amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb 28 potential ice discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

geez be careful . seems like icing glaze could start in the weehours and your going up on the roof at the beginning of an ice storm?

Actually it'll be my partner and he'll be on a ladder. I'll be balancing the ladder and offering encouraging words of support...while snow falls on my head from the roof. Just want to open some paths for the water to escape.

Besides, I'm not in the northern half of VT NH and ME, where nobody lives, and Forky has assured me that I won't have an ice problem.

Actually it'll be my partner and he'll be on a ladder. I'll be balancing the ladder and offering encouraging words of support...while snow falls on my head from the roof. Just want to open some paths for the water to escape.

Besides, I'm not in the northern half of VT NH and ME, where nobody lives, and Forky has assured me that I won't have an ice problem.

well still if its fzr i would wait till later or hire some neighborhood kid......unless your roof is showing signs of sagging inside /leaking. but perhaps i'm being overly cautious...just seems ....crazy lol. you may not even break 32 tommorrow!

Lol

Don't get yourselves killed. How much snow on your roof?

We are fortunate that the warmth 10 days ago cleared most of ours before these lady few events

well still if its fzr i would wait till later or hire some neighborhood kid......unless your roof is showing signs of sagging inside /leaking. but perhaps i'm being overly cautious...just seems ....crazy lol. you may not even break 32 tommorrow!

We live on a country road so there's no neighborhood kids...lol. But don't worry we'll be careful. Thanks you Pickles! Actually we've had some damming and a roof leak this winter...very disturbing so we are hypersensitve to it.

Lol

Don't get yourselves killed. How much snow on your roof?

We are fortunate that the warmth 10 days ago cleared most of ours before these lady few events

The prob is 2fold: almost 18 inches in 48 hours, the first 10 of which were fairly wet and heavy. Now a significant qpf event that could just soak right in and make the snow heavy. I, like Brian, am also worried about trees with a whole lot of snow on them and now freezing rain and sleet.

The prob is 2fold: almost 18 inches in 48 hours, the first 10 of which were fairly wet and heavy. Now a significant qpf event that could just soak right in and make the snow heavy. I, like Brian, am also worried about trees with a whole lot of snow on them and now freezing rain and sleet.

Well water is water, be it snow ice or liquid. So if it soaks in it would be like 28" of snow depending on the pitch. Do you have a rake?

Good luck. Maybe call a roofer? $$$

The one scary part is that there's a lot of snow on the trees...especially the evergreens. I haven't been in CON since Friday, but they had quite a wet snow plastering there. There were many branches hanging over lines on Manchester St. Even if the heavy rates wouldn't normally allow for it all to glaze over tomorrow on the branches, in this case the snow on the trees will allow some of the r/zr to be absorbed too. It all adds up to a lot of weight on the branches.

This is my concern too. White pine needles are very fine but most of the white pines in my area are snow ladden. That extra area will capture much more freezzing rain than a bare pine tree would.

or 911 to the house next door...once you've got the latter up... as a precaution lol

yeah, got the rake...in a battered state after this winter, but still able to pull down some snow. Wont' be standing on roof, just standing on ladder leaned again roof. 28 inches is a lot to have on a roof, even a fairly new one like ours. seeing a leak is a "pit in the stomach" experience.

Occasional breaks down there? I haven't been outside, but I was under 17F an hour ago, but now it's back up to 19F. I assume it's all variable cloudiness related.

Mostly cloudy but there are a few breaks. I'm sort of interested in a bit of a sick way to see if this snow on the trees will induce more breaking than previously thought...

You're right. Probably need a half inch for big damage to start.

Driving will stink. I wonder if school delays show up tonight

I doubt it. "Advisory" doesn't mean squat in my opinion.

Kinf of like the scene in Jaws when the mayor says: "you shout 'barracuda' and people say 'what'?'. You shout "shark", and you've got a panic on the Fourth of July".

No one's buying toilet paper for an advisory.

Morning commute could be an issue...mostly before 9am. Even though its late Feb or almost March, you can still have nasty roads, esp in the morning if the low level cold air is quite potent and the overcast is thick like it will be tomorrow AM.

Feb 28, 1995...exact 16 year anniversary tomorrow. That was a skating rink almost the entire day on the pavement. I think even downtown BOS had nasty ice covered roads for the morning commute anyway.

Now if we creep up to like 30F pretty quickly after precip commences...then it won't be as much of an issue.

Since the roads here aren't plowed very well (these parts they don't plow the roads real gud), the slickness issue can be mitigated as it's granular rather than on pavement.

25.3/22

It has the winter feel out. Just had to run to the store..icy sidewalks..snow on trees....then you read Box's AFD and you'd think we're under a mdt risk..lol.

".....2M TEMPS AND MOS GUIDANCE SUGGESTS SFC TEMPS AOB FREEZING AT PRECIP ONSET IN THE INTERIOR SO AREAS OF FZRA LIKELY LATE TONIGHT AND MON MORNING..."

:unsure:

I doubt it. "Advisory" doesn't mean squat in my opinion.

Kinf of like the scene in Jaws when the mayor says: "you shout 'barracuda' and people say 'what'?'. You shout "shark", and you've got a panic on the Fourth of July".

No one's buying toilet paper for an advisory.

the kids are lucky your not the superinteneded making decisions on delays'. ...." the buses have good tires ...ya the kids will be fine besides......wha's that .......my diet coke is ready? ....oh thanks" jk

Archived