joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 28 potential ice discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you and ray have a nice race goin....gotta think it's close but IMO you pull away by about 5 in the end. one good elevation thump mid-late march. otherwise if you got 4 today ray needed to pull a 7 or so to try and create a cushion for damage done with a future elevation event. .

Yea, Will is probably gonna beat me, but I have a shot @ Kev if La Nina keeps running the show

Yeah sounds right...it should be pretty icy for several hours tomorrow morning though I think just about all of us in SNE do flip to rain eventually...perhaps maybe extreme N ORH cty or Monads hold onto mostly ice.

At least it will be daytime so I can watch the trees coming down instead of hiding under my covers as shotgun blasts go off

Wachusett had at least a quarter inch of accretion just from Friday.

For once I hope you are wrong and we get (gulp) cold rain

Yea, Will is probably gonna beat me, but I have a shot @ Kev if La Nina keeps running the show

yes true.

funny thing is i have no real shot other then a tremendous fluke of beating out you guys....like stuck under a deform band for 5 hours lol...but with that being said even without a JP i am not that far off......i have been pleasently suprised how well W. framingham has done this year.

At least it will be daytime so I can watch the trees coming down instead of hiding under my covers as shotgun blasts go off

I really doubt we get shotgun blasts, even if we get .25'' of ice.

Dews all the way back into my area are now in the low 20's.. and continue to drop...temps down to 24.1

I wonder if models will be able to pick up on the extent of Steve's LL cold

I figured the cold would sneak up to your fanny...lol.

26 here. Still some flurries now and then, but I just talked to the folks and they had messenger flakes all day with a little over 3" I guess.I wonder if my area can hold onto the cold too for a couple of hours.

It shouldn't be terrible on the trees tomorrow...don't think enough accretion will happen for tons of large limbs to come down. The biggest impact will be on the roads early on since it could be a ZR in the mid 20s for awhile.

We'll see what happens, but my guess is that I get a very minor glaze, before the wind shifts to the ene and I prompty rise to 32.0000000000000001.....but I think about 2-3 mi n of me is in for a hurting, tmw morning.

I'm wondering how far north the warmth gets. It's possible you don't get all that warm.

My mom said it was between 4.0-4.5" but I'm calling it about 4"...I'll make any small revisions after further investigation if need be.

Seems like 4-5" was common across Mass. what caused it to bump back up? BOX had initially had more robust numbers but scaled back only to have the original numbers verify. 4.5" here.

I really doubt we get shotgun blasts, even if we get .25'' of ice.

The one scary part is that there's a lot of snow on the trees...especially the evergreens. I haven't been in CON since Friday, but they had quite a wet snow plastering there. There were many branches hanging over lines on Manchester St. Even if the heavy rates wouldn't normally allow for it all to glaze over tomorrow on the branches, in this case the snow on the trees will allow some of the r/zr to be absorbed too. It all adds up to a lot of weight on the branches.

The one scary part is that there's a lot of snow on the trees...especially the evergreens. I haven't been in CON since Friday, but they had quite a wet snow plastering there. There were many branches hanging over lines on Manchester St. Even if the heavy rates wouldn't normally allow for it all to glaze over tomorrow on the branches, in this case the snow on the trees will allow some of the r/zr to be absorbed too. It all adds up to a lot of weight on the branches.

Yeah, I actually noticed that today. I was surprised that even though the snow was light and fluffy, the evergreens were still totally plastered.

EDIT: As I look out my window, there are a lot of non-evergreens that are plastered too. Interesting...

Dnt think it will be bad on the roads, after sun rise.

Morning commute could be an issue...mostly before 9am. Even though its late Feb or almost March, you can still have nasty roads, esp in the morning if the low level cold air is quite potent and the overcast is thick like it will be tomorrow AM.

Feb 28, 1995...exact 16 year anniversary tomorrow. That was a skating rink almost the entire day on the pavement. I think even downtown BOS had nasty ice covered roads for the morning commute anyway.

Now if we creep up to like 30F pretty quickly after precip commences...then it won't be as much of an issue.

Just drove up 93 and thru CON...yup, tons of snow on the trees. Could be a nasty day tomorrow. Going to get up early and get some snow off my roof. Incredible amount of snow out there...Even though the amount is similar to what we had Feb 2, it seems like there is more.

Morning commute could be an issue...mostly before 9am. Even though its late Feb or almost March, you can still have nasty roads, esp in the morning if the low level cold air is quite potent and the overcast is thick like it will be tomorrow AM.

Feb 28, 1995...exact 16 year anniversary tomorrow. That was a skating rink almost the entire day on the pavement. I think even downtown BOS had nasty ice covered roads for the morning commute anyway.

Now if we creep up to like 30F pretty quickly after precip commences...then it won't be as much of an issue.

That was the best icestorm I've ever witnessed. The ice was on the trees for about 2 days or so after it seemed.

Just drove up 93 and thru CON...yup, tons of snow on the trees. Could be a nasty day tomorrow. Going to get up early and get some snow off my roof. Incredible amount of snow out there...Even though the amount is similar to what we had Feb 2, it seems like there is more.

I'm around 35" right now...Feb 2 I peaked at 32". The R/ZR/IP should kill a lot of the fluff from today, but the monster base is set for hopefully another biggie down the road.

geez be careful . seems like icing glaze could start in the weehours and your going up on the roof at the beginning of an ice storm?

Archived