• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Baltimore/DC Rolling Obs Thread

WxUSAF

In Northwest DC, this reminds me of Dec. 26. Constant very light snow/flurries that coats the ground, but appears likely to struggle to reach even a half inch. Temperatures also seem about the same as they were that day. .. Meanwhile, you look at the radar and see Norfolk and Virginia Beach and other areas of the south get snow. Only thing missing is knowing New York is getting burried while I look at this constant light snow that isn't amounting to anying. If this storm somehow finds a way to shift track and o gives Philly or New York even 1 inch while I have this, I am going to lose it in the a.m.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Northwest DC, this reminds me of Dec. 26. Constant very light snow/flurries that coats the ground, but appears likely to struggle to reach even a half inch. Temperatures also seem about the same as they were that day. .. Meanwhile, you look at the radar and see Norfolk and Virginia Beach and other areas of the south get snow. Only thing missing is knowing New York is getting burried while I look at this constant light snow that isn't amounting to anying. If this storm somehow finds a way to shift track and o gives Philly or New York even 1 inch while I have this, I am going to lose it in the a.m.

Calm down...you don't need to lose it. :rolleyes:

NNW wind gust to 22 mph - temp has fallen to 24 degrees. Light snow now. Three quarters of an inch on the ground. White lawn and low clouds reflecting light back and forth.

Might as well round it off and add an inch to my sig

Gonna be a cold one Thursday - Last nice cold day before THE BIG WARMUP - a week or more of 60s and no doubt, a HUGE rainmaker. The soil temps will mild up too so if we do manage a fluke snow late in the month it'll be nice to watch but just slush on the ground to quick melt off

Need to get in a nice long jebwalk tomorrow - after this week a fundamental change in the overall pattern will take place - no more cold days for a good while.

SE Virginia is becoming one big green band/blob and it is all snow!

http://radar.weather.../Conus/full.php

Those folks have had one of the greatest winters ever - especially considering their climo.

I hope they get 12 inches of snow! Is there any way for this thing to stall out?

No kidding...even the beach at OBX is far outperforming this place this winter

The best snowstorms are the unforecasted or underforecasted overperformers. These are the snowfalls we all remember. There was a clipper in the 1990s that was forecast to give us light snow. We got five inches of light snow from that clipper, which slowed down and deepened. I know all about it cos I was with friends on the Beltway and we were stuck in traffic for hours.

This snow was underforecasted. We had a 40 percent chance of snow. We were probably only gonna get three flurries at 3am.

Well, I got a green band and three quarters of an inch of fresh sparkly snow and six hours of snow. That gives me about 12 inches on the season - not too bad at all considering the strong La Nina which should have given me a winter full of rain and warm weather with all storms cutting into the Great Lakes.

Twelve inches is five inches short of climo but it was still fun to watch. I got to shovel 5 inches of wet Portland Concrete snow in the psuhoffman storm which was easily one of the best experiences of my life. I LOVED that heavy wet snow so much!!! I got to shovel it and pile it up then the Plow gave me a generous helping of three feet of genuine cement snow which I extracted another three hours of sheer ecstasy from shoveling and piling up some more.

WE got to enjoy lots of good cold weather in December and January but with little snow.

At least it wasn't a true Nina pattern with a billion Lake Cutters and highs in the 70s all winter with rain.

We might get a last minute fluke late month or even early March with the MegaBlock expected in early March but that's a stretch. WE'll have warm climo temps against us, warm soil temps against us, excessive sun angle against us. It would take a cold wave of historic proportions to even keep us near the freezing point in the daytime in early March in DCA. Then if the cold air is so strong - How in Hell could we ever not have a storm shear out or get suppressed, giving the OBX a foot of early March snow? Trying to get a decent last minute snow in DC in early March (barring a repeat of the 1993 Superstorm) is like pitting the Washington Redskins against the Green Bay Packers in the 2012 Superbowl - WE LOSE - 105-0.

I really need to move to Jay Peak, Vermont. I'm tired of this town.

