT, Princeton, and Westminster. Very similar to Friday

Even Leominster seemed to do better. Good reasoning on your part and good pics. Thank you

(don't get me wrong, I am happy there was not much ice here) :thumbsup:

Yeah the CAD capital of New England from near dendrite over to S ME has gained snow pack quite nicely since they really avoided the worst of that torch between Feb 17-19 and of course actually picking up like 10-12" of snow on Friday vs just a few inches here compressed by ZR.

They are about 10" ahead of me now for snow pack where it was the opposite when I was up at 37-38" in early February.

I need a March 18 1956...but you guys would hate me.

Your high is probably yet to come this evening. You are still holding onto that CAD airmass. Hopefully we can advect this putrid airmass out in the next 3-6 hours and at least get it back to below freezing. Refreeze this 25" brick which has softened up in the past 3-4 hours.

You have 25 inches at your aprtment at 700 feet?

You have 25 inches at your aprtment at 700 feet?

No, I was going by the snow stake on winter hill about 100 feet higher than me which is where I've been comparing measurements....my place in front actually has like 28" but it never gets any sun, lol. The other side of the road probably has 16" where it torches in the sun. Avg is still probably close to 2 feet.

But I actually have a snow stake at the other place which is a lot easier than trudging around trying to take 10 measurements here. The difference is pretty negligible regardless. I don't notice much of a difference until I'm down below 600 feet or so more toward downtown where its more urbanized.

Yeah, the torches have been pretty timid this year in these parts. My snowfall total is just a bit above normal for the date but the snowpack is just a few inches below my '08 high of something greater than 36" (my stake only goes that high - need a four-footer. lol) when I had ~ 120" for the season.

No, I was going by the snow stake on winter hill about 100 feet higher than me which is where I've been comparing measurements....my place in front actually has like 28" but it never gets any sun, lol. The other side of the road probably has 16" where it torches in the sun. Avg is still probably close to 2 feet.

But I actually have a snow stake at the other place which is a lot easier than trudging around trying to take 10 measurements here. The difference is pretty negligible regardless. I don't notice much of a difference until I'm down below 600 feet or so more toward downtown where its more urbanized.

You've got a few more inches OTG than me. I 'm prob back to 18 after today..don't have a stake though..Sville had 23 this morning supposedly

You've got a few more inches OTG than me. I 'm prob back to 18 after today..don't have a stake though..Sville had 23 this morning supposedly

Avoiding net losses seems to be the main thing right now in differentiating snow pack. I noticed weenie ridge has caught up to me. I was probably 8-10" more than them 2 weeks ago, but the combo of them avoiding torches a bit better and then holding onto to that thicker icing has really helped them. Also they did get more snow than me on Friday by 2-3"...but obviously most of what they have made up is losing less pack during the milder days.

Archived