The best snowstorms are the unforecasted or underforecasted overperformers. These are the snowfalls we all remember. There was a clipper in the 1990s that was forecast to give us light snow. We got five inches of light snow from that clipper, which slowed down and deepened. I know all about it cos I was with friends on the Beltway and we were stuck in traffic for hours.

This snow was underforecasted. We had a 40 percent chance of snow. We were probably only gonna get three flurries at 3am.

Well, I got a green band and three quarters of an inch of fresh sparkly snow and six hours of snow. That gives me about 12 inches on the season - not too bad at all considering the strong La Nina which should have given me a winter full of rain and warm weather with all storms cutting into the Great Lakes.

Twelve inches is five inches short of climo but it was still fun to watch. I got to shovel 5 inches of wet Portland Concrete snow in the psuhoffman storm which was easily one of the best experiences of my life. I LOVED that heavy wet snow so much!!! I got to shovel it and pile it up then the Plow gave me a generous helping of three feet of genuine cement snow which I extracted another three hours of sheer ecstasy from shoveling and piling up some more.

WE got to enjoy lots of good cold weather in December and January but with little snow.

At least it wasn't a true Nina pattern with a billion Lake Cutters and highs in the 70s all winter with rain.

We might get a last minute fluke late month or even early March with the MegaBlock expected in early March but that's a stretch. WE'll have warm climo temps against us, warm soil temps against us, excessive sun angle against us. It would take a cold wave of historic proportions to even keep us near the freezing point in the daytime in early March in DCA. Then if the cold air is so strong - How in Hell could we ever not have a storm shear out or get suppressed, giving the OBX a foot of early March snow? Trying to get a decent last minute snow in DC in early March (barring a repeat of the 1993 Superstorm) is like pitting the Washington Redskins against the Green Bay Packers in the 2012 Superbowl - WE LOSE - 105-0.

I really need to move to Jay Peak, Vermont. I'm tired of this town.

Your dedication to winter weather and snow is unrivaled.

This is one of those instances where not model obsessing helped. I haven't payed attention to any of this stuff and woke up to see a dusting this morning. It was nice to see. Very fluffy and powdery and much nicer to deal with than the last slop. I liked this little bit and glad to see that Ian got some snow on his bday.

Glad to hear that some of you were able to cash in on a bit of snow. The 3" in Charlottsville is quite surprising. Sadly, here in the northern valley the ground is once again bare and dry. Did see a few flakes last night around 9 PM, but that was it.

I read where Norfolk has had 22"+ so far this year, double what we've had up here. A truly miserable winter.

This is one of those instances where not model obsessing helped. I haven't payed attention to any of this stuff and woke up to see a dusting this morning. It was nice to see. Very fluffy and powdery and much nicer to deal with than the last slop. I liked this little bit and glad to see that Ian got some snow on his bday.

the models did quite well imo. once you get down into the sub .1" qpf there's going to be some small error that can have 'meaningful' results. the nws may have played some catch up around here again but things turned up pretty much as planned. one lesson from events like this--and we've had a few-- is it might not be worth making a range so small it's easy to be topped.

Glad to hear that some of you were able to cash in on a bit of snow. The 3" in Charlottsville is quite surprising. Sadly, here in the northern valley the ground is once again bare and dry. Did see a few flakes last night around 9 PM, but that was it.

I read where Norfolk has had 22"+ so far this year, double what we've had up here. A truly miserable winter.

Norfolk cashed in last night. Take a look at the clouds clear out. It's also interesting to see the difference in snowpack type as the high ratio snow from last night in central VA evaporates and melts away and the much denser snows from 15 days ago don't budge 30 miles to the north. Loop will take a minute to load:

10feb2011.gif

euro not quite as warm thruout but still looks like we'll get in on some good warmth before any cooldown returns

sun - u 40s

mon - near 50

tue - u 30s

wed - near 50

thurs - 55-60

fri - 55-60

sat - 60-70

Archived